• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory... Or for Grab? (need tips against grabbers)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hello everyone,

Since the release of Smash 3DS, I enjoy going in for Glory time to time (... most of the time, actually), but there's one thing that irritate me: people who grab constantly.

As previously, without online battles (Brawl's online never existed), I only played against friends who weren't that much into grabs, so I'm not that much used to it and I kinda suck to counter it.

Whatever I do, I get grabbed. Spotdodge? Get grabbed! Attack? Get grabbed through it! Roll? Nah, you stay here. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but this is somewhat annoying.

So, any tips against this?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Grab armor got removed (I thought?) in Smash 4, so they shouldn't be grabbing you through attacks.
Spotdodge is another appropriate option. If you're getting grabbed, then you're not timing it right. Either that, or the opponent expects it, and delays their timing. It could be that Zelda's spotdodge is bad. Rolling doesn't allow punishes, of course you're gonna get grabbed.
TL;DR git gud lel (am jokes)
Also, which characters are grabbing? I grab with Falcon because it's a reliable approach, and it's difficult to punish. Fox has a decent dash grab, and it's easy to predict when I'm facing a shield-happy opponent, especially when they're landing or trying to force a favorable position (usually closer to center stage). I normally don't grab against Zelda because they usually have a lot of safe options to get back to the ground and away from me (Nayru's Stall, Faroe's Mix-up), and try to make me approach with Din's Lagfest (which is super easy to punish).
I'm also under the impression that Zelda's grab isn't good.

Last edited:

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
I think Zelda is a slightly slower character, so maybe it's easier to read the spacing and race in for a grab when a move fails, is probably why you're experiencing grabs a bit more. I don't have any advice on how to adjust since I don't play as Zelda, but I wanted to mention it since that's been my impression as a Greninja player.

Biggles

Smash Rookie
Predict the grab, avoid it in any of the ways you can avoid being grabbed (not being there, spot dodge, priority attack in face), punish. People will mix up on you with grab timings, that's how the game works. You have to know their options, identify their patterns, and punish. If someone is repeatedly grabbing you, they are beating you at this aspect of the game. Maybe you're over-using your high lag moves and are easy to punish by grabbing?

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
As a Zelda main, you should be relying on grabbing yourself. I don't know if you do or you don't, but given your complaint, it isn't hard to assume that you don't grab back. Anyways, to answer you:

Nayru's Love.

Use Nayru's Love, it works as a brilliant spacer to protect yourself if you end up in an awkward position relevant to your opponent. That should work for making her/him reluctant to stubbornly approach you. It eats up a ton of shield (if they pull a shield up in time) and can be used to punished roll-happy people plenty.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Toon links hookshot got buffed a lot in this game... also it tricks people near and far... It was horrible in brawl, link/toon link would cry whenever they missed the hookshot and go into I don't want to live anymore state.
Also if someone is grabbing you attack it'll hit them. Don't roll around. Want even better? jump around or throw projectile's. I have a strategy where I try to get grabbed on purpose while I throw a boomerang behind my target and it will come around. if it hits them, I get a free up smash.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Along with Nayrus love being a pretty good anti-grab move People would have a hard time grabbing you if you keep doing short hops with aerials. Dunno how good Zelda's aerials are but I wish you luck.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I dunno, I'd say that they're using set ups that exploit your habits, for me if a person doesn't have a reflect I'd spam a fire ball and then run towards them, this gives them 3 options (4 if they have reflect) jump, defend or get hit, people tend to usually try to block or dodge it which lets me run in and grab them. The most important thing is to be aware of the grab range of different characters, this could mess up your timing for attacking against one because some can grab when you're not too close to them

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
Basically what Biggles, Phenomiracle and KingTeo said in their posts. Nayru's Love also has a bit of invincibility so even if they are already in the process of doing their grab animation you'll eat right through it. I learned that the hard way when I was facing DarkM of The Odo Faction.

Top Bottom