• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Following up after a jab reset.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
I find myself doing this a lot, but I don't really know how I can continue my combo. So I end up panicking and doing a f-smash or a (usually whiffed) short hop u-air.

But what's the most optimal way to follow a jab reset, that will allow me to continue my combos for even longer?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I find myself doing this a lot, but I don't really know how I can continue my combo. So I end up panicking and doing a f-smash or a (usually whiffed) short hop u-air.

But what's the most optimal way to follow a jab reset, that will allow me to continue my combos for even longer?
There are obviously many options, but a few that pop into my mind : D Smash (at high percents), WD into shine (only WD if you're not close enough), Shine if you're close enough. Other things that could work are d-tilt, pivot utilt, maybe even dair.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
against other fast fallers i would probably do one of these strings

up tilt > shine / up tilt / up smash / down tilt / anything
falling up air > up tilt > anything
up smash > up tilt > anything
up throw > up tilt / up smash / regrab > anything

against falcon you should waveshine as much as possibe before using up tilt if you want to do that. you could probably also use down tilt sometimes, but it wouldn't lead to as much stuff as up tilt would. on floatier characters, up tilt or falling up air into stuff (you can probably also get some lasers or other aerials after your combo ends) after waveshining if possible.

Last edited:

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
If in doubt, grab! There's no risk once you confirm your jab reset. Grab sets up combos and at the very least you can get something like uthrow to usmash, uair, bair, whatever. Utilt is something you can explore too since the knockback is super conducive to combos at low to mid percent at KOs at higher percent, but grabs are your basic bread and butter

William Sciambra

Smash Cadet

I would say grab and go from there but it depends on the character and the percent. up smash is fine if you know it will kill but for the most part you should probably grab and combo with taht.

yttik

just treat it like you would any other punish situation, and of course this is melee so there's not one perfect punish or combo you should always go for. if you know how to play fox well enough to do combos regularly and know when to jab reset then your only problem here is panicking, which is a problem you have to deal with yourself over time.

when in doubt though, just flick up on the c stick.

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Shffl upair is typically your best option. Thats why you see upair used in the thunders combo. It leads into upsmash or you can regrab depending on percent

Top Bottom