• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First tournament and 20xx training

Kor_Hey_1

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone,

I train for around 6 months now and there is a national tournament saturday (I'm French).

I decided to go, even if I know I'll get rekt.

Have you some tips to give me? Like some mindset I could have before match or other things?

Since I started my end of stydies internship, I didn't play a lot this last days, I started to train again Monday.

I use 20xx for training.

First I fight lvl 1 normalish CPU. It's just to work on my combo game/tech skill. I do top 8 character + samus (kinda don't like her).

Then I fight normal CPU.

The thing is that some CPU are frustrating to fight against :

- Puff do random rest and it's painfull. I play falco and sometimes I start the game, do a dair on stage and get insta rested...

- Spacies do like frame perfect shine. Sometimes I think a can combo them, continue with a shine and don't understand how they could shine before me... Fox is especially frustrating with his combos.

Maybe I'm just a noob and I have to git gud.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

54BR3 WU1F

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone,

I train for around 6 months now and there is a national tournament saturday (I'm French).

I decided to go, even if I know I'll get rekt.

Have you some tips to give me? Like some mindset I could have before match or other things?

Since I started my end of stydies internship, I didn't play a lot this last days, I started to train again Monday.

I use 20xx for training.

First I fight lvl 1 normalish CPU. It's just to work on my combo game/tech skill. I do top 8 character + samus (kinda don't like her).

Then I fight normal CPU.

The thing is that some CPU are frustrating to fight against :

- Puff do random rest and it's painfull. I play falco and sometimes I start the game, do a dair on stage and get insta rested...

- Spacies do like frame perfect shine. Sometimes I think a can combo them, continue with a shine and don't understand how they could shine before me... Fox is especially frustrating with his combos.

Maybe I'm just a noob and I have to git gud.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Ok. So of you're maining Falco (like me), then you've gotta know how to cancel your D-Air and also you've gotta learn how to short hop and phantasm because both cause less lag (D-Air Cancel makes you drop with normal lag so you can true combo easy. There's a video put there on Falco and how to cancel. The short hop phantasm ends starting lag and makes your phantasm slightly weaker but is worth it.) Try not to use him against heavy characters like Bowser because you'll go flying like a rag doll so counter them with a heavier character (I use charizard in these situations). I hope this helped. Good luck!

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Ok. So of you're maining Falco (like me), then you've gotta know how to cancel your D-Air and also you've gotta learn how to short hop and phantasm because both cause less lag (D-Air Cancel makes you drop with normal lag so you can true combo easy. There's a video put there on Falco and how to cancel. The short hop phantasm ends starting lag and makes your phantasm slightly weaker but is worth it.) Try not to use him against heavy characters like Bowser because you'll go flying like a rag doll so counter them with a heavier character (I use charizard in these situations). I hope this helped. Good luck!
I think you're talking about smash 4.

As a Melee player going to their first national after only six months of playing the key is not to expect much out of yourself. That way you can relax and meet some new people and hopefully learn a little bit which is really all you should be aiming for at this point. Try to find people around you so that you have actual human practice.

Last edited:

54BR3 WU1F

Smash Cadet
I think you're talking about smash 4.

As a Melee player going to their first national after only six months of playing the key is not to expect much out of yourself. That way you can relax and meet some new people and hopefully learn a little bit which is really all you should be aiming for at this point. Try to find people around you so that you have actual human practice.
Wow... I honestly hate myself now. *facepalm*

Kor_Hey_1

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone.

54BR3 WU1F 54BR3 WU1F I thought I posted on PM forum for a moment. Don't blame yourself, it's okey.It's good to help other people, I won't make fun of you.

Dolla Pills Dolla Pills French national isn't like US national lol but I know I won't win a lot. Tekk, Mahie and other good French players will be there, maybe I will be able to talk about the game with them. The bad part is that my training partner can't go.

SSG SAX GAMER SSG SAX GAMER It's a little difficult to know if you're predictable or not when you almost never face real opponent. Bad habits are hard to remove middle match so I have to be fully focused.

Do people have tips for keep focus for a long time. Sometime I feel like I have ADHD, a little thing can drive my brain out of the way and then I just get frustrated because I know I can play better than this.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Thanks everyone.

54BR3 WU1F 54BR3 WU1F I thought I posted on PM forum for a moment. Don't blame yourself, it's okey.It's good to help other people, I won't make fun of you.

Dolla Pills Dolla Pills French national isn't like US national lol but I know I won't win a lot. Tekk, Mahie and other good French players will be there, maybe I will be able to talk about the game with them. The bad part is that my training partner can't go.

SSG SAX GAMER SSG SAX GAMER It's a little difficult to know if you're predictable or not when you almost never face real opponent. Bad habits are hard to remove middle match so I have to be fully focused.

Do people have tips for keep focus for a long time. Sometime I feel like I have ADHD, a little thing can drive my brain out of the way and then I just get frustrated because I know I can play better than this.
Try recording your matches, then looking back at it again.

Top Bottom