• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory Kind of Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBC7

Smash Ace
After having played a large amount of local and online, I can conclude that I prefer local play much more.

I find that rolling isn't nearly as prominent which means that fights are an actual test of fundamentals and tech rather than a test of how often you can hold R and flick the stick left or right. This is a big one for me because all D-Smashs become more viable if the opponent does decide to roll, since you can read it without any lag preventing what could've been a kill. I find that far too many times, I pull out a D-Smash in order to kill a roller, but the battle lags out and allows the opponent to see their potiental mistake and fix it(ie rolling an extra time before I get a chance to release D-Smash). This is not only annoying, but unfair since you can still make a correct read and fail to punish, which wouldn't happen often locally. Rolling is just easier to punish in general, locally.

For Glory also has problematic frame-skipping. Many moves that would be easy to see coming without lag suddenly seem like they are instantaneous attacks. Little Mac's Side B, Sheik's Needles, and Marth's Shield Breaker come to mind. You feel cheated when they get you with one of these while the frames were skipping. It's the main reason why characters like Blanka in SFIV are monsters online but are horrible locally, although the aforementioned characters are probably good no matter what. This also makes it harder to use some moves such as Metal Blade(8 directions become difficult) and Dancing Blade.

You also know who you're playing with when you play local. This allows you to adjust to their playstyle and learn how to fight people who use their strategies. Many FG players really on lag-based strategies in order to get the results they want, your friends just want to improve with you by fighting you. You also learn how to deal with Custom Moves, certain neutral/counterpick stages instead of primarily FD/Omega, and you also learn how to be a better player instead of one that relies on 3DS Wireless to win.

Although the real reason I'm writing this is because I got gimped by Little Mac and now I hate For Glory's guts. I was going to Up B to avoid it but FG just has to delay inputs, skip frames and get me killed.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
Fighters just weren't meant to be played online. Absolutely anything that requires strict timing or reaction goes out the window and there's really nothing that can be done about it.

So yeah, I pretty much agree, but I think most people should've seen those issues coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom