• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

float cancelling

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
So I'm trying to get more technical with my peach and just started learning to float cancel but I was wondering, is there a specific height from which it's easier to float cancel from or is it just as long as you cancel your float during the attack? Also what are some good ways to counter someone shielding from a float cancelled fair?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you can succesfully FC from any height peaches initial jump can reach to with a FFed fair. you just have to hit down very quickly after hitting right/left. if that is annoying for you then you can also just hit down on the c-stick (this doesnt work in melee, but it does in PM). as long as u start the aerial while in a float, then you will land with 4 frames of lag (no other aerials in this game have any where near close to this little amount of lag). a good way to shield pressure is the classic FC fair > jab > dsmash. alternatively, you can just straight up grab after a FC fair, but characters with quick enough OOS options (bowser, DK, GW, spacees, etc) can, with good enough timing, avoid a grab. to be the safest, jab or dsmash are usually the best options. as any smart peach player would do, i would recomend watching some of armadas videos, as he really brought us a large part of the peach metagame that exists today. Vanz also has some great videos in the peach video thread of PM peach, so would benefit you to watch experienced peaches in action.

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much! Your answer was very helpful

I have been watching armada, vanz, and pretty much any peach videos on youtube lol It's just difficult for me to accurately and consistently produce the kind of speed and precision they execute.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
of course haha. ive mained peach for awhile now, and while i dont have quite the level of technical precision that those guys have, i do know a lot about the character, so im glad to help out any one with a question. but yeah that stuff just takes a lot of practice, and when executed, you have little margin for error, or else you will end up in an unfavorable position, meaning you have to execute quickly and precisely. if you are just getting used to the character, i recommend going into training mode and just WDing around to get used it (peaches WD is unfortunately the most timing strict of all the WDs, if you hit L/R to early or late you will just end up doing an obnoxious, quick float that is years slower. you have to get it just right). also, in the same manor, just jump up, float, and practicing FCing your fairs. when you get the muscle memory, it will be to the point where you have much more control over the execution, and will be able to do it quicker, more spontaneously, and with less initial start required from you thinking about doing it to actually doing it. just having a lot of comfortable control over peach (and really any character that you plan to main) is the overall key to getting better with them, as you can probably guess haha.

in regards to FCing, i would also practice being able to run > immediate float > FC nair. this maneuver is a really good substitute for dash attack when the opponent likes to shield a lot, as you can follow up with a guarenteed jab smash or sometimes grab. more generally, floating directly OOS is very useful for those who like to space attacks.

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much for the help and great tips! I'll try my best to get used to doing them consistently!

Also, I used the standard GC control setup, would you recommend any change in order to grab, footstool, float, shield, etc. more effectively or faster? People have told me to use the standard setup if I'm used to it/ like it more, but the thing is I've never tried other setups... So if you have a recommendation let me know! Thank you once again for your tremendous amount of help already! : )

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
as far as peach goes, i tend to use the standard set up as well. it works for me b/c that is the set up that will be used in melee, and its annoying to switch between two different ones for the same character. also, having tap jump ON is useful because then you have more control over her DJC, and its easy to up b OOS (up b OOS is very useful at getting out of falco and foxes pillars, as they arent entirely frame advantageous, and its peaches quickest OOS at 6 frames). the only time i switch controls is when i play somebody that has a DACUS (for instance, wolf who is my secondary). then i switch Z to attack, and X to grab, and turn tap jump off, but switch L to jump. its really just to maximize the amount of options i can create with my character and to do that in the most efficient way possible. but i see no need to change it from the standard with peach, so thats just my opinion lol. as far as footstools go i never use them with peach. anytime that i would i feel i can do more with a simple aerial. but yeah no problem like i said im always willing to share what i know!

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for being such consistent help! I've been practicing my FC and It's really upgraded my game! I can really sense the improvement! :)

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I wouldn't say significant, as much as not noticeable at first glance.
-Her Down smash now does not do any shield damage if the opponent powershields it, but this is universal for all multiple-hit shield eating characters such as Fox and Falco.
-A certain portion of her nair hitbox, (Like @ her Torso) when sourspotted, does absolutely NO knockback no matter how high the opponents % is.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Yep! ^_^ But the whole Dsmash being Powershielded equating to no shield damage thing still persists.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately that is not an unintentional glitch, but is every bit as stupid.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Heheh, the opponent has to straight up read our Dsmash now. I mean.....not that people haven't been doing that already with FHs XD

DandyLion

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much for the help and great tips! I'll try my best to get used to doing them consistently!

Also, I used the standard GC control setup, would you recommend any change in order to grab, footstool, float, shield, etc. more effectively or faster? People have told me to use the standard setup if I'm used to it/ like it more, but the thing is I've never tried other setups... So if you have a recommendation let me know! Thank you once again for your tremendous amount of help already! : )

I highly recommend setting Z to jump. This brings about many advantages for floating. Most of it relates to being able to instantly float in a direction while using the C stick to use an aerial in any direction. This is especially noticeable when dashing at someone, floating backwards, and starting a fair almost at the same time as the float begins. This is also useful for things like repeated uair's out of ground float. In order to execute a uair at max speed from a ground float, you need to hit up on the C stick while initiating the ground float. I suspect that a ground float uair OoS may also be a very good option to punish poor spacing and lead to a follow up hit.

I use Y to grab and I realized that I like it much more than I ever did Z grab.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
(peaches WD is unfortunately the most timing strict of all the WDs, if you hit L/R to early or late you will just end up doing an obnoxious, quick float that is years slower. you have to get it just right).

I'm not sure this is true. I know which error you mean as I've done it many times myself, but I'm not sure it has to do with the timing of L/R. I'm fairly sure the key to WDing with Peach is to make sure you have fully released the jump button before you press L/R, like you're doing a short-hop with Fox. You can't float unless you're holding jump, after all.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
I highly recommend setting Z to jump. This brings about many advantages for floating. Most of it relates to being able to instantly float in a direction while using the C stick to use an aerial in any direction. This is especially noticeable when dashing at someone, floating backwards, and starting a fair almost at the same time as the float begins. This is also useful for things like repeated uair's out of ground float. In order to execute a uair at max speed from a ground float, you need to hit up on the C stick while initiating the ground float. I suspect that a ground float uair OoS may also be a very good option to punish poor spacing and lead to a follow up hit.

I use Y to grab and I realized that I like it much more than I ever did Z grab.

Oh dang, that's not a bad idea. I might set it to a shield button though, rather than Z.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
I'm not sure this is true. I know which error you mean as I've done it many times myself, but I'm not sure it has to do with the timing of L/R. I'm fairly sure the key to WDing with Peach is to make sure you have fully released the jump button before you press L/R, like you're doing a short-hop with Fox. You can't float unless you're holding jump, after all.

usually that error will be caused by trying to airdodge too early. it's the same error as basically anytime someone accidentally fulljumps in the neutral game with any other character. you try to airdodge too fast and end up inputting it before you've even left the ground, so it gets ignored. and then, since you're holding down+side for the airdodge angle and you're probably still holding x/y you fulljump if you're not peach or you groundfloat if you are.

letting go of jump more quickly while wavedashing will help a bit, since it will turn into a short hop instead of a fulljump or groundfloat, but the error is caused by messing up the airdodge timing, so it's better to just learn that motion better.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
I feel that in order to get the smooth motion of Peach's Wavedash down, you must keep your thumb on Y. (Or X depending on what you prefer). If you let go of X/Y, chances are your motion with the WD will not be as smooth and it will be quite evident that you got your jump out before the airdodge.

Top Bottom