• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FINALLY ordered my 3DS. Some advice needed.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Okay, horrible truth. I haven't actually owned either of the new Nintendo systems for quite awhile. I haven't paid much attention to them, regardless of my infinite love for the Nintendo company itself, and their characters. I kept debating about picking it up, sometime around the start of last year.

When Luigi's Mansion came out, I really wanted to. When I heard about the games you could buy on the 3DS's Virtual Store, I really wanted to. When I saw the Super Mario 3D Land, I really wanted to. When I saw Animal Crossing, it BEYOND tempted me. Paper Mario nearly broke me. Super Smash Bros was the final straw. I needed this damn system.

So I kept holding off, and I remember missing out on the chance to get the 3DS XL with the Mario/Luigi dream team saga on it. Originally, I wasn't a big fan of the 3-D when I first tested it out. It hurt my eyes a bit. I didn't know you could turn it off.

Now that I know you can turn the 3D off, I'm glad to say I got my hands on the silver 3DS XL that comes with Mario and Luigi Dream Team Saga, and has Mario and Luigi on it. Now I also got Scribblenauts Unmasked [As a huge comic fan, that's pretty much worth it] for free since Toys R Us is doing a deal on it.

I'm now waiting for it to arrive in the mail now. But my question is, what are some other games I should get? What should I do for protection? I don't immediately want a case. I know, things can fall. I do need some kind of protection, but I want to show the Mario/Luigi design on the top of it. I'm really glad I got it for that reason, and I'd feel it would be rendered useless.

Should I pick up some of the fancy pens? A bag for it? What games should I pick up? Should I pick up a cash card for the Virtual Store? I know I'm a huge fan of the old Nintendo games.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Keep your 3DS in that white pouch for protection. While you do that, buy these when you're able to.
  • Hori Screen Protector
  • Hori Duraflexi Protector
  • Extra Pad 3D (for grip and comfort)
  • Wrist strap (any kind, but mostly recommending a wii strap)

For Games:
  • MarioKart 7
  • Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  • Bravely Default
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Steel Diver: Sub Wars (Free)
  • EDGE
  • Streetpass Mii Plaza (All 4 DLCs)
  • Colors! 3D (If you like to draw.)
  • Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate (Not released, so wait for it and don't waste time buying MH4.)
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 5
  • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
  • Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2
  • Cave Story 3D
  • Pokemon Z (pretty damn obvious it'll be an upcoming game, but go crazy and buy Pokemon X or Y if I'm wrong.)
  • Harmoknight

Most importantly, buy all the megaman games you can get.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I got mine relatively recently as well, so I don't have a whole lot of games, but I can second Animal Crossing for sure. Pokemon X and Y are really good, but as Vinyl said there will almost certainly be a third version with improved features; so yeah, if you're interested but you're distracted enough with other games, it may be best to hold off on that. I can also throw in a good word for Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

I would, however, advise you to do some research on Paper Mario: Sticker Star before you buy that. I was really excited about it too, but I looked up reviews / information / etc. and found out that it wasn't received very well and has some odd game mechanics that didn't appeal to me. It may still be something you want to get, but I recommend that you make sure before you go into it blindly.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I would highly recommend FIre Emblem Awakening. It was my first fire emblem game and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to play whatever comes next in the series. For the time being I'm going to play some of the older games.

Also really loved Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y and Mario Kart 7. I personally thought Mario Kart 7 had pretty good online play and you could even play with friends that don't even have the game (as long as they have a 3ds though obviously).

Can't really give you any good advice on protection though. I've actually never gotten a case or bag...even though I probably should.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Recommended games:
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Bravery Default
There are many more, but these are the ones I enjoyed the most.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Well, I appreciate all the updates! Picked up a Donkey Kong carrying case, and some pens/cleaning stuff.

Annnd now my Animal Crossing New Leaf game arrived and my 3DS didn't. Yaaaay..

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
Well, I appreciate all the updates! Picked up a Donkey Kong carrying case, and some pens/cleaning stuff.

Annnd now my Animal Crossing New Leaf game arrived and my 3DS didn't. Yaaaay..
This is what happened to me when I ordered my 3DS haha. My Ocarina of Time 3D came a couple days before my 3ds. :p

Top Bottom