• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Impressions

3bubby

Smash Rookie
I love picking up random characters, and this time, it was Mr. Mewtwo. I'd love to have any tips on how to play him from you Mewtwo Mains. He's a lot of fun and definitely deserves more love if he's going to be a contender competitively. I'm no ZeRo, but as long as I can hold my own against my friends, I'll be happy.

Here are my impressions of Mewtwo

Mewtwo has to control the whole stage - A solid match has always been a game of baiting, capitalizing on small victories, and punishing as hard as possible. Because Mewtwo is made of cardboard, I have to space out to avoid smash attacks. At the same time, I have to be ready to go in, because my range is deceptively short. Teleport and Confusion have kept me very mobile across the stage, and do a good job of throwing off opponents. Tiny Shadow Balls help close gaps, allowing for tilts and followups. But none of this is possible without the opponent moving under your influence. Think reverse pressure.

Anti Air - Up Tilt, Up Smash, Up Air, and Nair all provide a good overhead coverage. Considering Mewtwo's Up Smash kills, you sort of want to instigate aerial attacks.

Gimps, not spikes -
Again, I'm not great, but I have yet to land a spike. I've had a lot more success with the Nair and Bair dragging opponents away from the ledge, and then the Teleport leaving them unable to reset.

Mewtwo plays with a cool head - The moves are very precise. Short frames and tiny hit boxes mean you need to focus and avoid spamming. Disable is a powerful tool, but can be as frustrating as threading a needle. A lot of the battle requires you to stay just out of reach, waiting for punishment. Don't get hasty.

DTilt > Nair
UTilt > Nair
DThrow > Fair
Jab > DSpecial > Charged NSpecial
Dash > USmash

Let me know what you think of your Mewtwo's! Help me get better!

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I love picking up random characters, and this time, it was Mr. Mewtwo. I'd love to have any tips on how to play him from you Mewtwo Mains. He's a lot of fun and definitely deserves more love if he's going to be a contender competitively. I'm no ZeRo, but as long as I can hold my own against my friends, I'll be happy.

Here are my impressions of Mewtwo

Mewtwo has to control the whole stage - A solid match has always been a game of baiting, capitalizing on small victories, and punishing as hard as possible. Because Mewtwo is made of cardboard, I have to space out to avoid smash attacks. At the same time, I have to be ready to go in, because my range is deceptively short. Teleport and Confusion have kept me very mobile across the stage, and do a good job of throwing off opponents. Tiny Shadow Balls help close gaps, allowing for tilts and followups. But none of this is possible without the opponent moving under your influence. Think reverse pressure.

Anti Air - Up Tilt, Up Smash, Up Air, and Nair all provide a good overhead coverage. Considering Mewtwo's Up Smash kills, you sort of want to instigate aerial attacks.
Gimps, not spikes - Again, I'm not great, but I have yet to land a spike. I've had a lot more success with the Nair and Bair dragging opponents away from the ledge, and then the Teleport leaving them unable to reset.

Mewtwo plays with a cool head - The moves are very precise. Short frames and tiny hit boxes mean you need to focus and avoid spamming. Disable is a powerful tool, but can be as frustrating as threading a needle. A lot of the battle requires you to stay just out of reach, waiting for punishment. Don't get hasty.

DTilt > Nair
UTilt > Nair
DThrow > Fair
Jab > DSpecial > Charged NSpecial
Dash > USmash

Let me know what you think of your Mewtwo's! Help me get better!
For more combos you might want to look at the combo thread, I also found a way to predict Nair KB for easier gimping and comboing. I agree, Mewtwo relies a lot on stage control, and those Anti-air options work great. Depending on where your opponent is you could also use Bair probably, as Bair has a larger hitbox on top then bottom. And to be able to do any of his combos requires precise timing. Making it impossible to do if you aren't focused. But anyways, it seems your on the right track!

I will edit this later with some tips, hopefully...

Top Bottom