• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Focused Tech Skill Practice Chapter 3 : Lcancel

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I want to combo harder and not being exposed to free punishes as well as reaching edge guards faster.
I don't want to rely on AC Fair and FJ AC Upair/Bair onto platforms for combos.
And so the 3rd chapter in the series will be on Lcancel.

Frame Data: For every character, you can input Lcancels as soon as 7 frames before landing on the ground.
If you successfully Lcancel you will cut your aerial landing lag in half
You can use L, R or Z to do so. It's favourable to use a lightpress on the L/R since it will not register Tech.
Z automatically works as a lightpress.

My current status is that I hit as low as 30% of my Lcancels during friendlies
I really suffer for not being able to act asap out of aerials.

I use L for Lcancels and most of the time I use a hard press.

I want to have above 95% accuracy with a lightpress after I am done with this Focused Tech Skill Practice.

Daily practice goals:

SHFFL Aerial - 30 in a row, starting count over on fail
Run off or WD off FF Lcanceled Aerials in a row
Both the above on a non shielding opponent in practice mode.
And both of the above on shield

After that I will practice SHFFL Dair -> SHFFL Upair on a no DI Fox on FD in practice mode at around 80%
I play PAL so this is actually a regular combo and can be followed up with Fair

I will report back with progress

And as always please share thoughts and/or tips

Last edited:

Azotal

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to dissuade you, because you're right, it is better, but lightpressing may be a bit much to learn right away. I tried to jump into learning l-cancelling with lightpressing, but what ended up happening was I didn't get much better. I found it easier to learn it with hard presses, and then switch to lightpressing over time.

However, I was pressed for time as I put it upon myself to get tournament results more quickly, and l-cancelling correctly was important. If you have the time to dedicate (which it seems you do/you also have the commitment), then good luck! Report back with progress, I'd love to hear how it goes.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
So I have come up with a setup for practicing Lcancels.

You need 20XX for this.
Go to Vs. Mode and set Teams.
Put youself (as port 1) and 3 CPU's on the same team and set infinite time mode.
Press up on the Dpad to force start.

Now toggle a Shield option on for player 2 (I usually use simply shielding or shield grab).
And the toggle infinite shields with down on Dpad.

I feel with this setting practicing Lcancels is alot more fun than vs. a CPU fighting you or the like.
You can easily swap back and forth between on and off shield timings. When you kill one enemy you have another ready to go and you can jump back and forth between them freestyling with moves you wanna use.

Also the CPU's generally have a spot they wanna stay at, so if you hit them off a platform they will emediatly try and go back to where they came from. This is fun because it somewhat resembles hitting an opponent trying to get away from you (slowly though).

--------------

So my Lcancels have improved somewhat practicing them at least 1 hour every day, but I am so so far from where I want them to be.
One huge factor, I suspect, has to do with auto pilotting.
Obviously the timing is different when you hit someone and when you don't.
I tend to not know if I am hitting someone and this mess with me for sure.

I think working on never to auto pilot goes hand in hand with improving on Lcancels.

If you have tips for killing the habbit of auto pilotting in friendlies, please do share.

My understanding is that if all my time playing goes into watching my opponent and reacting to what he is doing I have a harder time auto piloting.
My experience with auto piloting is an evil spiral that sucks you in. When you auto pilot you get punished really hard and tend to mess up tech more often. When I get frustrated my mind comes off the game more or less completely and feed the beast causing even deeper auto piloting

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Thanks for always making quality posts, Trip
Thank you! I hope some of this proves helpful to some of you out there. If anything it helps myself to write down thoughts and ideas. I'd love to be corrected at any time btw, so hopefully someone will pop in with some more response.
Feel free to share anything on the matter

vien

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed I started L-canceling with hardpress. At this point, it would be super hard to break the habit. But hey, When I first started playing competitively, I used tap jump and it took me almost half a year to fix myself.

I'll try to start using Z to L-cancel now. Thanks, Trip!

Last edited:
Top Bottom