• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory (How to Punish Spammers)

SuperWildYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I recently got into Smash 4 Wi-Fi for Glory. Besides the lag, it is actually very fun. I really have learnt a lot on how to play characters and their match ups and combos.

Though one thing that grinds my gears is the spammers. The ones like toon link or Dunk Hunt spamming the projectiles. The rollers who roll all the time. I would like to know how to optimally punish those kind of things. Along with this is the people who spam air dodge, ect. I'm sure if these players would play against Zero or Nairo, they wouldn't have a chance.

Also I would like to hear your stories and techniques on how you punish spammers. Give your stories.

D

Deleted member

I use pit to do this i can deflect projectiles and send them flying with side x and then combo off of it with up a and keep spamming that meet spam with spam

D

Deleted member

If your opponent tries roll a lot try punish the rolls. Read which direction they go and act accordingly. It can be tough but soon after practice, you will get the hang of it. Also air dodgeing is easy to read. Start your attack a soon as their air-dodge animation and their invincibility frames are over. It takes precision, but isn't impossible. Also with air-dodgeing, comes massive landing lag. Punish them once they reach the ground. Power shield hit it so you can react accordingly. As far as projectile spammers, force them to approach you, by waiting. Sometimes doing nothing is the most intimidating, or just run hop and use a fair (appropriately spaced of course) that's about all I got other than dont give up and study every character for their weak spot. Hope this helps. :)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Typically the best way to punish anything, spam or no spam, is to "Read" your opponent. Basically, you predict/know what they're going to do in x situation. Everyone has patterns and habits someone can abuse in a match once they catch on. Never be too quick to just throw something out, especially if you know what's coming. You really have to pay attention and observe how your opponent reacts to your own actions. You could also try baiting them, too.

For example, say you're going against a Marth who enjoys to abuse their counters. I've met so many in For Glory (and others who have counters) who seem to think throwing them out three consecutive times in a row is genius (which, no it is not obviously). Best way to punish is just use a grab or stalled attack really.

As for walking roll factories it's all a matter of knowing which direction they choose to go and what they choose to do afterwards.

Most roll spammers just keep rolling from one side of the stage to the other. Others might roll and immediately try an attack of some sort and so forth. For projectile spammers the best thing you can do is try to close the gap by shielding and slowly get closer. Or you can try jumping over their projectiles depending on what the projectile is and if your character has the mobility and means. Some character MUs are harder than others, and if you use a character that does poorly against projectiles or doesn't have the means to get around them well you'll obviously have a harder time, which means patience helps.

Spam sucks, but that's really all there is to it. Patience and reading/reacting to what they do.

SuperWildYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Typically the best way to punish anything, spam or no spam, is to "Read" your opponent. Basically, you predict/know what they're going to do in x situation. Everyone has patterns and habits someone can abuse in a match once they catch on. Never be too quick to just throw something out, especially if you know what's coming. You really have to pay attention and observe how your opponent reacts to your own actions. You could also try baiting them, too.

For example, say you're going against a Marth who enjoys to abuse their counters. I've met so many in For Glory (and others who have counters) who seem to think throwing them out three consecutive times in a row is genius (which, no it is not obviously). Best way to punish is just use a grab or stalled attack really.

As for walking roll factories it's all a matter of knowing which direction they choose to go and what they choose to do afterwards.

Most roll spammers just keep rolling from one side of the stage to the other. Others might roll and immediately try an attack of some sort and so forth. For projectile spammers the best thing you can do is try to close the gap by shielding and slowly get closer. Or you can try jumping over their projectiles depending on what the projectile is and if your character has the mobility and means. Some character MUs are harder than others, and if you use a character that does poorly against projectiles or doesn't have the means to get around them well you'll obviously have a harder time, which means patience helps.

Spam sucks, but that's really all there is to it. Patience and reading/reacting to what they do.
Thank you for the great advice. What would be your advice for a spam b sonic?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Acting based on where the opponent will be and what he will be doing in the near future is more effective than reacting on what he is doing at the moment. Since spammers are predictable you should be able to do the former by predicting them.

e.g, with roll spammers I often attack behind my with a strong attack and let the spammer roll right into it during the start up lag.

If you are even more advanced at beating spammy noobs then you can even try to bait the predictable behavior. e.g. if someone always rolls behind you when he is sandwiched between you and the ledge than sandwich him between you and the ledge when he is at KO range. Against really bad spammers I often plan well in advance what I will make him do during his stock and how I will damage rack and kill him.

Top Bottom