• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Flashy but lacking fundamentals?

kii

Smash Cadet
Something I've noticed from time to time;
It seems like there are some players who do fancy setups, perfect pivots, dash-dance, fox-trot, etc, and yet they have bad fundamentals, and outplayed by f.

Are these new players who are merely trying to learn everything they need to be competitive from the beginning, or are they simply players who think that this stuff is giving them an advantage just by using it over other options? It makes me wonder if these people will be better or worse for it in the long run; If their fundamentals will improve along with the advanced tech, or if they'll be missing out on all the time they could have been spending learning to adapt, rather than using the same tech regardless of the matchup.

I guess all I'm saying is to think about it and make sure you aren't unintentionally making the same mistake. I've played some cool players who just seem like they have some weaknesses they shouldn't have at their level.

Last edited:

Sharp02

Smash Rookie
It's honestly both. Coming from there, we thought it would make us better. Once you learn to play the neutral, thats when the flash crap comes in

TrashWizard

Smash Cadet
NNID
n1nj4t2
I think that one of the main causes for this phenomenon is due to smash 4 content being quite restricted and dont teach the basics, instead of videos teaching fundamentals and how to approach against certain characters, we have (no offense to these channels I personally think they are great) channels like my smash corner and beefy smash doods who are incredibly focused on new technology and combos, the people who are new to smash see things like this and think the technology and combos make you a better player even when you dont know any fundamentals, I personally fell into this trap when I started playing, as I thought that I would get incredibly good at the game if I was really good at tech like perfect pivots (in fact I only started REALLY improving in the last month or so because I basically asked my training partner to give me a crash course in fundamentals) , because of these certain channels essentially either actually or are advertising themselves as the pavers of the metagame, so new players dont learn the metagame from the beginning, they learn it from around where they joined onwards, time will tell if I am right but I'd imagine that alot will agree with me on the sentiment that we need a channel that teaches people the BASICS of how to play and the characters they have, if anyone can direct me to a channel like this PM me and I'll add it to the post. BTW S Sharp02 grats on joining smashboards, hope you have a nice time here!

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'm just hazarding a guess, because I can't do things like perfect pivots myself, but it seems to me like these are people who are both trying to learn how to use these techniques, but also have no idea how to actually apply these techniques. They know they can be powerful options, but end up just using them randomly instead of when they would actually be useful, or keep using them for too long and open themselves up to an easy dash attack. Like I've faced Marths who would start the match off doing perfect pivots before I'm in range, but only a single one has ever PPed into a spaced Fsmash or something as they anticipated my next move. The rest just sort of fall back into standard movement options the moment I start pressuring them.

Last edited:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
As a Bidou user I'll chime in. Many of those techniques have no place in For Glory mode. I'm assuming that is what you're referring to. The movement options are nice but they really don't get much out of the Omega stages. Platforms essentially narrow and pull in the neutral game making the minor movement options from those techniques more substantial.
With that said, For Glory is a crap shoot and no where to judge any player's skill or understanding of the game. Chances are if you see someone comfortably using advanced movement inputs they are probably better outside of For Glory. Personally, if I pick up For Glory I'm not playing to win, but to keep my rhythm and muscle memory sharp. 4's neutral game is ever present throughout and playing to win is a real chore, especially while putting up with input lag, and a limited meta.
I don't watch too much professional streams anymore, but if I remember correctly the pros rarely ever play on Omega stages or Final Destination, if ever at all.

Top Bottom