• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash and Her Other Half

rushdown

Smash Rookie
I've tried ZSS and I like her a lot, she feels similar to Sonic, who I'm trying to main. My question is, for you ZSS mainers, how do you feel about Samus?

It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of never using her Final Smash. When I do use it, it feels mediocre, so maybe I'm not using it correctly? And I think the worse part is I'm not that good with Samus and I don't really feel any inclination in speccing Samus.

For characters like PT and Zelda/Sheik, I feel it's more important to learn the set as a whole. PT to some extent you're forced to, while the Zelda/Sheik combo is more voluntary and optional, even with the introduction of their Final Smashes. But with ZSS, you don't really have a side-effect free Final Smash to take advantage of.

So, ZSS players. Are you learning both of her halves? Or are you learning only the ZSS side? How do you reconcile your play when Final Smashes are on?

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I started off as a Sonic main when Brawl first came out, and am happily maing Zamus at this point. Zamus is much better, many more killing moves, and just more fun in my opinion.

Also, I never play with final smashes on, unless I am playing with someone who knows nothing about the game, so I really don't know much about playing as Samus. If you are going to play as Zamus with smash balls on, you might as well learn Samus or just let your opponent use the smash ball.

Edit: Typing error.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Obviously my main is ZSS, secondary Zelda. I never switch into Sheik anymore, which is exactly the opposite of how it was in Melee. But as for ZSS, nope, never gonna bother to learn to play Samus. The few times that me and my friends play with Final Smashes on, I play Zelda or Jigglypuff.

rushdown

Smash Rookie
I guess a major point I wanted to make was... Will you refuse to play ZSS if Final Smashes are in play? Or will you absorb the ball and not use the move/your neutral B for the duration of your life? Or will you just let other characters use the Final Smash against you?

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
I'll use it.
Because I know if I can get the FS again as Samus its GAME OVER.

StarScarJenova

Smash Rookie
To begin with, Samus can change back to Zero without the Smash Ball. The only downside to this is having to stomach playing as Samus, if you're uncomfortable with the idea. I used to be a Samus main so it doesn't bother me any, so the next downside is the damage given for the Final. It's mediocre, really, under certain circumstances it KO's, not really sure which they are. In my opinion, using Zero Final Smash is not necessary unless you play Samus, in which case don't stress it.

SSJ

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
With ZSS's FS you can get easy KO's just by standing next to someone while you use it. I would just hate to have to wait for another Smash Ball to get back to ZSS without getting killed trying to pull off the taunt.

Garde

Smash Ace
I always go for the Smash Ball as Zamus. I don't use it that often, but her FS is useful only at close range, so it allows you to often go for attacks that you wouldn't be able to get off. I love the mind games with it because people try to get away from you most of the time since it has such a small range, they just hope you try to burn it ASAP. But if you just keep on smacking them while they're running, eventually they'll learn and go for an attack instead of avoiding you, and THAT is when you use it.

Honestly, Samus isn't horrible. She's definitely easier to play now than she was in Melee, albeit not as good. I like her SH a lot more (I wish she had kept her jumping speed), though the rest of her jumps are frustratingly low now. I usually switch out of the Power Suit as soon as I use her FS, especially if I'm at 180+%, because I'm bound to die soon as normal Samus, but if I'm at pretty low %, I usually just play around with her a bit, using missiles, charging the Charge Shot whenever someone is too far away to hit me out of it, and using her air game since most people don't like to approach Samus on the ground (her air moves are still pretty good, the sex kick is the only one that's noticeably worse for me).

Also, sometimes if I'm at really high % and have spare stocks, I'll just grab the Smash Ball and SD, that really pisses people off.

StarScarJenova

Smash Rookie
With ZSS's FS you can get easy KO's just by standing next to someone while you use it. I would just hate to have to wait for another Smash Ball to get back to ZSS without getting killed trying to pull off the taunt.
At low percentages Zero's FS doesn't KO, causes about 25% damage and simply knocks them away. Try it out, I've been messing with her **** FS cause I like using it, but it seems so terribly limited.

Oh and Samus does have her saving graces. Tethering with her is actually really effective I think she's just as fun, but I tend to go for the speed more.

SSJ

KhannKlan

Smash Cadet
I happily use both. I'm decent with both of them and practicing will make me better, both are such cool characters and not taking advantage of the different playing styles of both characters is a big mistake imo.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I fail at using Samus, I can use her if I absolutely have to but I can't play her well at all.

When Final Smashes are on, I tend to try to hog the FS and avoid getting into situations where I need to use my neutral B and try to hog it and keep it until I either get KOed (which is hard) or finish the match (which is harder).

It's not a very effective strategy, which is why I play Ike when FS is on usually, as long as my opponent isn't also Ike since I am sooooo tired of Ike dittos.

Also, I don't understand her FS. It's supposed to kill right? I've gotten only 2 KOs with it, I have tested in training mode and my opponent just gets zapped a bit and pushed away a bit, but never far...

AquaMethod

Smash Rookie
Also, I don't understand her FS. It's supposed to kill right? I've gotten only 2 KOs with it, I have tested in training mode and my opponent just gets zapped a bit and pushed away a bit, but never far...
It's actually pretty great at decent percentages. At about 50% and up, it'll kill if you can pull it off. It makes you a lot harder to approach, like others have said. Just use it for mindgames and pull it off if you really need to (waiting too long can get it knocked out of you, though). In free-for-alls, it's usually not impossible to taunt back with the GCN controller. 1v1...you can probably do it, but you'll be punished. It's a shame you can't do it in the air like Zelda and Sheik.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
I refuse to use Samus in Brawl as protest for the load of garbage they've turned her into. The projectiles are pretty bad, and she doesn't stand out particularly on either aerial or grounded combat. Heck, in Melee she wasn't even top tier; high tier at best, but they had to nerf her still.

ZSS is just so much better. I don't care about the Smash Ball; they can use the FS on me; I've gotten quite adept at avoiding them with the limited experience I have on Smash Ball-inclusive matches.

Top Bottom