• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finishers After D-Throw

Meian

Smash Cadet
I noticed that some characters (or possibly players with DI) seem more capable than others to avoid the u-air after d-throw because they can air dodge in time or are too far away (some still land fine nonetheless). I do not know if this is a result of the patch or the Wii U version where people have better control with the GC controller.

In some instances I have jumped higher than normal (causing a slight delay upon using u-air than normal for their air dodge) after the d-throw and fast fall'd to get with the last part of u-air but this is very difficult to do and there doesn't seem to be a real good way to practice it.

I would assume some other ways can include just dashing past them as they air dodge then b-air them quickly or even u-smash.

Are there some suggestions to follow up on this such as baiting the air dodge into something else that seems fairly reliable in these cases?

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Which characters? We need some more information.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Which characters? and whose D-throw? We need some more information.
Well, we're on the Palutena board, so I'd assume he's talking about Wario's D-throw.

Edit: Dangit, your edit ruined my joke! :mad088:
Are there some suggestions to follow up on this such as baiting the air dodge into something else that seems fairly reliable in these cases?
As you mentioned, U-Smash is usually a good follow-up if you condition your foe throughout the match to airdodge after a d-throw by always following it up with a fair or nair. This is a common way for me to take a first stock on For Glory, but is more of a gimmicky read than an actual combo.

I think we're just going to have to live with the fact that u-air after d-throw is not a 100% reliable kill combo, and we should be grateful for that, because having such a true killing combo is rarely something that won't get patched out and nerfed to useless levels.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I suggest going to training mode and find out what percentage you are no longer able to do Dthrow into uair combo. Once that's done get a friend to DI for you OR use tape and DI away and see what percentage your no longer able to combo it anymore. Once you learn when it no longer works if they DI figure out what you can do to punish them for DI'ing that way.

edit: Nvm, it seems Palutena dthrow into uair combo's forever, like I stop caring at 190% on mario.

Also at a certain percentage dthrow into usmash seem to be a combo as well.

Last edited:

Meian

Smash Cadet
I suggest going to training mode and find out what percentage you are no longer able to do Dthrow into uair combo.
Which characters? We need some more information.
It seems to relate to most/all percentages regarding the u-air on those that seem to always get away from it. I don't recall off the top of my head right now which characters but Zelda seemed to be one of them but that may have been a mix of the player also using DI than just simply the character. I said Zelda because I had many matches against such one at different percentages trying to follow into u-air after d-throw and it never landed once (except in the fast fall method I said but again very difficult to pull off at least online from what little times I had to practice it) as opposed to landing it majority of the time on many of the other characters. F-air did land though each time it was done correctly.

Edit: Pikachu may be another but I'd have to verify that later, was just noticing it from a replay just now I had

Last edited:

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
If they dodge you could try to get a read out of it and upsmash them as they fall back down. Otherwise, fair is indeed a good idea at higher percentages.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I suggest going to training mode and find out what percentage you are no longer able to do Dthrow into uair combo. Once that's done get a friend to DI for you OR use tape and DI away and see what percentage your no longer able to combo it anymore. Once you learn when it no longer works if they DI figure out what you can do to punish them for DI'ing that way.

edit: Nvm, it seems Palutena dthrow into uair combo's forever, like I stop caring at 190% on mario.

Also at a certain percentage dthrow into usmash seem to be a combo as well.
If training mode doesn't consider it a combo, it's not a combo. Be wary of that.

Now, this doesn't mean it's not practical. It just means there's *some* window of opportunity for the opponent, regardless of how slight or insignificant, to do something. Anything. Even if there, technically, isn't anything else they can do besides get hit again. That being said, if d-throw into u-smash is a combo...nice...

On topic: N-air, f-air, and u-air are really the only finishers you need, and they stay consistent for a very long time. It's not too much to worry about really, but n-air starts missing before the other two, mind you, although it does the most damage at first (17% + pummel damage in a full combo).

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
Nah, Dthrow -> Usmash is not a combo. It's a mixup at best. If your opponent is conditioned to airdodge the Uair, you can dash Usmash, wait out the airdodge and then hit them. But no, it's no where near the same vein as Dthrow -> Fair/Nair/Uair.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Dthrow-> uair should work if you are strict with the timing. Some of the floaty characters may be exempt from this though (less stun on the throw).

Don't sleep on the dthrow stun. As long as you jump as quickly as possible and space the uair properly, it's a go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom