• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally an update...Fdv's Art

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master

So this a new character I'm making, for an excercise at uni, and possibly for another film next year. I've managed to get Sub-Surface Scattering working on the skin, which looks pretty cool imo. She is still missing eyebrows (and a body, duh), and the current hair is just a placeholder.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Well, it seems to be turning out very well so far. Not too sure about the technical details but it looks pretty good. The only thing about it that I think needs work is that it just looks too plain. It's difficult to explain what you could work on, and although it looks good, I doubt I would remember a face like that. Something a little more original...

EEvisu

Smash Lord
^ everytime I see you post your asking for something...

Yo my man Fdv that $hit looks mad hot for a start I like the detail so far looks good just keep adding and be sure to show the finally product XD

Ami

Smash Ace
Wooow, amazing!! You are certainly very talented at this. I really like the lighting, and so I can't wait for the finished result if you are going to show it!

Do you have a name for her, yet?

A_Falco_user7350

Smash Journeyman
yeah i ask often its addicting but this one is for something other than smashboards. I actually just need a graphic of a butterfinger saying slutterfinger . Its for this thign im in called paperchasers.......im practically asking for a logo..

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Well, it seems to be turning out very well so far. Not too sure about the technical details but it looks pretty good. The only thing about it that I think needs work is that it just looks too plain. It's difficult to explain what you could work on, and although it looks good, I doubt I would remember a face like that. Something a little more original...
Yeah, I still have a lot of refining and fine-tuning to do, and keep in mind that this is a completely expressionless face to make the rigging easier. Once I have rigged it and set up facial morphs, it should look much better with expressions.

A_Falco_user7350, considering the amount of time and effort it takes to make this kind of stuff, I wouldn't take a request unless you offered me a large sum of money for my trouble.

And no name for her yet, Ami, maybe Sally or something lame like that.

I have sort of shelved this character for now, and I'm working on a similar styled space cadet kid (kinda like a cross between Megaman and Buzz Lightyear). I basically took this head and modified it, adding a body and stuff as well. I might post it soon.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I used 3D Studio Max 8.

Since I think I want to use that character later on, I'm shelving it for now, and moved on to a similar styled Space Cadet kid thing. I was going to put them together in a short or something, that might still happen, I dunno.

I'm still not really confident about the design, so if anybody has any suggestions, feel free to speak up.

First, some concepts:

Unfinished model:

Also, I want to give him a really cheesy space name, something like Jimmy Neutron or Buzz Lightyear, and that will be incorporated into the outfit. Any ideas are welcome.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Notice in all old sci fi movies, the cliche spaceperson suit has a stripe or weird bandy line or rocketship logo or something of that sort on it somewhere.

Name: Zarkon Galacticus?

Light

Smash Journeyman
I really like the character design sketches, I hope you remain faithful to them.

Timmy StarGazer? Red Ship? Tommorrow Boy?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master

Meta? Long time no see man, making your annual post, are you? That topic brings back so many memories, mostly bad ones, lol.

Marthmaster~ I don't make full feature films (maybe one day, you never know), but did make a little animated short last year, and I have to do another one next year for uni.

Thanks for the comments everybody, the names will me most useful.

MetaKnightZero

Smash Apprentice
hehe yeah.. someone mentioned the forums out there on the internet and i was all like "hey wait, i know that place!" so i decided to show up :p I remember your short film! I sorta feel like watching it again :p Gotta love them mysterious doors. Hope you figure out a good name for your character! :)

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
How do you generally go about modelling things like this? I mean, when you start. Do you start with a poly primative and extrude or start with NURBS or something and convert to polys later for detailing? I just got back in to doing 3D stuff and I want to experiment with different techniques.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
How do you generally go about modelling things like this? I mean, when you start. Do you start with a poly primative and extrude or start with NURBS or something and convert to polys later for detailing? I just got back in to doing 3D stuff and I want to experiment with different techniques.
I usually use either box modelling or edge extrusion techniques with polygons, and then use subdivision for smoothing. I've never used nurbs, and I probably never will.

So I finished the character and animated it!

We had to find ten seconds of dialogue from a movie or tv, and animate our charaters to them. It's far more fun that I was expecting.

The animation is available for viewing/download here (724KB).

Also, I ended up settling on the name Cosmo Kid. A bit lame I know, but meh. I may do some proper in-character animations for him at a later date, it would be a shame to just throw him aside.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I think you'll need Quicktime 7 to play it. And it's Aquaman from Robot Chicken.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
wow.....is this possible in blender? im looking into starting 3d work and also if you know of some good tutorials id love to see a few....i cant wait to start school and do some of this

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
It may be possible in blender, I'm not sure, but if you seriously want to get into this kind of stuff, I would recommend getting a program like 3D Studio Max or Maya.

3Dtotal.com has heaps of good tutorials, and check out cgtalk.com for a huge community full of professionals who can offer you help.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
bledner seemed abit easier to jump into...n00b freindly..then move into 3dstudio

i guess ill give 3dsmax a try....

thxs for the links also

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Update time, finally. I haven't done any proper stuff in ages, but I have been doing a bunch of uni stuff. Here's an unfinished game character I'm making. Note the untextured guns. And yes, he has a jetpack.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Fdv man I think your great this is what I'm in school to do, to make movies and video games, I'm totally going to try this program!

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
This is very good stuff, but I'm sure you already know that:laugh:

Now that you have the technique down, I'd suggest that you work on refining your own style. All of this stuff looks very nice, but it's nothing I haven't seen before. I can't tell you how many times I've seen great artist go unnoticed by the majority of the public, just because their work looks almost identical to someone else's. Sure, they're amazingly talented, but without individuality, they wont get anywhere.

So, that would be my suggestion. You've definitely got a gift for 3D animation, just don't let yourself be another Pixar wanna be. I know you're better than that. Trust me.

Top Bottom