• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool to UpB kills

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
This is actually really cool. I'm definitely gonna try this out at my next tournament this weekend and get back to everyone about whether or not this is realistic and consistent. By the look of it, this should be guaranteed a lot of the time since the footstool is untechable and has a lot of (hit?)stun. I suspected that footstools would shape the meta. Hopefully this is the case because this could be a solid option for everything: damage combos, kills, etc.

buzzard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BuzzardU
Really cool. I wonder how hard it is to pull that off. I'll have to try.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Okay, I've messed around with this, and As cool as it is, it's usually not worth the trouble. Any instance you can get a footstool, it'd usually be easier to go for a dair or nair for just as much damage and more reliability. Maybe it has use for kill setups, but Zelda simply can't get infinites or jab resets or even extended combos out of footstools.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Okay, I've messed around with this, and As cool as it is, it's usually not worth the trouble. Any instance you can get a footstool, it'd usually be easier to go for a dair or nair for just as much damage and more reliability. Maybe it has use for kill setups, but Zelda simply can't get infinites or jab resets or even extended combos out of footstools.
Good to know that the damage combo application is inconsistent/beat out by other options. I'm mostly interested in it as a kill option since it looks like it ought to be a guaranteed combo at kill percents from dtilt.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Good to know that the damage combo application is inconsistent/beat out by other options. I'm mostly interested in it as a kill option since it looks like it ought to be a guaranteed combo at kill percents from dtilt.
I'm not certain it true combos, but out of dtilt, it appears to only reasonably work at kill percent for fast falling characters, most notably Fox and Falcon (possibly Shiek? Need more testing). Other characters can be hit as with the Rosalina example, by hitting them at high percents when they are below the ledge. This relies on them DI-ing toward the stage otherwise it just sets up an edgeguard or suicide Up-B (which may be guaranteed?)

Last edited:

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna test this later tonight and see. You can footstool out of downthrow (or upthrow) at low-medium percentages, but anything above 60%* (I'll get around to making a chart eventually) characters like Sheik can act before you can land a footstool and even then it's probably not going to be used as a KO setup. This seems like a very good tool to gain stage control and very strong vs. characters who are vulnerable off stage, the down side is it gives plenty of time to DI.

Top Bottom