• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First impressions (now that the game is out)?

Coopachabra

Smash Rookie
I've been excited to play this game since it was announced. I even bought the switch specifically for Smash. I never played SSB4, but I played a lot of the three previous iterations with Brawl being my primary. I can't play until tonight, but I was wondering if any of you got a chance to play Samus yet? How does she feel now and what should I take notice of?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I played her at the start to unlock characters and I have to say, I think Zero might be wrong about her tier list placement, because I'm not doing too badly. Granted I haven't quite got used to Ultimate so I'm not amazing, but she feels pretty good.

Coopachabra

Smash Rookie
I played her at the start to unlock characters and I have to say, I think Zero might be wrong about her tier list placement, because I'm not doing too badly. Granted I haven't quite got used to Ultimate so I'm not amazing, but she feels pretty good.
What would you say makes her decent? I know her dash got a buff to kill, but that's really all I know.

Shog

Smash Ace
I don't want to be a debbie downer, but Samus feels worse - to me - compared to Smash 4. I heavily relied on Up-Air and Dash Attack tho, so...

hugQ Cortex

Master
I haven't inspected frame data in depth, but Samus feels similar to Smash 4, yet she also feels much better. Up-b still kills, up air combos, fsmash connects better and kills, jab leads to down tilt and ftilt, bombs exploding on contact again is great (and I believe it lingers on shield?), initial missile delay makes follow ups possible, down smash feels a little meatier, bair sweet spots easily and kills, zair still pokes very well, nair has been reliable for edgeguarding/killing from the front. The global landing lag reduction and improvement to ground movement options really help her out. I still need to play her more, but she is fun as hell and she has definitely received improvements, despite the obvious nerf to dash attack comboability.

Last edited:

Boney

Smash Apprentice
Considering they raised dtilt's FAF, did they buff it's kill power to compensate?
Does up smash still have those terrible hitboxes and unable to hit standing opponents?
Considering Nair got its landing lag reduced, is it link it to charge shots? Tech chases or something?
Is up b as weak as the Smash 4 variant? F tilt still have those 4 weird hitboxes or did they change it back to just 2?
How early is dash attack KOing?

Don't have the game yet and I'm curious to hear some details.

Rag

Smash Rookie
I love the new super missiles, since you can follow up now, and her grab is actually pretty good, as it has increased range and decreased lag.

Coopachabra

Smash Rookie
I've been playing quite a bit recently. I'm still not sure how to play her now without missile cancelling. When I played brawl, I spammed missiles all day, and now I find it hard to keep pressure off of me. I hear she plays a lot like SSB4 Samus, but I didn't play that one so I don't know the combos at all. Any suggestions?

Rag

Smash Rookie
s
I've been playing quite a bit recently. I'm still not sure how to play her now without missile cancelling. When I played brawl, I spammed missiles all day, and now I find it hard to keep pressure off of me. I hear she plays a lot like SSB4 Samus, but I didn't play that one so I don't know the combos at all. Any suggestions?
since her super missiles star out slow and then accelerate, you can chase it, and either follow up if they get hit with a fair, nair or bair, or if they shield you can use her grab to either combo or use her up throw to kill at higher percents

Savage1

Smash Rookie
I really like the change to the bombs. It adds a bit of mind games and pressure, and they can be used for some good follow-ups if you get the opponent to cross them.

Top Bottom