• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flame Choke BF Platform Tricks

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
EDIT: Seems that @Z1GMA first discovered this. Thanks, Z1GMA!
This thread will serve now as an intro to this trick for those who aren't aware of it, and also as a comprehensive list of which characters exactly it works on.
This works on 18 characters, some of which are trickier match ups for us.
Here's how it's done:
1) Go to battlefield
2) Use side b (either grounded or aerial) under a platform
***aerial works on the entire roster, however, grounded puts you in a better position IMO, as you're safe from the tech > punish. Grounded only works on the 18 listed below***

It's that simple. I doubt this even qualifies as a tech. Probably more of a stage-specific trick.

It probs works on Big Battlefield too, but I have yet to test this.
What this does to certain characters is, it actually pops them up onto the platform instead of landing them on the ground.
This opens up possibilities for followups like up air and nair, among other things. Bair and Upsmash could also be used for hard reads. The platform also protects you from their get up attack most of the time :D
It also makes techchasing MUCH easier, as it severely limits the distance your opponent can tech.

Here are some pics demonstrating this on Diddy Kong:

As you can see, poor defenseless Diddy is left with little options up there. He could tech, but you're still in safe followup range. Plus, the first few times you use this, you likely will have the element of surprise, so teching is unlikely. I also believe that the timing to tech this is much more strict, but I will have to test this more.

Here's a definitive list of who this works on:

-Mario
-Bowser
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Diddy Kong
-Toon Link
-Kirby
-King DDD
-Meta Knight
-Pikachu
-Charizard
-Jigglypuff
-ROB
-Ness
-Villager
-Olimar
-Dr. Mario
-Pac Man

The general rule seems to be that if most of their head pokes above the platform, they'll land on the platform instead of on the ground.

As I said in my Battlefield guide, Aerial Gerudo (aerial side b) works on everybody in the cast, but due to the position it puts you in, it doesn't seem quite as useful. Better as a mixup really. But again, every character can be landed on the platform with aerial side b.

Another thing I mentioned in my guide is how aerial side b can land an opponent from on one of the lower platforms to the top platform. This is even more situational, but if you want to read what I had to say about aerial side b, here's a link to my BF guide:

http://smashboards.com/guides/the-kings-domain-utilizing-ganondorfs-best-stage-updated-1-11-15.168/

There's also a link in my sig.

Just another reason why Battlefield is my favorite stage :D

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I believe even I've seen this mentioned here before, and I have terrible memory for techs.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty. If you could send me a link to a thread or something so I can see for myself, that'd be great.
Like I said. Terrible memory. I only vaguely recall seeing this before, but I'll let the guys point it out better, since I'm not a Ganon main.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Iirc this was in brawl which would explain the lack of mentions.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Iirc this was in brawl which would explain the lack of mentions.
Oooooohhhh. Good point. Could be. I'll check up on that as well.

EDIT: @ Opana Opana Just went and tested it on some of the brawl characters. I didn't see it work on one, not even DDD, whose body is held almost halfway above the platform. This appears to be new to smash 4.

Last edited:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
On Battle Field against ppl who land on the platforms after a Gerudo.
Sure, Gerudo > Usmash is great, especially for killing, but at low %'s, for more damage, I'm liking:

Around 0%: Gerudo > DJ Dair (AC) > Grab > Dthrow > Uair.
Nasty damage. they can sometimes vector to avoid the Uair, though.

Around 20%: Gerudo > DJ Dair (AC) > Sweet Spot Usmash.
56% damage. 19% more than the regular Gerudo > Usmash.

This is when I first heard of it in the 3Ds days although I'm sure any ganon main who plays frequent enough on this stage has come across it at some point.

That said it is nice to finally have a list of who it works on so thanks very much for compiling this.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
This is when I first heard of it in the 3Ds days although I'm sure any ganon main who plays frequent enough on this stage has come across it at some point.

That said it is nice to finally have a list of who it works on so thanks very much for compiling this.
Thanks! Finally someone who knows where they first saw it :D

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah this ain't new. Would make more use of it but in FG mode there are no platforms so yeah.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Yeah this ain't new. Would make more use of it but in FG mode there are no platforms so yeah.
FG? This is meant for use in competitive play, where battlefield is most certainly legal. Anything that gives us even a small advantage vs. diddy, man.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
FG? This is meant for use in competitive play, where battlefield is most certainly legal. Anything that gives us even a small advantage vs. diddy, man.
Right. Only question is how can this apply to other tourney applicable stages with platforms, some of which not at the same height of Battlefield.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Right. Only question is how can this apply to other tourney applicable stages with platforms, some of which not at the same height of Battlefield.
I'm testing the others, but battlefield/big battlefield are the only ones I've found so far

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
@ _Magus_ _Magus_

Last post was about a week ago I see, but please don't test any more platforms; I've already done all that! I commented in one of your other threads as well, but I just noticed this one too. Let me save you a lot of time. I've tested platform heights for almost all of the competitive stages, and my info compilation is coming close to being complete.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
@ _Magus_ _Magus_

Last post was about a week ago I see, but please don't test any more platforms; I've already done all that! I commented in one of your other threads as well, but I just noticed this one too. Let me save you a lot of time. I've tested platform heights for almost all of the competitive stages, and my info compilation is coming close to being complete.
Oh Okay cool! I have done some testing on halberd and taken pics to confirm it. This works on Halberd only if Ganon is in particular spot. I can't wait to see what you post!

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
This works from low platforms to the high one on battlefield.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
This is wonderful news. I was always confused about what I should do when I choke someone, not knowing if they would pop up or stay down. Popping up gives a lot of options, such as up smash, up air, and fair, all needed to deliver massive damage to someone.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
This works from low platforms to the high one on battlefield.
Yeah, I posted pics of that in my BF guide (link in sig)
This is wonderful news. I was always confused about what I should do when I choke someone, not knowing if they would pop up or stay down. Popping up gives a lot of options, such as up smash, up air, and fair, all needed to deliver massive damage to someone.
Ikr? It makes techchasing so much easier now :D

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
If you jump to give you some height before you side b you can get some characters to land on the platform that normally wouldn't.. but doing it this way you land on the platform with them, which may or may not be a good thing.

I imagine you could do this to throw off tech timing as well if they can consistently tech grounded side-b.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
If you jump to give you some height before you side b you can get some characters to land on the platform that normally wouldn't.. but doing it this way you land on the platform with them, which may or may not be a good thing.

I imagine you could do this to throw off tech timing as well if they can consistently tech grounded side-b.
This is also in my battlefield guide. Perhaps I should post some of that stuff here too to save everybody time.

Top Bottom