• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Good Math Exam, FINALLY

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
On my STATs exam...

I got...

an 88!

And I'm so proud ;3: I'm trying not to cry, I really am!

Seriously, what is it with Math and Purdue? Does anyone else think their university has too hard of math exams? I feel like, the HW is simple/easy, and the exams are just so overwhelming in the material you have to retain... I'm a CS major, I feel like I should have this down by now in my Junior year. But no, it took me until near the end of my 1st semester for my Junior year to get this down! My exams have been abysmal in the past to say the least.

BTW the average was n 85, gotcha, curve
~

Anyways, I now fret the return grade on my CS project, I barely finished it on time and I feel like I didn't do enough error checking... God, network servers are a B*%@#!

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I found writing programs in java harder than calculus|stats and deviated from bioinformatics when it became apparent that I wasn't going to leave data structures unscathed. That said, I find it hard to understand how someone majoring in C.S. has been having problems with statistics. Unless the core courses are taking time away from allowing you to study ancillary subjects.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
What university? Can't judge based on crappy information. If you'd say MIT, I'd be impressed.
lolwut it's in the op but purdue

and basically what you said, acrostic, I spend much more time understanding the material in my CS lectures / programming courses than I do trying to study how to TAKE an exam, not how to understand the material, I retain it quite well, I mean everyone does. It's just the math exams in particular at Purdue are just that; exams. They dont actually assess whether you got the material down by itself, they measure how good you are taking a standardized multiple choice exam in 50 minutes that's only 12 questions and worth 40 wtfbbq percent of your effin' grade.

Look at it this way also; a friend of mine from church got a 50 percent overall grade one year and ended with a effin' B. A BEEEEEEEE. wtf? And then I get out of Calc 3 with a D even though I had a 66 overall. It was BS. The curve is a wonky piece of s!@# that is aiming to weed out bad students, but that's BS.

Calc 2-3 were BS, Linear Algebra was bad but I got a C, Stats is a bit better (hoping for a B) but it still is the same amount of credit, and the teacher is ******** and doesnt help so Im doing it all I'm own practically from the book.

@Omni I'm not braggin' I'm just really happy because an 88 is really high compared to what I'm used to from my math classes atm. I hope I can do well on the final.

In the end, all exams seem to only test you on "how to take tests". There are exams that directly test your knowledge and understanding. The dinky "if you followed along on all required materials, you should be able to answer this" Then there are exams that test you on your ability to take the knowledge you have gained and actually apply it in a random scenario.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I would like exams to let us apply our knowledge in relevant scenarios rather than random to be quite honest, it would get rid of some of the problems test takers have when they go through story problems. they have trouble finding the parameters they need because of information overload, or not enough information. That's why it's important to not just put hints on one question but every question, because in the real world we are not tackling random situations by ourself at any medium or science.

Not saying "oh, give us a clue", though. I'm saying "give us basis for why we are answering this question other than to be correct.". Like if they explained the parameters in certain trigonometric identities a little more clearer on exams, it'd be easier to identify them. That was what killed me in Calc 2/3, I couldnt remember any trig identities or formulas.

Top Bottom