• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Impressions: Toon Link Wii-U

-Champ-

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so after the news of BLC being gone and stuff, all hype for this character has gone for me. But im glad to say the wii u version has slightly changed my view of this. First thing that I noticed the first time I used him was how outstanding the graphics make him look. He seriously looks like Wind Waker TL. From the first couple of minutes, here's what ive noticed.

-Grab no longer goes straight. Falls to the ground if whiffed (Like Brawl)
-Running speed seems to be slightly increased
-All tilts come out faster
-Toon heavier than in brawl, but also floats more(if that makes sense)
-Back Throw is still a kill move
-Bombs still fall with Z-air

Not a lot of info so far, but il update this tomorrow when I wake up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't have the Wii U version and won't be able to get it for a while (if ever), but for the most part that all like great news except the first one. And by "zair" in the first one, you mean his grab, right? I don't remember his z aerial dropping in Brawl. :p (then again, it wouldn't surprise me if I forgot something like that with my awful memory) But yeah, if the grab is just as slow as it is in Brawl then that seems like it could cause problems for killing, so maybe his Wii U version self isn't that big of a buff. Also, when pressing z in the air with a bomb, does it still cause TL to zair? I'm also really curious how his aerials are. A bair that isn't slower than snails, being able to sh nair or zair without landing lag, and being able to bounce after using dair would be great.
:170:

Legend28469

Smash Cadet
NNID
Legend28469
I'm gonna miss that BLC =C. Hopefully something is found that is just as good

D

Deleted member

Just got SSBU as a surprise present from a family member. O.o Today is my lucky day. Anyway, so after downloading the game I messed around a bit with TL, and here's what I noticed:
  • Despite the fact that TL's hookshot from his grab falls to the ground after using it like it did in Brawl, it's significantly faster. I tested it in training mode, and from eyeballing it in 1/4 speed with L and constantly pausing, the 3DS looked like it took somewhere between 32 and 40 frames. The Wii U couldn't have taken more than 30. I also put the 3DS and gamepad side-by-side and pressed the grab button ten times to see if I noticed any difference, and this also showed his grab to return faster in the Wii U version.
  • I haven't done any real testing on this yet, but his aerials look exactly the same. Which means his bair is still ****, and his dair still doesn't bounce. :(
  • His jab still does 9%, and his utilt still does 5%, even though these moves were supposedly going to get buffed.
  • The hookshot still comes out when you zair with a bomb. Seriously, why on earth did Sakurai think this was a good idea? According to people who played the demo, the demo didn't have this issue, so there's no excuse for this. Sigh
  • His running speed looks the same to me. I still decided to time him running from one side of Battlefield to the other just for the sake of doing so, he consistently reached the other side of the stage a few miliseconds faster on the Wii U version than the 3DS one. I also tested on FD, and got the same results. I then tested by looking at the two versions side-by-side, and once again, the results were the same. This could very well be because of size differences between the stages on the different versions, but if so then that means the range of his projectiles were also changed because they all consistently hit the same part of FD from the same starting spot.
  • His moves all seem to have the same range, and his projectiles go the same range.
  • Bombs seem to last the same amount of time. I tested this by doing a bomb fakeout with the same bomb as long as I could (Pfft, real timers? Who needs those when you can bomb fakeout instead?), and they blew up right after the fifth one every time.
  • I decided to test in slow motion if fair had its landing lag changed at all. After testing several times in 1/4 speed with L, I counted 7 frames every time before the jab start-up after landing from a sh fair. I assume all of his other aerials are unchanged, too, especially since they all look the same.
  • Every once in a rare while the bombs did 8% in the Wii U version instead of 4%. What?
  • I don't know if this is a gamepad issue or if it's just from my gamepad being a used one from Gamestop or what, but I'm getting a lot of accidental airdodges when I pressed the button to zair. For example, I just naired high up then tried to zair, but ended up airdodging instead. I don't remember ever having this issue on the 3DS version.
  • As for possible changes in attack %s, I was too lazy to go through the effort of testing in vs mode, so I decided to test in training mode. None of them appeared to have been changed.
  • This isn't really about differences between the Wii U version and the 3DS version, but I was going to test if TL's fsmash had been improved so the second part of the attack actually hits, but I was able to get it to connect in both versions. The second hit would never, ever, ever connect in 1.0.3. in the 3DS version. I know some other TL mains have said they could get his fsmash to connect now unlike before, and the same has been confirmed with Link. Supposedly some people with both 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 couldn't find a difference, but this is extremely noticeable. So yeah, horray for the possible buff to fsmash on both versions?
Whew, glad that's all finally done. I think I'm going to go enjoy my new game now. :p

Also, using the gamepad gives you more vertical veiwability than the TV screen, so the gamepad > all

TL;DR: His grab is faster, his running speed is possibly slightly faster, and the buffs he was supposed to get to his attack power and z bomb drop didn't happen. Edit: His usmash also has increased knockback.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I forgot to test his weight and floatiness. I put the gamepad and 3DS side-by-side as I did a full hop, and TL hit the ground first on the Wii U version every time. As for his weight, I tested in on FD in training mode to see what % TL would die from a usmash from with different characters, and his weight seems to be the same.
Also, I almost thoughts he could've been lighter in the Wii U version because when I tested it the first time with TL's usmash on TL, I got 111% in the Wii U version and 116% in the 3DS version. After testing with other characters it was clear TL isn't actually lighter, and his usmash got a knockback buff that I missed. Yay!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
  • Every once in a rare while the bombs did 8% in the Wii U version instead of 4%. What?
The bomb will do 8% if it blows up on the ground next to the opponent. Bombs that contact the opponent will always do 4%.

D

Deleted member

Usmash got knockback buff?
Yeah, I tested it in training mode. The buff is really small, but it's there. When I was testing TL's weight in training mode I noticed I could kill at TL cpu at 116% in the 3DS version but 111% in the Wii U version. This made me think that maybe it was something with the stage or maybe TL was made lighter in the Wii U version, but I tested with other characters and their usmashes killed at the same % in both versions. It's an incredibly tiny buff that's hard to notice at lower %s, but it's there.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also tested the knockback of usmash against Mario at 0% damage in vs mode last night. Both versions use different measurements in the results screen to say how far a move makes a characters fly. The 3DS doesn't say anything after the number, and the Wii U version uses miles if I remember correctly. Either way, a move that wasn't buffed or nerfed will have its Wii U knockback number as being 3x the 3DS version on the results screen, but TL's usmash showed up as 3.5x the 3DS version, further confirming that it was buffed.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Yeah, I tested it in training mode. The buff is really small, but it's there. When I was testing TL's weight in training mode I noticed I could kill at TL cpu at 116% in the 3DS version but 111% in the Wii U version. This made me think that maybe it was something with the stage or maybe TL was made lighter in the Wii U version, but I tested with other characters and their usmashes killed at the same % in both versions. It's an incredibly tiny buff that's hard to notice at lower %s, but it's there.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also tested the knockback of usmash against Mario in vs mode last night. Both versions use different measurements to say how far a move makes a characters fly. The 3DS doesn't say anything after the number, and the Wii U version uses miles if I remember correctly. Either way, a move that wasn't buffed or nerfed will have its Wii U knockback number as being 3x the 3DS version, but TL's usmash showed up as 3.5x the 3DS version, further confirming that it was buffed.
Ooooh :D

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I think it's to do with the blast zones. The blast zones are considerably better in the Wii U version. Like I've seen FD, BF and Smashville and they don't have massive blast zones like 3DS. Try an omega with a somewhat large blast zone and compare them.

D

Deleted member

I think it's to do with the blast zones. The blast zones are considerably better in the Wii U version. Like I've seen FD, BF and Smashville and they don't have massive blast zones like 3DS. Try an omega with a somewhat large blast zone and compare them.
Again, I already tested the usmashes of other characters on FD, they all killed at the same %s as the 3DS version. I also tested his usmash in vs mode then quit the match and checked the results screen, and the number that shows how far a move made the opponent fly is always 3x larger on the Wii U version if a move was unchanged. Even doing a usmash at 0% gave a number 3.5x higher than the 3DS version, though, so that further confirms that it was changed.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I like the sound of a buffed usmash knockback :). It couples well with vectoring gone and DI being almost negligible

Top Bottom