• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding out my router's WPA key

WolfenLegend

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I have searched everywhere on how to find out that key, and nothing has worked for me. My router is 2WIRE, I know my WEP key and everything else, yet I do not know where the WPA Key is. I have tried several times connecting to the internet on my Wii, and right now I need to input the key for my access point.

Can anyone please help me out with this? I seriously want my Nintendo Wii to work online, be able to buy games through virtual console and play other games with other people from the world.

If no one has an answer to my huge problem, can anyone atleast tell me where to buy a nintendo wi-fi usb connector?

Thank you
-WolfenLegend.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you sure that's the problem?

You said you have the WEP key but not WPA? Why would you have both encryptions on? I'm not even sure if typical routers let you do that. What exactly is the errors that you're getting?

If you do have both on somehow, turn one off. There's no need to have both for typical home usage. Even businesses only use WPA (sometimes only WEP if they're lazy).

7ak

Smash Journeyman
I agree with altF4.............just change your router to WPA and put the new key into your comps and the Wii. Only prob. is if you have a DS, it's not gonna work online anymore so if you want both, might want to get the USB dongle. Nintendo kinda dropped the ball with the DS not having WPA but oh well.

ActorMethane

Smash Rookie
If you have a 2wire, your wireless security options are limited to WEP-Open, WEP-Shared, and WPA-PSK (TKIP). Out of the box it comes with WEP-Open enabled with a default encryption key, located on the label under your two wire. It's the 10-digit number in square brackets UNDER the barcode. If you want to enable WPA-PSK, you have to go to your router IPA, probably 192.168.1.1 (found somewhere toward the end of your 2wire installation guide), select the "home network tab" at the top of the page, then "wireless settings" under that. That page will show your network id, which will be something like 2WIREXXX (XXX is the last three digits of your router's serial number), which you should change then disable broadcast; then down the page under "wireless security" there's an authentication combobox that will say WEP-Open. Change that to WPA-PSK. You can use the same default encryption key, or preferably change it by selecting the "custom" radio button and entering an 8-digit-minimum hex key, or a text string starting with something other than a digit or a-f. You have to be on a "wired" connection to access this IPA.

WolfenLegend

Smash Apprentice
Oh, thanks for the help guys. Right now, I'm a little busy but I'll be sure to get to it soon. I'll try everything you guys told me. Cool of you guys to help me out. If I try everything and it doesn't work, it's probably me or my PC. But, I'll buy a wi-fi usb connector if everything else fails.

edit: Guess what? Everything failed. I even called this computer guy and it still didn't work, and now I just bought a Nintendo wi-fi usb connector and it still didn't work. The error code was 51342. What a waste of 35$ frikkin dollars.

edit again: False alarm. It worked perfectly, I just needed to reinstall it then use the extension cable.

Top Bottom