• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First time since early years - OMG this game is fun

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Darklink how is your progress so far?
I have yet to be able to unlock item switch.....but battle-wise, Ive discovered Kirby is very very good at gimping. Since recovery in this game isnt as good for any character, gimping is a strong tool if you can manage it o.o
Also captain falcon dies easy.

Is Final Destination a stage in this game or no?

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
When i was really young i had earthbound (around 1996) for the snes and at school i heared rumors of ness being in super smash brothers. i got home extremely exited to try to unlock him. I got home a firery exitement in my heart,i was told to beat classic mode with 3 stock lives on normal with no continues seemed simpe enough right. i tryed for hours and i mean hours to complete this task but i always failed against metal mario. i was so angry that i drowned my cotroller in water and threw it out my bedroom window. boy was my mom angry for i month i had to visit my friend adam to play this game. adam had unlocked ness and out of no where he gave me his copy of smash 64 and his n64 controller,i still have these items today. i still talk to adam today i miss the times of smash 64 but now i can compete on my dedicated wii u whick i got on launch.

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
When i was really young i had earthbound (around 1996) for the snes and at school i heared rumors of ness being in super smash brothers. i got home extremely exited to try to unlock him. I got home a firery exitement in my heart,i was told to beat classic mode with 3 stock lives on normal with no continues seemed simpe enough right. i tryed for hours and i mean hours to complete this task but i always failed against metal mario. i was so angry that i drowned my cotroller in water and threw it out my bedroom window. boy was my mom angry for i month i had to visit my friend adam to play this game. adam had unlocked ness and out of no where he gave me his copy of smash 64 and his n64 controller,i still have these items today. i still talk to adam today i miss the times of smash 64 but now i can compete on my dedicated wii u whick i got on launch.
Very very few people will "compete" with you on a Wii U.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings

you ditched 64 for wii u
dear god

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It's a great game, but not really me competitive cup of tea.
I just don't like how defensive you need to be to play it.
I'd say Brawl was way more defensive, Smash 4 DOES sorta bring it to around 50-50

That being said, it definitely isn't as offense-based as Melee.

How is Smash 64's offense:defense ratio btw?

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
How is Smash 64's offense:defense ratio btw?
Ehhh... it varies a lot from game-to-game. Sometimes the whole match could be playing footsies and getting gimps and then other times it can be an explosive round of offense. In a whole, I'd say that 64 has very little direct defense (i.e. rolling, baiting bad shield pressure, etc.) It's more like both players are trying to play an offensive neutral game and then it's explosive, usually.

Because of the lack of Melee DI, air dodges, and spot dodges, most of the game is neutral and offense. I know that neutral games are played both offensive and defensive but in a game like 64, your actual escape possibilities are quite limited. So your only protection is your moveset and when you land a hit, you're expected to convert it into some solid damage/kill.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: watching 64 will give it the illusion that it's mostly offense when in reality there's just defensive neutral play that almost ALWAYS gets converted into offense on the first hit. With Melee, landing a hit might reset you to neutral or in the case of DI it will help stop combos. It happens a lot more often than with 64's DI.

Anyone care to help me out with explaining this?

D

Deleted member

yes, all the new tech i discovered! i was like a kid in a candy store. :B

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom