• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem OVAs

DragonSlayer Marth

Smash Rookie
ADV Films (the company responsible for bringing Burn Up W and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 to the states) owns the rights to the Fire Emblem OVAs. I've not yet seen them, and I'm kind of reluctant to spend money on it. It's VHS only, subbed or dubbed, and I generally buy anime on DVD. Has who has seen them willing to give an honest review? I'm also reluctant because ADV films has a tendency to produce horrible dubs (Not that I'm a fan of dubs, but what they did to the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs is a shame), and on occassion inaccurate translations in their subtitles. So if anybody's seen those OVAs, a review would be much appreciated.

Novowels

Fallen Angel
BRoomer
I own the VHS, and it's pretty horrible. Of course, I never played the actual Fire Emblem games, but the storyline is really spotty, jumps around a lot. The characters look nothing like the Smash Melee characters (in fact, Marth is called "Mars" in it) and I don't even think Roy is in it. I have fallen asleep twice watching it, and even when I'm awake I don't know what the heck is going on half the time. Some decent fighting and animation, but overall there's nothing worth watching.

And ADV's dubbing department blows goats. Of course, I'm still pretty annoyed with them for what they did to Evangelion. At least Manga is bringing the movies of EVA over, so there's SOME hope it will be done right.

It's too bad ADV is like, the number 1 importer of anime. 2/3s of the anime I can get around here has to be ADV or Pioneer.

As for the Fire Emblem OVA(s? - I only have one tape).... I'd pass. It is definately not worth paying money for. I wish I hadn't.

whoatemycheeze

Smash Apprentice
Stranded on an island with nothing but a bag of po
but roy isn't even a main fire emblem character. he didn't even make an appearance until fire emblem 5(i think) the videogame. i don't think he's in any of the movies or shows. i was going to buy a fire emblem movie (dragon of darkness: sword of light something like that) for $13 but i decided not to.

<small>[ April 03, 2002, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: whoatemycheeze ]</small>

marthfan1102

Smash Rookie
Hi!It's okay(fire emblem).Did you try the new one that just came out?(fire emblem)I think Roy is the main guy.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Ya I have FE on tape. It's ok. They do call Marth "Mars" and they don't have Roy in it at all. It's kinda weird because it is just slabs of parts of it put together to make a video. At the bottom it has the words scroll by: Not for resale. Promotional usage only. Or something like that.

Top Bottom