• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Focus or variety? How important are side events?

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Items? Final Smashes? Custom moves? Equipment? Smash Run!?

Phew... Things used to be so simple, but Smash Bros. has become a smorgasbord of bizarre and wonderful ways to play. Is any of it worth considering from a competitive standpoint, though? If we ask whether or not any of this weird stuff is relevant to the competitive community, opinions are very mixed.

For many years, there has been a point of contention in our community. There are those of us who love the pure, unadulterated version of Smash we see in competitive Melee, and those that feel like the Smash they love isn't catered for.

To many, the solution seems to be quite simple: "organize your own tournaments". While this might sound like a perfectly reasonable thing to expect people to do, it's not always that easy. A lack of agreement on variant rulesets is likely to hinder progress, and no clear consensus means that people would need to be willing to travel to tournaments that might be poorly envisioned.

So, if we don't want to change the way we play, and splitting the community into two camps is unmanageable, that leaves only one realistic option: side events.

This brings me to a few questions:
  • Is the other side of the community important enough to cater for?
  • If you were to organize a tournament, would you be willing to set up side events for those whose love of Smash is different from your own?
  • Can the promotion of variety bring our latent members into the light, and grow the community?

Morbi

Scavenger
I am an adamant believer that every aspect of the community is important enough to cater towards; however, when dealing with time constraints and a lack of like-minded players, it is not always feasible to cater towards "the other side of the community."

If I were a TO, I would most definitely be willing to set up side events within reason for those whose love for Smash is different than my own. I would feel obligated to do such.

Definitely.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
If the standard is shifted to 2 stock 5 minutes best of 3 for the main tournaments, there may be more time available for side tournaments as well.

Top Bottom