• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flubbed Knee <25% can cause trip

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
If you don't know, there are some moves (Ness's dtilt is the most iconic) that have a chance to trip the opponent when you hit them.

I had noticed in my matches, but never really paid attention, but today I decided to test it out.

A flubbed knee from Falcon delivered to an opponent on the ground who is under 25% has somewhere around a 40% chance or so to trip them.

I say 40% because I did a number of tests, and at 25 and 0, the numbers were around 4 or 5 out of 10 knees caused trips. I tested on Pit, Olimar, and Samus, to make sure it wasn't just one character. Obviously, this isn't extensive painstaking testing, but I don't do that stuff, if someone else wants to, go ahead haha.

But I noticed that after 25%, it was often impossible to trip with the flubbed knee. I'm guessing this is because it does some actual knockback, enough so that if it tripped, it would be impractical and mess with the game engine, but I could be wrong. You might get one at like 30% or so, but not past that.

I don't think this is going to give us any kind of real strategy, as it's a random chance, and landing a flubbed knee below 25% so they trip and maybe we can get a tilt off before they recover isn't really any kind of useful...

But it's still cool to know. ;3

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
This is the only redeeming quality of the gimp knee. When it trips your opponent it really is nice because you can Utilt them before they get up again. I've seen this happen many times and I never really equated it with tripping until I read this thread, but yeah it's definitely a cool thing!

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Some attacks will trip moving opponents, like Lucas' downtilt.

At least that's my theory.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so I made a pretty cool discovery just now. I gimp kneed Luigi twice at Green Hill Zone, once when he was at 45% and the other when he was at 60%. Now this might have happened because of some weird thing in the physics engine due to the curvature of the stage, but it at least works there if not anywhere else.

So I did a rematch of Luigi vs. Falcon on Green Hill Zone and I got another two gimp knee trips. Both were in the 40s this time but the main reason I'm saying this is because I saved the replay of it in case anyone wants to see. I was trying to knee him as much as possible to try and get the gimp trip to work so I spammed the knee like crazy. lol Makes for bad gameplay but I did get two trips out of it (and still won lol) so it's worth something I guess. I'll try and get the video up tonight.

Top Bottom