• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

first tournament help

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
In a few weeks om going to my first tournament at a con, its a fund-raising event for an animal rescue charity.

Im going to be using Duck Hunt as my main as I've been enjoying his play style. As for secondary picks im thinking shulk.

I dont know if custom moves are aloud so in case they are any suggestions for DHD or any thing i should be practicing before the day of?
Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this =D

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have much time to practice customs, it may be worth going default, one of the recoveries are better (the one that goes straight up) but it takes a lot of getting used to, check this thread out if you do end up using customs: http://smashboards.com/threads/submit-your-entry-for-the-top-8-custom-sets-of-duck-hunt.379612/
Otherwise, just keep calm, DHD can be difficult to play in a tournament setting if you're not used to it, that applies to any character but especially DHD, you may forget your patience and throw all smart play out the window. In terms of practice, just play against anyone you have access to locally and find the flaws in your gameplay, if you don't have access to anyone, play For Glory for the mind-game practice, play offline for the stage and character MUs. If you can get some video of your gameplay, we can give you some advice as well.
Since it's a charity event, just have fun, you're doing it for a good cause and DHD is pretty fitting for a animal rescue charity, learn from people who do better than you and talk to them, be proud if you do well.

Finally, don't expect to win, if it's your first tournament you may expect to do well, but sometimes you're outplayed and other times you get an unlucky bracket placement. My first tournament was single elimination, my first match was against the guy who went on to dominate the tournament, and while I did the best against this guy, it didn't matter, I got very last place. Just keep this in mind and learn from people if you do get beaten, I now talk to the guy who beat me frequently as well as other people from that tourney.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Also, play friendlies every chance you get. It's a rare opportunity to connect and get real time advice.

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
Thank you so much for the replys i love the feedback! I have a few replays but i dont know how to upload them to youtube or any thing.
I have noticed that i some times get inpatient in For Glory mode and thats usually when i lose

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Thank you so much for the replys i love the feedback! I have a few replays but i dont know how to upload them to youtube or any thing.
I have noticed that i some times get inpatient in For Glory mode and thats usually when i lose
Phone camera of a TV screen is good enough as long as we can see what's going on, then get them on your PC and upload them. If you do put some replays up, get a replay of one game where you're dominated by the other player, one where it's a close game, and one where you dominate your opponent, then link them in this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-dog-show-duck-hunt-video-thread.383535/
One recommendation for impatient play is to find a relaxing song and listen to it while you play, that's helped me quite a lot in the past.

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
So I've been applying every thing ive been told and uploaded some videos, the tourney is Saturday I'll let you guys know how it went =D

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
Well best of luck poo-gas! Hit me up if you want to run some games before then, I might be able to play and help a little.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I gave some critique on your gameplay on the video thread, good stuff. Best of luck with the tournament! I might be going to a tournament on Saturday as well, so hopefully we both do well.
D H D B O Y Z :4duckhunt:

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
Seeing as how its now Sunday afternoon where i am i figured now is as good a time as any to let you all know how it went.
There was 16 people. 3 stock single round elimination. I came in 2nd!!!! =D

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as how its now Sunday afternoon where i am i figured now is as good a time as any to let you all know how it went.
There was 16 people. 3 stock single round elimination. I came in 2nd!!!! =D
Good job! What happened in the grand final?

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
I got to agressive and he was really good at blocking my projectiles with dr. Mario

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Dude, congrats! That's amazing!! Any matches that you found difficult? Any that went super well? Details, pluz!

Last edited:

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
Sorry for the delay i was still at a con yesterday and passed out when i got home.

One that went super well was against a ZSS player in the first round, the night before she was telling me how bad DHD is and that he isnt worth playing and such to which i shrugged and said "I just want to play a cute puppy" the first round of the tourney is me against her and some how i managed to run circles around her with duck hunt, reading her kill moves and punishing accordingly and managing to two stock her.
Aside from the grand final where i got destroyed i had a rough match against a C. Falcon player, he did good keeping pressure but never chased me off stage and i eventually managed to get jim far enough off the stage that he couldnt recover.

The TO said they will be posting videos in the next few weeks so once those are up I'll share them. Im super stoked about doing as well as i did and I even got a Mario Kart 8 poster because no one signed up for that tournament thank you all so much for the help and encouragement I don't know if i would have done as well with out it! =D

Last edited:
Top Bottom