• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory?

NOT-OKAY

Smash Rookie
I have been wanting to do competitive for a really long time now, but I always lose in For Glory mode! I can destroy almost everyone in for fun (not with items though that's cheating), but I have a 7% win rate in For Glory with over 200 matches. Any tips?

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
First off for-glory is going to be a mixed bag. You can goof off in for fun but in for-glory unless you can win against level 9 CPUs in vs. you'll find yourself getting slaughtered. You main Ness right? Try using his PK fire first off. Secondly abuse Ness's shield and realize that the PSI magnet won't work on all projectiles. Get that forward aerial connecting consistently and go for grabs.
Be warned that most people in for glory do at least somewhat know what they're doing oh and make sure you know your way around your recovery, big plus.

Last edited:

NOT-OKAY

Smash Rookie
First off for-glory is going to be a mixed bag. You can goof off in for fun but in for-glory unless you can win against level 9 CPUs in vs. you'll find yourself getting slaughtered. You main Ness right? Try using his PK fire first off. Secondly abuse Ness's shield and realize that the PSI magnet won't work on all projectiles. Get that forward aerial connecting consistently and go for grabs.
Be warned that most people in for glory do at least somewhat know what they're doing oh and make sure you know your way around your recovery, big plus.
Any suggestions for kill moves? I usually use his back throw, bat, and if they try ledge guarding, PK Thunder

NumberDerp

Smash Rookie
PK Flash is an amazing kill move, but it's hard to know when to use it. What I do with PK Flash is use it as an edge-guard tool. It really puts pressure on the opponent.

His Up-Air is very powerful, and could kill pretty well.

(Also, one thing to keep in mind, PK Thunder sends the opponent the direction the Thunder came from, so if you hit them from the right with it, they'll bounce to the right. Keep this in mind at all times.)

link2702

Smash Champion
a few things...

For glory isn't really "competitive", at in the sense of preparing a player for offline tournaments and such. Final destination only pretty much caused for glory to be shunned by actual competitive players who view it as insulting due to Nintendo basically believing the dumb stereotype that "competitive players only play FD only " which is so far from the truth it's not funny. If you do run into some actual competitive\tournament players, they're likely going to be sandbagging you, and not playing seriously. If you seriously want to get better, go to anthers ladder, not for glory. Players like myself go to for glory 1v1 simply because we "enjoy " it more than for fun mode, but we're well aware of the fact that it in no way really prepares us for anything we'd see in a real competitive/tournament environment.

Second...using items in for fun isn't "cheating/cheap", the whole point of for fun, and items is to not be serious in matches, "cheating" would imply that a player is doing something that gives them and ONLY them, an advantage, hacking to make yourself invincible is cheating, being lucky because a super star spawned right next to you in an item filled match where it could have spawned anywhere, Is not cheating.

Also you'd do well to abandon the mentality of stuff that might be annoying or aggravating that beats you being "cheap" , you're going to find players who frame trap you hard where your in a situation for them to hard punish you, you're going to find folks who projectile camp you to hell and back forcing you to sift through a wall of incoming projectiles, you're going to find players who counter pick you with a character who does extremely well against yours and shuts down most of your characters options, you're going to find players who always pick high tiers, who always use their characters safest move(s) on you, no matter how "boring" and annoying to you it might be.

None of those things are "cheap", it's all fair game, and it's your responsibility to learn how to handle it, whether by picking a high tier or counter pick to their character yourself, or using any of the tactics above, from frame trapping to camping to heavily abusing your safest moves, it's all fair game and it's how competitive gaming works, if it's part of the game and either player is capable of it, it's not "cheap".

Sure some things might be overpowered, (pre nerf bayonetta) and maybe in need of fixing, but until Nintendo does, it's fair, likewise that should only happen in extreme cases, something like projectile camping, which has very well known counters(characters with reflectors) shouldn't be nerfed just cuz it's an annoying to fight against.

*whew* that was a pain to type up on a phone.....

To be fair, plenty of times I've complained about stuff cuz I was frustrated, but at the end of the day I accepted the fact that I was just outplayed by my opponent.

NOT-OKAY

Smash Rookie
a few things...

For glory isn't really "competitive", at in the sense of preparing a player for offline tournaments and such. Final destination only pretty much caused for glory to be shunned by actual competitive players who view it as insulting due to Nintendo basically believing the dumb stereotype that "competitive players only play FD only " which is so far from the truth it's not funny. If you do run into some actual competitive\tournament players, they're likely going to be sandbagging you, and not playing seriously. If you seriously want to get better, go to anthers ladder, not for glory. Players like myself go to for glory 1v1 simply because we "enjoy " it more than for fun mode, but we're well aware of the fact that it in no way really prepares us for anything we'd see in a real competitive/tournament environment.

Second...using items in for fun isn't "cheating/cheap", the whole point of for fun, and items is to not be serious in matches, "cheating" would imply that a player is doing something that gives them and ONLY them, an advantage, hacking to make yourself invincible is cheating, being lucky because a super star spawned right next to you in an item filled match where it could have spawned anywhere, Is not cheating.

Also you'd do well to abandon the mentality of stuff that might be annoying or aggravating that beats you being "cheap" , you're going to find players who frame trap you hard where your in a situation for them to hard punish you, you're going to find folks who projectile camp you to hell and back forcing you to sift through a wall of incoming projectiles, you're going to find players who counter pick you with a character who does extremely well against yours and shuts down most of your characters options, you're going to find players who always pick high tiers, who always use their characters safest move(s) on you, no matter how "boring" and annoying to you it might be.

None of those things are "cheap", it's all fair game, and it's your responsibility to learn how to handle it, whether by picking a high tier or counter pick to their character yourself, or using any of the tactics above, from frame trapping to camping to heavily abusing your safest moves, it's all fair game and it's how competitive gaming works, if it's part of the game and either player is capable of it, it's not "cheap".

Sure some things might be overpowered, (pre nerf bayonetta) and maybe in need of fixing, but until Nintendo does, it's fair, likewise that should only happen in extreme cases, something like projectile camping, which has very well known counters(characters with reflectors) shouldn't be nerfed just cuz it's an annoying to fight against.

To be fair, plenty of times I've complained about stuff cuz I was frustrated, but at the end of the day I accepted the fact that I was just outplayed by my opponent.
Thanks for the reply! I need to check out Anther's Ladder. And I wasn't calling For Glory competitive; I just want to get in the competitive scene with practice in For Glory (sorry for the poor wording)

NOT-OKAY

Smash Rookie
a few things...

This site is great! Thank you so much for suggesting it

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I only play some For Glory 1-on-1 matches just to have fun and ****.

If you want to improve your competitive skills, then playing with a friend, Anther's Ladder or going to a local tournament is the best way to go. For Glory ain't the answer.

NOT-OKAY

Smash Rookie

If you want to improve your competitive skills, then playing with a friend, Anther's Ladder or going to a local tournament is the best way to go. For Glory ain't the answer.
I've been using Anther's Ladder after link2702 recommended it and it's great! I'm also planning on entering a local tournament sometime soon but I'm not sure when.

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice

I have a query about this. First of all most FG players demolish me so I was told not to move up until I can win there. 2 years later, I still never win xD

Anyway due to my time zone nobody is ever online in Discord or Anthers communities. Anthers is extraordinarily toxic in my experience - although I do better on Battlefield I keep meeting the rudest players. I also prefer 3ds for its controls, lack of name tag bullies and because I find it easier to concentrate so the pool only gets thinner. I physically cannot reach my nearest local scene due to breathing issues.

Which leaves For Glory as my only go-to option. Is this acceptable?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I have a query about this. First of all most FG players demolish me so I was told not to move up until I can win there. 2 years later, I still never win xD

Anyway due to my time zone nobody is ever online in Discord or Anthers communities. Anthers is extraordinarily toxic in my experience - although I do better on Battlefield I keep meeting the rudest players. I also prefer 3ds for its controls, lack of name tag bullies and because I find it easier to concentrate so the pool only gets thinner. I physically cannot reach my nearest local scene due to breathing issues.

Which leaves For Glory as my only go-to option. Is this acceptable?
I'm pretty much the same way. I win some, I lose some but nothing changes for me. My town doesn't even have a Smash scene and I could never get myself to go to Anther's Ladder nor have any friends who are active. Besides, I'm not aiming to "git gud" anyways.

Top Bottom