• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finishing with DeDeDe?

Finshu

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I play DDD from time to time, and put simply, I seem to have a very rough time finishing people. Any pointers?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Fsmash, Usmash, and dash attack are all straight-up kill moves. You can also wall of pain them with Bair or even Fair. Fthrow and Bthrow have good knockback too so they'd be useful depending on your opponent. Throwing Gordos is obviously good and Waddle Dees/Doos can also KO at higher percentages. A fully (or at least slomewhat) charged Jet Hammer has great knockback but not a lot of range. Dedede's multiple jumps are also great for gimping recoveries. And, if you can pull it off, the Dededecide (or, better yet, Dededespike) are not only effective but also flashy.

Basically, I would say that if you're really having trouble KOing with Dedede you might want to adjust your playstyle.

Banned via Administration
so alot of these responses were quite terrible so ill give you a real answer.

all of ddd's moves can be used to both "combo" and finish, that's why people were typing all of his moves. but the real answer to the question is how do you expect them to DI? If you think they'll DI away if they are expecting something like utilt then do a dtilt. Certain moves, however, dont really care about DI (fsmash, jet hammer). But those moves are quite hard to pull off against a decent player, particularly jet hammer.

So, the best thing to do is just do moves that you KNOW will connect, and eventually he will die and you won't. DDD's whole concept is that he wrecks people w/ bad spacing and outlives near everyone in the game but gets wrecked by great spam and people who can outcamp him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Don't be using smash attacks to kill. They're too slow. The Jet Hammer lacks range, but it's faster than the smash attacks. The f-air may also work too.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't say don't use smashes. Down smash comes out quickly, and has wide coverage around Dedede. It's great to punish rollers. However, if you're a little TOO good at anticipating the roll, you'll miss the entire thing, leaving you open (happens to me all the time). Thus, if you are very sure that they are going to roll behind you, charge it for a brief moment. You get the bonus of hitting them, and having a powered-up smash.

Up smash works okay - it has better range than the up tilt, and thus you may catch opponents unaware if you are consciously making them aware of the up tilt.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Up Tilt an Down Smash are my most common killers, followed by F/Bair and FSmash from throws or spitting out.

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
Most of the kills I get are with the bair or dtilt. Basically all of his moves will kill you, so I tend to rely on the faster ones to get kills. But correct spacing and timing or good mindgames can get you early kills with stuff like fsmash. Just predict DI and punish accordingly.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Don't be using smash attacks to kill. They're too slow. The Jet Hammer lacks range, but it's faster than the smash attacks. The f-air may also work too.
Uhh... no. Jet Hammer is terrible and shouldn't be used period. It has no range and terrible ending lag, while many of his other moves have disjointed hitboxes. F-air is also fairly slow (*rim shot*) and isn't a reliable killer until high percentages. Dedede is great at getting early kills, you just have to learn how to land smashes.

D-smash is fantastic, and can easily connect after a spotdodge. F-smash can be hard to land normally, but it's possible to mindgame characters into it either at the end of a chaingrab (off the edge) or on characters that aren't possible to chain grab. The latter is done by continually regrabbing if they roll away, and f-smashing once they decide to change it up and roll towards you. Of course, once they figure it out they will wait until you make a move and the d-throw will be harder to follow up. Dash attack can be used similarly.

Dash attack is a pretty good punisher, and has a good amount of killing power.

B-air is also a killer at high percents... but can also kill lower by stagespiking. Run off the stage and b-air as your opponent is recovering from beneath.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
When I can't get a good power move in, I b-air them and edgeguard or wall of pain them off the stage.

Uhh... no. Jet Hammer is terrible and shouldn't be used period. It has no range and terrible ending lag, while many of his other moves have disjointed hitboxes. F-air is also fairly slow (*rim shot*) and isn't a reliable killer until high percentages. Dedede is great at getting early kills, you just have to learn how to land smashes.

D-smash is fantastic, and can easily connect after a spotdodge. F-smash can be hard to land normally, but it's possible to mindgame characters into it either at the end of a chaingrab (off the edge) or on characters that aren't possible to chain grab. The latter is done by continually regrabbing if they roll away, and f-smashing once they decide to change it up and roll towards you. Of course, once they figure it out they will wait until you make a move and the d-throw will be harder to follow up. Dash attack can be used similarly.

Dash attack is a pretty good punisher, and has a good amount of killing power.

B-air is also a killer at high percents... but can also kill lower by stagespiking. Run off the stage and b-air as your opponent is recovering from beneath.
ok, why would you say jet hammer is terrible but then say fsmash is fine? you either like mindgames or you dont. learn to ****ing play this game.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
ok, why would you say jet hammer is terrible but then say fsmash is fine? you either like mindgames or you dont. learn to ****ing play this game.
Because Jet Hammer is terrible and f-smash is fine. F-smash has something we like to call range, and in a game where characters are so big they take up half of the effing screen, it's kind of useful. F-smash can stop approaches, and is as hardly as punishable as Jet Hammer. F-smash also has higher knockback.

Notice where I said f-smash was applicable. After a d-throw. Because you can actually kill with it. Mindgames aren't "either you like them or you don't." You use them where it's possible to, and unless you think throwing out an incredibly weak, laggy move that you can't charge without getting camped the **** out of is a mindgame, please explain how the two are comparable.

D

Deleted member

I know exactly the problem you are having finishing with D3. The usmash and dsmash don't have enough KO potential because they don't come out fast enough. Honestly, I would suggest using sideB more to try and get gordos. They are a guarenteed KO at like 120%, and also allow for an approach if they shield. For a good KO move that comes out fast, use the Back Aerial. This will also KO very early and it also hard to shield grab if spaced correctly.

I know exactly the problem you are having finishing with D3. The usmash and dsmash don't have enough KO potential because they don't come out fast enough. Honestly, I would suggest using sideB more to try and get gordos. They are a guarenteed KO at like 120%, and also allow for an approach if they shield. For a good KO move that comes out fast, use the Back Aerial. This will also KO very early and it also hard to shield grab if spaced correctly.
WHAT? dsmash doesnt come out fast enougH? LOLLLLLL

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
i never have any problems with d smash coming out...

or killing with ddd for that matter...

bair kills
fair kills
all smashes kill
up tilt kills
down b kills
dash attack kills

pick one

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
DDD is king of off stage hits. get them off the ledge and bair or fair them

time a fsmash and u just killed them at -40%

downsmash kills at 140, uptilt at 110 upsmash at 120 ect

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice
from best to not-so-best-but still-way-good bair, utilt, and dsmash, ,, bair jsut comes out so fat and has nice range

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
from best to not-so-best-but still-way-good bair, utilt, and dsmash, ,, bair jsut comes out so fat and has nice range
bair does come out so fat, you can't miss with it!

no but seriously bair is rediculous you can kill with it, or you can combo it all day long.
finishing with dedede is just crazy imo. i have been messing around with the jet hammer alot and actually have found great uses for it as well as his ... slew of finishers

but if you are having trouble finishing with dedede, i might suggest picking someone else or using your moves more carefully. except utilt, as long as you just don't use it till they are over 100 you'll be ok!

Top Bottom