• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finding a use for Down B

Wizpiggleton

Smash Rookie
I just realized how much I don't use this move when I play Olimar, maybe I'm just used to switching my play style for every pikmin in queue. I'm not too sure how I feel about it but in some way it feels like cycling through pikmin makes your motives predictable. I'm interested in hearing how other Olimar players benefit from using down b?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I just realized how much I don't use this move when I play Olimar, maybe I'm just used to switching my play style for every pikmin in queue. I'm not too sure how I feel about it but in some way it feels like cycling through pikmin makes your motives predictable. I'm interested in hearing how other Olimar players benefit from using down b?
There isn't really much you can get from it except changing the order of Pikmin, calling them back to you, and the super armor. Most people don't watch you're lineup as closely as the Olimar player, so if you're concerned with being predictable just try to throw another color in front to throw them off.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I only cycle through Pikmin if
A) I need a Blue Pikmin to Up-Throw kill
B) Want to toss a White Pikmin on someone
C) Move a Purple Pikmin to the back of the line so I can get the fullest of my grab range

It also provides Super Armor, so you can use it to nullify hits.

Wizpiggleton

Smash Rookie
There isn't really much you can get from it except changing the order of Pikmin, calling them back to you, and the super armor. Most people don't watch you're lineup as closely as the Olimar player, so if you're concerned with being predictable just try to throw another color in front to throw them off.
Yeah I guess that's a way of doing it, the only reason I said it makes me predictable is because by using the move you actually draw attention to your pikmin order. I can see mind games being used in this scenario.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Yeah I guess that's a way of doing it, the only reason I said it makes me predictable is because by using the move you actually draw attention to your pikmin order. I can see mind games being used in this scenario.
You can arrange your Pikmin with a mix of standard moves and whistle. Just mix it up.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Personally a thing i like to do is use the next pikmin in line to determine the next move I make to mix things up, like maybe if I get a white pikmin i could either just throw it when I know the enemy will land in lag so guaranteed dmg even a little, or a blue where i Either grab/throw/fsmash whatever comes up I adapt. Or maybe if u need a pikmin thats at the back of the line just throw the 2 pikmin towards the enemy so that its readily available as far as mix ups so it's less obvious. Kinda not focusing on down B but other alternatives always good lol.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My Olimar matches tend to consist of a symphony of whistles.
  • Pluck Pikmin
  • Whistle
  • Attack
  • Pluck
  • Whistle
  • Rinse and repeat

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Its only real uses are calling pikmin back to you and the super armor. It's faster/better to just throw a side B/any other move with a hitbox to get to your next pikmin than it is whistle just to reorder. It was more useful as a reordering tool in Brawl than it is in this game.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Its only real uses are calling pikmin back to you and the super armor. It's faster/better to just throw a side B/any other move with a hitbox to get to your next pikmin than it is whistle just to reorder. It was more useful as a reordering tool in Brawl than it is in this game.
I agree with you, with 3 Pikmins I really don't see how much getting advantage of. Besides, of course, of the super armor.
I find myself changing the Pikmin with the constantly use of it instead of the whistle.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I know it has super armor but it's never the option I think to do In those situations, I guess because I'm not exactly sure when it begins and ends. Does anyone know when the armor starts and how long it lasts? I do love using all moves of a character's arsenal.

Also do you guys prefer any of the custom down B's?
I kinda like the dizzy one, but I rarely get a use out of it either. I mean if the Pikmin are touching the opponent on the way back they still get turned around, but I rarely utilize it. I'm a Mario main that loves to play matador with the cape so I thought it'd carry over a little but meh.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I know it has super armor but it's never the option I think to do In those situations, I guess because I'm not exactly sure when it begins and ends. Does anyone know when the armor starts and how long it lasts? I do love using all moves of a character's arsenal.

Also do you guys prefer any of the custom down B's?
I kinda like the dizzy one, but I rarely get a use out of it either. I mean if the Pikmin are touching the opponent on the way back they still get turned around, but I rarely utilize it. I'm a Mario main that loves to play matador with the cape so I thought it'd carry over a little but meh.
Pretty sure it starts right when olimar's hand touches the whistle and lasts like 4 frames or something.

PFANT2015

Smash Rookie
NNID
pfantproductions
I think the whistle is extremely useful. Tank an attack and immediately follow up with your own aerial or smash.
also if your looking for a clever way to use your whistle as a mind game you try this.

let's say the pikmin you want to use to attack is the third in the chain. quicly toss the first to at your opponent to distract them then follow up with that third pikmin you had planned to approach with. then a quick whistle will send the first 2 you threw as a distraction back to your chain. Might sound elementary but to pro's but it's definitely a good technique to use to "secretly" manage your pikmin. Cause like you said, spamming the whistle is not a bad option but you could be doing damage and prepping your next attack at the same time if you get one of those pikmin to latch that you didn't plan on using immediately.

Also with olimars new recovery, tossing pikmin away is no longer death wish like it was in brawl if you happen to get knocked under the stage.

Top Bottom