• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Questions Game

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The FE1 version of Falchion. Ignore all attacks from everything except Manaketes? You can't do much better than that.

In Gaiden and Echoes, archers have a much larger attack range than usual (1-5 tiles instead of the usual 2 tiles). Would you like to see them retain the extended attack range in future games (though probably without the innate 1 range, they're meant for ranged attacks and it should really stay that way), or should they go back to just 2 range?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hell yeah keep the range. 2-Range locked archers that are actually good can be counted on one hand. :p

Your choice in each of the series' Samson/Arran pairs?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Each of them? This is going to take a while...

FE1/11:
- Samson and Arran: Arran, because they're both duds but he gets the better equipment

FE2/15:
- Sonya and Deen: Sonya, because she's an actually useful unit while the only thing Deen brings to the table is his sword

FE4
- Johan and Johalva: Johan, because horse in Horse Emblem

FE5:
- Olwen and Eyrios: Olwen gets a nice prf sword and usually doesn't let me down, though I haven't actually used Eyrios yet
- Sleuf/Amalda and Miranda/Conomore: Sleuf and Amalda, because **** chapter 16B
- Ced and Saias: Ced, because Ced

FE6:
- Bartre/Elphin and Echidna/Lalum: I usually go with the A route, which gets you Lalum and Echidna; also Echidna is cool while I've seen enough of Bartre in Heroes to last me several lifetimes
- Juno and Dayan: usually Juno because I prefer the Ilia route

FE7:
- Harken and Karel: Harken, that Brave Sword is pretty nice and he's not a bad unit
- Wallace and Geitz: Geitz, because I actually use my lords

FE9:
- Ena and Nasir: Usually I manage to beat the Black Knight, so that gets me Nasir
- Tibarn, Naesala, and Giffca: Tibarn, no question

FE11:
- Nagi and Gotoh: Gotoh, because I don't suck at the game. :p

------

Would you like to see another game that uses FE4-style maps? Those being really large maps that have multiple objectives along the way before you can complete them.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, it would be nice to revisit. I would hope that they put a unique spin on it rather than just doing FE4 again. For instance, have more objectives than just seizing, or maybe have multiple objectives to complete at once.

What's your opinion on fatigue?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I haven't played FE5 or FE15, so I don't really have a strong opinion about it, but I'll still provide my thoughts.

For starters, it sounds like a reasonable idea on paper. Naturally people would get tired from doing activities like fighting, dancing, healing, and whatnot, right? So the most logical course of action would be to let them sit out next fight so that they can cure their fatigue. But what if you needed to use a unit frequently? As in, what if they bring to table is often called for in battle? The Fatigue mechanic would almost certainly prove to be quite a troublesome hindrance in this case. You COULD use Stamina Drink to reset their fatigue, but from what I've heard, those are hard to come by, so you can't really rely on it too much.

But, I've checked in with my friend who HAS played both FE5 and FE15. Apparently, the Fatigue mechanic is meant to balance use of your units, which is something I could get behind. There also exists the fact that most of the units in Thracia 776 are really good, so it really shouldn't be too much of a problem to balance your usage of them.

So here are my final thoughts on the matter. It's an interesting mechanic, and it isn't much of a problem as much as it sounds. I'd rather they exclude it from the "Easy" and "Normal" settings in future Fire Emblem games, but they should definitely include it on higher difficulty settings.

So here's my question: If every Fire Emblem lord/protagonist were to get into one huge fight, who would come out on top? Who would be one of the first to get knocked out? Feel free to use evidence, such as character backgrounds or base stats/growth rates.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I think the knocked out part is a little easier to answer so I'll start off with that. I would go with Micaiah, due to her being a slow glass-canon, that isn't often shown defending herself in a fight without the help of others. Despite having possibly the hardest hitting magic against the big threats like Sigurd and Hector thanks to Thani, I doubt she would get the opportunity to use it against them due to her frailty. Not to mention all she really has to her name is high Magice and Res, the Res only being useful against Celica and Dragonstone Corrin. Honorable mention is Corrin due to Dragon weakness.

In terms of who would come out on top, while Sigurd has a lot of going for in terms of stats and being mounted, he suffers against being put up with a lot of lords who can do effective damage to cavalry, so he's basically a shiny target that would take to many hits to survive. Honestly, I would have to say it's Alm, he's one of the more durable lords in the series without a mount or heavy armor, thereby having no penalty against the other lords. Not to mention his Falchion is much more potent than the Archanea Falchion that Marth and Chrom have. Roy and Ike may have the strongest weapons, but Roy is frailer than Alm, and Alm has the benefit of long range thanks to Valentian Bows. Ike, Hector, and Ephraim, are all really strong contenders, but will bring each down fighting each other. Though I feel overall, the possible winner is very swingy as there are many possibilities.

If you had to pick a minor character in the series to have their own fire emblem game as the main character, which would it be and why?

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
Man, that's a tricky one. I have so many minor characters across the series that I love dearly, so it's difficult to decide whether to go for character bias or to bring out a possibly awesome side-story.

I think I have to go with Titania, from the Tellius games. It would be awesome to go through her career as a Royal Knight, before meeting Greil and joining his band of mercenaries. Getting some backstory on the other Greil Mercenaries (Shinon, Gatrie, Soren) would be rad as the dickens. Although my character bias options would definitely be Lute (FE8) or Henry (Awakening) for mages and general hilarity.

On a similar note to the above question, if you could pick one Fire Emblem antagonist (from chapter boss to big bad) to have their own main series game, who would it be and why?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man, that's a tricky one. I have so many minor characters across the series that I love dearly, so it's difficult to decide whether to go for character bias or to bring out a possibly awesome side-story.

I think I have to go with Titania, from the Tellius games. It would be awesome to go through her career as a Royal Knight, before meeting Greil and joining his band of mercenaries. Getting some backstory on the other Greil Mercenaries (Shinon, Gatrie, Soren) would be rad as the dickens. Although my character bias options would definitely be Lute (FE8) or Henry (Awakening) for mages and general hilarity.

On a similar note to the above question, if you could pick one Fire Emblem antagonist (from chapter boss to big bad) to have their own main series game, who would it be and why?
Walhart's conquest of Valm as its own game sounds really neat.

Which Archanean boss character do you like more, Camus or Michalis?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Camus. I like Michalis too though, especially with his arc in Book 2/FE12.

Take one of your least favorite mechanics in any FE game. How would you tweak it to make it more bearable/interesting to you? And just saying "remove it" doesn't count. :p

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
The weight mechanic, specifically the formula used in the GBA games. It uses Constitution as a determining factor, which really can't be changed unless you were to give someone a consumable like a Body Ring. Because of that, it prevents characters from wielding a typically stronger weapon without suffering from a Speed penalty.

For example, Eirika has a Con stat of 5, which means that swords with a higher weight than 5 she suffers a Speed penalty from, thereby locking her into weaker weapons like Slim Sword and Iron Sword, either until she promotes (which is much later into the game) or by giving her the aforementioned Body Ring. Sure, she's got Speed to spare due to how easily she caps out her Speed with her Speed growth rate, but I'd much rather not have to worry about receiving a Speed penalty in the first place.

I'd make it so that, like in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the formula is Speed - (Weight - Strength) where if (Weight - Strength) is negative, the result is taken to be 0, instead of GBA FE's Speed - (Weight - Constitution) formula. It makes much more sense to have a unit be able to carry a heavy weapon using their own strength instead of their literal body size. That, and that you can actually receive stat growths in Strength.

I have no problems with Constitution as a stat, since it helps determine if a unit is able to Rescue another unit or not, which I think is an already well-implemented mechanic.

As for my own question...

What Fire Emblem character would you like to personally be?

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
Tough question. Gotta go with Pent.
~Classy.
~Monocled.
~Pretty rad aesthetic.
~Has a ton of money.
~Can blow stuff up.

What's your favorite chapter/map in the FE series, from a strategic standpoint?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The weight mechanic, specifically the formula used in the GBA games. It uses Constitution as a determining factor, which really can't be changed unless you were to give someone a consumable like a Body Ring. Because of that, it prevents characters from wielding a typically stronger weapon without suffering from a Speed penalty.

For example, Eirika has a Con stat of 5, which means that swords with a higher weight than 5 she suffers a Speed penalty from, thereby locking her into weaker weapons like Slim Sword and Iron Sword, either until she promotes (which is much later into the game) or by giving her the aforementioned Body Ring. Sure, she's got Speed to spare due to how easily she caps out her Speed with her Speed growth rate, but I'd much rather not have to worry about receiving a Speed penalty in the first place.

I'd make it so that, like in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the formula is Speed - (Weight - Strength) where if (Weight - Strength) is negative, the result is taken to be 0, instead of GBA FE's Speed - (Weight - Constitution) formula. It makes much more sense to have a unit be able to carry a heavy weapon using their own strength instead of their literal body size. That, and that you can actually receive stat growths in Strength.

I have no problems with Constitution as a stat, since it helps determine if a unit is able to Rescue another unit or not, which I think is an already well-implemented mechanic.
I want to talk about this a bit since it's something I've been thinking about too. (I don't think there's too much of a problem with commenting on other answers?)

Personally I think it's completely valid that weapon weight should continue to affect you and your choice of weapons throughout the whole game. After all, the whole point of it is to add more depth to the decisions you make when choosing weapons. If everyone can completely cancel it out after a certain point (as tends to happen in FE9/10/11 which use Str to offset weight), then the mechanic is pointless.

The other problem with the approach of using Str is that magical classes end up disproportionately more affected by weapon weight, due to inherently having low Str growths. It's fine that certain individual units might be more or less affected by weapon weight, but it should be specific to the unit, rather than being inherent to their weapon type.

With Eirika, for example, her low Con means you have to account for that when picking weapons for her. Do you go for the lighter weapon that doesn't deal as much damage, but will let her take full advantage of her Spd, or the stronger but heavier weapon, that hits much harder but slows her down much more? Both approaches can be valid depending on the situation, so it makes you think more about the enemies before you, and which approach works best. It's also another way of balancing her high Spd, outside of simply throwing faster enemies at you, so it gives the designers a little more freedom when designing maps and challenges. If you can simply ignore weapon weight entirely, then all of these design considerations are invalidated.

So I think Con being static throughout the game isn't such a bad thing, from a game design perspective. Though I still think it would make a certain amount of sense for a unit's capacity to wield heavier weapons to increase over time. Thracia 776 had a growth rate for Con, which would seem to solve that, though I'd personally have Con growths average out a little lower than they did there (like, no higher than 10% or so). You could also play around with having more ways to increase it. Maybe using weapons that exceed your Con enough times can get you a 1-point increase in Con, or something.

What's your favorite chapter/map in the FE series, from a strategic standpoint?
Oh hey, we've got a whole thread for that one already. :p

I'll again say Elincia's Gambit, the Endgame of Part 2 of Radiant Dawn. It puts you in a weak position (notwithstanding the fact that you have Haar), and tasks you with either walling up and holding your position, or rushing for the boss and offing him quickly, and like with a lot of such maps the latter is often the best way to handle it. It also makes some of the best use in the game of mechanics like height advantage. In general it's just the right amount of challenge, without getting too frustrating; if you fail there's usually some other way to approach it that'll let you do better next time.

--------------------
I'll ask the opposite of that one. :p
What's your least favourite chapter, and what would you do to improve it?

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
Oh hey, we've got a whole thread for that one already. :p

I'll again say Elincia's Gambit, the Endgame of Part 2 of Radiant Dawn. It puts you in a weak position (notwithstanding the fact that you have Haar), and tasks you with either walling up and holding your position, or rushing for the boss and offing him quickly, and like with a lot of such maps the latter is often the best way to handle it. It also makes some of the best use in the game of mechanics like height advantage. In general it's just the right amount of challenge, without getting too frustrating; if you fail there's usually some other way to approach it that'll let you do better next time.

--------------------
I'll ask the opposite of that one. :p
What's your least favourite chapter, and what would you do to improve it?
Ah, my bad. Didn't notice the other thread. But more importantly HELL YEA, Elincia's Gambit is mine too. I end up playing it a little differently each time, but a standard strategy is to place Nephenee at a major chokepoint and watch her go full Spartan. One of my great joys in life.

As for my least favorite chapter, that's easy. Chapter 14 of FE6. Given that Sophia has one of my favorite unit designs, and I love to train her, that chapter is a blazing hellscape. She's a forced level one unit, and you have fog of war, and desert terrain, and a ridiculous number of enemies with sleep staves for some reason, AND a bunch of Wyvern Lords flying around, AND Berserker reinforcements, AND you have to babysit Cecilia's worthless self, AND there's a time limit if you want to get the gaiden chapter (and by extension, the actual endgame).

Honestly, if they could just get rid of the fog of war on that one, that'd make all the difference in the world. And maybe not force me to deploy Cecilia. Maybe Zephiel should kill her outright in the previous chapter, so I don't have to cart around a unit who very obviously has a minor case of serious brain damage.

Anyway, next question: what's one S-rank support pair that DOESN'T exist in a mainline game, but that you believe is and should be canon? Let's exclude Radiant Dawn from this, simply because that support system is one whackadoodle of disappointment.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Most of my runs are ironman runs, it's just that nobody dies anyway.
I think the first time I played FE7 I ended up leaving Lowen and Florina dead, since in both cases it was at the end of a long chapter and I really didn't want to redo it. That's probably the closest I've come to an ironman run, it's probably not something I'd choose to do otherwise.

What's the highest difficulty level you usually go for? Have you ever completed any of the series' highest difficulties, like FE12 Lunatic/Reverse, FE9 Maniac, or so on?

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
I've played FE6 on Hard (lord jesus), FE7 Hector Hard, FE10 Hard (the N/A version, so Japanese Lunatic? Either way, hell in a handbasket), and Awakening on Maniac+. I typically play on Normal for the first playthrough of any FE, and then scale up if I found things too easy on the first round. I only played Normal mode for each of the three versions of Fates, but am decidedly unmotivated to ever pick them up again. I had such hopes for Conquest's story, alas.

Which FE game do you think deserves the next "Echoes" treatment, and why? Either ideal marketing or favoritism-based arguments are totally valid.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Which FE game do you think deserves the next "Echoes" treatment, and why? Either ideal marketing or favoritism-based arguments are totally valid.
FE4 because it's the oldest game to not be remade. FE6 would be my second choice. FE5 can't really happen before FE4, and nothing past FE6 really needs an Echoes style remake.

What's a mechanic from another strategy game/series you think would be cool to see in Fire Emblem?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
While, I don't really expect to see it in Fire Emblem at all. I do like X-Com 2's procedurally generated missions, and I think it would be neat to see what would result in a fire emblem that chapters were completely different from player to player. I'm not sure it would even work well, but part of me think it would make some really interesting scenarios like a Fog of War defense chapter an assortment of different enemies can hide away in. Sure they're have been instances of random spawns like in Sacred Stones and SoV monster maps, but it would be especially ambitious if objectives, terrain, and etc. were part of this process. Honestly, it's one of the few interesting mechanics that come to mind, without delving into adding economy management/base building. Which is a whole can of worms suited to other strategic games like Civ

If you were to give a S support pairing to two units from any game that don't already have one together who would you choose and why?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Tobin and Silque because they're my crackship.

Best Flier?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Tobin and Silque because they're my crackship.

Best Flier?
In terms of raw stats at base, FE10 Haar. Probably the most busted unit in all of Fire Emblem and he isn't even a Gotoh. In terms of character growth and development, Jill. In terms of best girl, Palla.

What made you start playing Fire Emblem? Was it Smash Bros? Recommended by a friend? Picked it up by sheer chance and coincidence?

Last edited:

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
I had heard about it through online friends back in...I wanna say 06/07? Some of my friends were chatting about Path of Radiance shortly after it was released. I saw a guidebook at Gamestop, and was intrigued by the character designs, but I wasn't able to buy it and forgot the game existed. My mom ended up getting it for me as a random Christmas present, and I fell in love instantly. I was a big fan of the GBA Advance Wars games, and Fire Emblem scratched an itch I didn't know I had. Now it's probably my favorite game series of all time.

Speaking of Tellius, what's your opinion on the laguz units/beast-shifters in Awakening/Fates? Should they make a reappearance in future entries, or were they just gimmick units?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Laguz units are something that can really only work in Tellius, but I'd definitely like to see the beast-shifters from Awakening/Fates make a return. I enjoyed having them as units.

What Fire Emblem character would you like to have as your best friend? Or at the very least, bring into this world?

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
There's no one else that comes to mind other than Takumi. He's what that I see in myself alot after all, therefore I'd imangine us getting along well.

What is your favorite class and favorite characters that start unpromoted and promoted in that class?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Cavalier/Paladin. There are a lot of these two classes, but Titania is definitely my favorite Paladin, she's even my avatar right now. Favorite Cavalier is a little more tricky though. Though Clive is one of my favorites personality wise as he gets a lot of spotlight in terms of character growth. Though he gets overshadowed by other units in terms of overall strength as a unit.

Do you consider your luck good or bad when playing fire emblem?

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I once had a run of FE9 where Mist had higher Strength than Ike for most of the game. If that's not bad luck, I don't know what is.

The next FE game can have any character from the series of your choice as the main character (excluding the actual main characters). Who do you pick, and what's their story about?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I once had this idea of a fire emblem focused on the "defeated Grima" timeline of Awakening. Where the playable units are children units of that timeline being around the same age of future ones when they arrived to save Chrom. Basically to show how similar or different the children turn out compared to the future selves. Maybe even have older versions of the Shepards and future units that stayed around appear as prepromotes. I haven't thought far enough to know the threat they would stand against, just an interesting concept.

Speaking of what is your thoughts on children units? Would you like the mechanic to reappear? If so how would you want it handled?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Sure would. I'd like to see it implemented the same way they handled the "Gen 2" thing with FE4.

That being said... If any FE game were to get either a sequel or a prequel, what game would it be, and what would it be about?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The lazy answer is to pick the period between Mystery of the Emblem and Awakening, and have a game based on the First Exalt's war against Grima.

A better one would be basically anything set in Magvel, since it's still the only continent with only one game to its name. There's plenty of stuff they could expand on there, like the original five heroes of the Sacred Stones. (yeah, technically this goes for basically any game's backstory heroes, but FE8 in particular because there's a lot of underdeveloped stuff there.)

But the obvious, unequivocal, inarguable, unquestionably correct answer is to have a Fates sequel where Forrest and Oboro are the main characters, and they travel around Nohr and Hoshido restoring fabulousness to the land. There's loads they could do with this. Even just have a FE x Style Boutique/Style Savvy crossover. I'd buy dozens of copies of that.

Obvious follow-up question to this: Which FE character has the best hair?
choose carefully, your answer to this can make or break my respect for you

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Obvious follow-up question to this: Which FE character has the best hair?
choose carefully, your answer to this can make or break my respect for you
Wrys, obviously.

What's a feature/mechanic you like but gets a lot of hate in the rest of the community?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wrys, obviously.

What's a feature/mechanic you like but gets a lot of hate in the rest of the community?
It's a bit of a stretch to call it a "feature," but I actually like SoV's boat and swamp maps. The desert ones can take a hike, though. Looking at you, archer box.

Favorite Fire Emblem remix in Ultimate? :p

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Beyond Distant Skies, making one of my least liked chapter music my favorite is quite the accomplishment

Honorable mention is the remix of the heroes version main theme.

FE game you would want remade the most?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Fun fact Leif from Thracia was originally going to be in Melee with Marth instead of Roy, but Sakurai decided he wanted to help promote the upcoming FE game before it came out. Though that's what most likely what would happen its not what I would choose due to the likely possibility of being another clone at the time.
I would say I would choose Gaiden Celica, due to spells and also help show off more of the series.

Is there a song in the series that doesn't have remix in Smash that you would like to hear remixed?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Because only having one track from FE4 in Smash is criminal, and because the existing one makes me cry (at least in its original form) so might as well keep that thread going.

Should they try to bring back dismounting?
For those unfamiliar with it, dismounting is a feature in FE3 and 5 which, like it says, lets you dismount mounted units so they become regular infantry. Usually this comes with a slight drop in stats, but the dismounted unit loses vulnerability to anti-cavalry/flier bonus damage (so you can dismount a flier on a map full of archers to keep them safe, for example). You're also forced to dismount while indoors, and which weapons a unit can use is affected by whether or not the unit is mounted.
https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Dismount

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
Only for the FE5 remake. Things like these is what makes a game unique, much like Gaiden/SoV's dungeon exploring. So if they ever remake FE4 and FE5 then they should include this, but any other game no.

Best-looking sword of all FE characters in Smash (Lyn and Black Knight included)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Got to go with Ragnell. That Golden blade is sleek. The black hilt also looks nice.

Which house do you plan on teaching for in Three Houses?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I was leaning to Edelgard, but lots of people will do that and she has some characters with designs I don't like, so I might go with Claude's.

Have you ever played an FE draft?

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
Nope.

For your future Three Houses playthrough, what class will you make [insert leader of the house you choose]? Should be all classes in that line, so for example you make Edelgard into a Cavalier --> Great Knight

Top Bottom