• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

following up on shine

The Baron

Smash Apprentice
Question as this has been hindering me for a while. I know that wolf's shine sends opponents at a 45 degree upward but I have the hardest time actually knowing which side the opponent ends up on and end up just jumping t he owing out an ariel and praying that I guessed right. I noticed that falco players tend to waveshine before heading into the air to follow up, and wanted to know if this was a good habit to get into and wanted to know if there any way to get the direction I shine them in right.

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
As a Wolf main, I know the struggle of halfway knowing which side they end up on, lol. But, to answer your question; if they are behind you when you shine, they get knocked away from you. If you are facing them when you shine, they get knocked back in front of you. Pretty basic, but I know the pain of jumping the wrong way when you fall on top of them with a shine or jump into one and throw out an aerial the wrong way lmfao. As for wave-shining, it is a very viable thing to do. Although it gets hard to make it a habit. A common shine setup I use (character dependent) on low percents is Dash Attack>UTilt>UTilt>Shine/Grab>BThrow or Dthrow then run up shine for added damage. Also, I really good combo aerial out of shine is Nair, as it carries the oponent down for another shine/whatever you want.
Hope I helped!

Captain Fizzle

Smash Rookie
I almost always waveshine before heading up into the air at low percents. I usually try to waveshine in the direction I think they're going to be knocked back. The reason is it gives you a split second to read their DI to follow up, and by waveshining in the direction you think they're going, even if you guess wrong and they go the opposite way, you still have time to chase them with a DACUS/nair/Dash Attack instead of being in the air throwing out an aerial the wrong way. Especially at low percents, following with a waveshine gives you more options than jumping into the air. For example, if they get knocked back close to you you can do things like waveshine>jab>grab or waveshine>JC waveshine>anything else. If they get thrown up high enough in the air, you can easily follow them into the air with a shine or any aerial. If they DI away from you, you can dash after them and use a JC shine/Dash Attack/nair. If they shield, then there's a good possibility that you'll end up waveshining behind them to punish their grab. Also, learning to waveshine onto platforms especially will net a HUGE improvement on your combo game, as well as general movement.

But everything depends on the situation.

So yeah, waveshining is amazing

Last edited:
Top Bottom