• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floyd Mayweather vs Shane Mosley. Confirmed.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Posted this thread in the Atlantic North. Apparently there are zero boxing fans there =\ So I'm wondering about you guys now.

For those of you who are wondering, this is a boxing match and its definitely a highly anticipated one. Not sure who is a boxing fan in the Atlantic North, but I might as well find out now. =)

Here is the article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=4884208

Mayweather was suppose to fight Paquiao , but the two camps could not agree to drug testing procedures so that fell through. Hopefully they come to an agreement sometime this year because everyone wants to see Paquiao destroy Mayweather in a fight. ;o

Anyways. Mayweather(40-0, 25 KOs) will be fighting Mosley(46-5, 39 KOs). By just numbers alone, its clear although Mayweather is undefeated he does not have much knock out power(And yea..his matches are usually pretty ****ing boring .__. ).

Discuss:
What are your predictions? Who would you bet on?

My prediction:
I believe Mosley will give Mayweather his first lost. I'm quite surprised Mayweather accepted this fight since I always believed he only accepts fights from boxers he is practically guaranteed to win again(Just look at his last fight and his reluctance to fight Paq.). However, this match should definitely be good either way. Mayweather might have to change up his normal boxing style to face Mosley. Although Mayweather's outboxing is fast, I believe Mosley would be able to get inside and do some damage.

If your not into boxing, this would be a great time to start. Its one of the oldest and most exciting sports around. Definitely worth watching and checking out.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I like boxing but I think I like MMA more.

Anyway like you said we all just wanna see Pac-man destroy Mayweather. They both suck for not being able to agree on the fight.

ZeitKuppler

Smash Rookie
Being a space pirate, I hop from planet to planet.
Does that mean both of them are taking illegal drugs? I don't get it.
You can read this article.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4766171

I will try and summarize it:

The Mayweather camp wanted to do random drug tests before the fight, similar to Olympic style drug testing to try and ensure that the fight is as fair as possible. Paq's camp refused the drug test and Paquiou later filed deflamation lawsuit again Mayweather. The Mayweather camp knew Paq has problem with blood tests as he feels it "weakens him". Many people believe that Mayweather never wanted to fight Paq in the first place(Due to his pattern of going against opponents where everyone pretty much knows he is going to win) and this was just harassment of Paq.

So. This being a dumb reason not to have the fight and since theres a TON of money involved, nobody was gonna just give in yet.
So a revised compromise was given to both camps in which Paq's camp agreed but Mayweather's did not. The contents of this compromise is unknown.

In case your wondering if Paq is actually taking illegal drugs, Mayweather Sr. has repeatedly accused Paq of taking illegal drugs even though Paq has always denied it and has NEVER failed a drug test. Paq refuses to take blood tests 30 days before a fight based on his superstition.

Thats pretty much it. Something else that seems pretty interesting:
"In addition, Schaefer told ESPN.com that the sides had agreed on an unprecedented penalty if either fighter weighed in heavier than the contract limit of 147 pounds.

"We agreed to $10 million per pound, or fraction thereof," Schaefer said. "That's what the Pacquiao side wanted and we said OK to that. That's unheard of. We have agreed on everything except for this drug testing issue. I have to think Pacquiao is unaware of this. The drug testing had been part of the contract for a while and then they suddenly said no. I was informed of that [Tuesday] morning. Suddenly they changed course and I don't know why."

Pacquiao wanted a huge monetary penalty if Mayweather was overweight because he ignored the contract limit of 144 pounds for his September fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, coming in at 146 pounds and paying a $600,000 penalty for the extra advantage."

Top Bottom