• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool OoS

powerpaul95

Smash Rookie
Sup fellow yoshi main, I was labbing today and I discover a new OoS option that is quicker than nair OoS
First you should check out this video https://youtu.be/OS46kkk6SBg
It explains the concept of footstool OoS

As you guy may know, yoshi have a true footstool combo, it is footstool into nair

So we can do a footstool OoS into nair which is a 4 frame punish instead of the regular nair OoS which is frame 7 (I dont count the shield stun because it varies)
Edit : our jump squad is frame 6, so :
nair OoS = 6+3=9frame
Footstool OoS=6frame
My b

This option is safer than nair OoS in a way since if you miss the footstool you will be less close and it is quicker but you will no longer have your doublejump which can be dangerous. I'd sugest to use it as a OoS mixup on light hit.

Have you find other footstool OoS option than nair ? Could down b or dair works? Lets have a discussion

My notepad :
Nair OoS = frame 7
Foostool OoS = frame 4
Grounded foostool OoS into nair true on :
Mario
Luigi
Yoshi
Rosalina (true if you hit luma first) (hard)
Wario
G&w
Little mac (you have to face the same direction)
Sheik (face the oposite direction)
Duck hunt
King dedede
Charizard
Greninja (face the oposite direction)
D. Mario
Pac man
Mega man
Sonic
Mewtwo

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Grounded footstool > Down B might work but it's defintely not guaranteed. Not sure how many frames the opponent has to react.

Goldenstein64

Smash Cadet
NNID
goldenstein64
3DS FC
3411-1021-7210
Any aerial that doesn't hit instantly will not be able to reach the opponent because of Yoshi's floatiness, so that's out the window.

There not many good options you can use out of a footstool, but this is still an improvement and a new, hip technique, so good find.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Nice, we had this kinda stuff in brawl too. Should mention aerial footstools might be a thing too since you already got opposite directions down. (since that was a factor we needed for FS nair for some reason)

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
...Wait, how is nair oos 7 frames / footstool oos 4 frames? I thought we had 6 frames of jumpsquat??

Goldenstein64

Smash Cadet
NNID
goldenstein64
3DS FC
3411-1021-7210
If the jumpsquat animation is 6 frames, then the punish is in 9 frames for regular Nair and 6 for footstool Nair

However, if this is true, then youc could punish shield with another shield or powershield in the same duration as regular Nair because of 9 frame shield cooldown

Strykrr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Strykrr
3DS FC
3110-5299-9953
Hey, so funny enough I have had my own notepad on this as well! But, my list has a few more characters and on it as well as a few direction differences.

On my list I also had:
Sheik working on both sides (facing the same direction you pull back while doing the nair)
Falcon (facing the same direction only, pull back during the nair)
Palutena (facing the opposite direction only)
Ryu (facing same direction only,pull back nair)
Corrin (facing same direction only, pull back nair)
Pulling back on the nair also allows you to get the confirm on Rosa consistently while she has luma.

If needed, I can get a video showing the difference of pulling back the nair vs. not pull it back, but you can just test and see for yourself as well!

Last edited:
Top Bottom