• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Fluff] Something "Off" about Link's Face

Does Link look different in the Wii U Smash Brothers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
He looks like an elf...
He's not an elf, he's a Hylian. :p

Yeah, Link looks weird on the Wii U. Let's see, concept art sometimes doesn't translate well - look at Soul Calibur's awesome art and then look at the game - and other times, it's a stylization thing where the art looks like this, but the in-game render looks like something else - Assassin's Creed's artwork looks like digital art, but gameplay is based on realism.

Anyway, Twilight Princess Link art had him looking leaner, but gameplay made him look a bit more "average" and his face was rounder. Based on the art and game, Brawl Link looked more like a typical elf who had slender facial features. Skyward Sword Link looked more cartoony and human at the same time; his face was round or ovoid and he had bigger or just more expressive eyes. In artwork, though, he had much more sharper features. Then there's Hyrule Warriors Link who looks more masculine or feminine depending on the angle and his expression. Artwork has him looking more masculine.

For SSB4, the 3DS looks like it's just Brawl Link ported over. The Wii U just has the issue with his face and I think it's more about his eyes and proportions. Artwork and render has him with a more leaner and slender face, but Wii U in-game has him with a more scrunched up and rounder face.

That said, you're probably not going to notice during gameplay, but in victory animations and such, it's probably going to be noticeable. Another example would be the Jak & Daxter games or Kingdom Hearts where in-game, the main character's face didn't look that great and usually looked derpy, but in cutscenes, they looked awesome.

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
I think he looks just a bit wolf like. Which makes for a pretty subtle TP reference.

Spoiler Alert. He turns into a wolf there.

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
Is his entire appearance not enough for a TP reference?
I really do wish there was more skyward sword going on, but yeah. Pretty much tp link going on, now with more derpy wolf face!

Though I must admit, I don't see much wrong with his face per say. Except that it brings to mind the creepy baby face salesbro. That much I mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom