• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Fantasy XII - New Video/Characters/Massive Info Update

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I must revive this topic to talk about my problems.

I saw a picture of Ashe in a magazine and now I'm in love and don't care who knows it!! :love: I am going to write her name over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... Hahahahaha. Tripple double tripple hott. I considered a threesome between me, her, and Tifa, but I probably wouldn't even know Tifa was there.

But honestly, if you don't look at the artwork of her carefully, it looks like she's picking her nose. It confuses me that they didn't consider that. Oh well.

The Star Wars esque style of this game's scenery wasn't really a surprise. How many of you really didn't expect it?

Vaan is a pretty-boy. Replace him with me.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Re: I must revive this topic to talk about my problems.

Originally posted by pokemonmaster01
Vaan is a pretty-boy. Replace him with me.
That would cause the game to crash :)

Jeez, what happened to all of the people who were looking forward to this who were posting? www.ffxii.org/ is great for pictures. They have pictures from the videos up that are from Famitsu I guess. Great quality, too.

The chick with the bunny ears is awesome (I don't remember the name of her race -_-) ^^

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
You might want to double check that link, Cashed. I don't think Final Fantasy 13 is quite in the development stages yet.

Hehe, but anywho, I'm still excited for this game like crazy, but there really hasn't been much info lately that hasn't already been discussed.

And Cashed, the bunny chicks are more commonly known as Viera ;)

[Cashed edit: ^^;; Just be glad I caught myself when I typed that in "ffxxiii." I mean really, Final Fantasy 23 is pretty far off. :p

Viera? That sounds like a brand of bottled water to me.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
A new character has been added to the FFXII story.

Pannero is an energetic girl, who is also Vaan's girlfriend. I'm interested to see how this will work out between her, Vaan, and Ashe, if at all. So far she's the hottest. ;)

Pannero

*sizzle sizzle*

Take that, Ashe-lovers.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Mmm... She has a kinda school-girl look to her. I'd have to agree too, she'd have to be the best looking character I've seen so far in FFXII.

HondaFoo, have you read whether or not Pannero will be part of your party in FFXII?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Well, the developers are fans of a large party of playable characters, and I read somewhere what her weapon is, though I can't think of it, so I'm assuming that yes, Pannero is a playable character. If not, we'll surely see a lot of her.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Yeah, I know, double post, but the previous is almost a month old, and this game hasn't even come out yet.

Anyway, I have some new news.

It will play like an online game but be completely offline.
More exact, it'll play a lot like FFXI where there are no "random" battles, as you can see, and possibly avoid, any and all enemies roaming around the map. There will be no set battle positions, and I'm guessing that hitting monsters from behind, for instance, will be part of the new battle technique.

The new system.
It's a tradition to implement a new system of equipping or leveling, and in this game it's no exception. As of now, only one character per battle will be controllable by you, and the other two or three will have to be under a system where their AI is equipped a certain way. I'm not sure how it works yet, but I'm guessing that you equip a "style" that the character plays, such as mostly offense, or defense, etc. Maybe even their abilities. We're still pretty much in the dark.

World Map makes it's return.
The Overworld map used in games in the series such as FFVII-FFIX will return, but instead of an oversized character walking around to various small towns, it'll be a lot more like the type of map in FFXI, where everything kinda meshes into one another, and it's to scale with the characters, but changes to different screens when you enter a building, etc. This is the main reason why the game is going to be two discs. Also, you'll be able to look in any direction at any time, so now even ceilings in buildings will be visible. This will truly be the first completely 3D offline Final Fantasy game.

I'm really excited about this game, and I hope more info on the new battle system comes out sometime soon.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Sounds absolutely awesome. I still don't like the real-time battle system but I'll see if that changes after I play some of Tales of Symphonia. Kingdom Hearts was fun with the battle system but it often pissed me off because the computers seemed so dumb sometimes.

I love RPG's with world maps, I was so disappointed when Crystal Chronicles didn't have one and you just hit whatever direction on the D-Pad to go where ever. I love running around on the World Map and having to work to get where I need to go.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/459841_20040510_screen036.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/459841_20040510_screen044.jpg

:)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
So excited...

EDIT: Okay, I erased all the Penelo info to give you guys this:

A NEW VIDEO SHOWING ACTIVE GAMEPLAY

The above is a lengthy video showing various places in the game, and the new active battle and Gambit system. I noticed several new features:

Arches Connecting a Character With Their Target
Rather than only having an arrow or circle around a character's target, which it does anyway, the game features an arch of light that connects you and your enemy, either just to show your target, or, it could signify the path of a long range weapon, such as an arrow, and could be used to possibly get a clear shot. Also, a small symbol of a sword travels slowly along it, either blue or red, depending if you or the enemy is attacking. I don't know if the symbol changes if you use an attack or magic, but I do know that when it reaches the other side you do the attack, so it's kinda like a time measurement. Maybe your speed stat will affect how fast it travels the arc.

General Battle
I knew that the battle system was free, but I didn't expect anything like this. The camera is completely movable and zoomable, everything pauses when you're in the menu to select your next attack, it's just so great.

Also, when you select an enemy, it has a Range bar, with WPN and MAG. Where I paused it, both said OK, but I'm guessing that each waepon or magic ability has a max range.

Miscellaneus
1. The new interface is translucent, so you can see the paused gameplay behind it.
2. Both your current HP/MP and total HP/MP are shown, and there's some sort of bar under each character's name, probably a time bar.
3. Left of your character's name shows the selected action, such as Hi-Potion or Attacking.
4. Vaan uses a spear to attack.
5. Axes are in this game.
6. The interface looks very different, and includes:
- Switch [change your party members]
- Status [check your strength, exp, defense, etc.]
- Equipiment [equip weapons and armor]
- Map [overview of world map]
- Battle Log [no idea...]
- Quests [list of/info on quests completed]
- Handbook [help witht he battle system, Gambits, etc.]
- Config [audio options, video options, subtitles, etc.]
- Load Data [load a saved game, most likely]
- To Title [equivalent of Quit, I'm guessing]

Then, to the side of that menu it has:
- Large numbers, most likely their combat level, by the thumbnailed portrait of each character, and their name below the number.
- Current HP/Max HP
- Current MP/Max MP
- Above the HP are some icons, though I can't tell what they are

In the Equpiment Menu it has:
- Weapons
- Ammo [hmm, maybe change the type of arrow you shoot, etc.]
- Armor
- Items
- Gambits
7. Small bars with each character's HP hover above their heads
8. For some reason, sometimes black bars appear and cover the status bar and Help, but I have no idea why.
9. The characters move very realistically and their emotions are better portrayed even than FFX. Vaan and Ashe's faces are made of over 1450 polygons each. Hopefully, their mouths will be re-sync with the English release.

EDIT II: New character:

BASCH

Basch is a Dalmascan knight that joins Ashe and Vaan in the resistance. Looks rougher and more medieval, which is really good for this game.

EDIT III: New Info

Ashe, Vaan, and Basch are tied together by a non-playable character in the storyline named Rex, Vaan's big brother, Ashe's husband, and Basch's collegue.. In the opening scene of the game, it is shown that Basch kills Rex, as well as the king of Dalmasca, because they have betrayed the Kingdom.

Huge news. Ashe is Vaan's sister-in-law. Maybe the King sold the Kingdom out for his own skin. Maybe Rex is the guy with the white hair that is handed the sword in one of the first CG trailers released. How will Ashe and Vaan stand for Basch. Amazing storyline in the works.

Also, the sky is the symbol of freedom. So, Bathier and Fran are fighting, but Vaan doesn't yet understand why, because he believes that they've already won their freedom with the airship. The focus of the story is how Vaan is going to grow and learn to understand various aspects of Ivalice.

Also, some sad news. The airship fighting was found to be too complex to pull off, and maybe even too graphic-intense, so airship vs. airship battles won't be appearing. However, they play a very important in the game, so expect some battles simular to FFX where you're on the airship fighting flying enemies, or even if enemies invade your airship.

More semi-sad news, the only music that Square's long-time composer Nobuo Uematsuwill be making is the main theme song, and the rest will be by the composer of FF Tactics and Vagrant Story, which really isn't that bad, and actually kidna refreshing.

So, you can forget about an obvious love story between Ashe and Vaan, because Square has already said that it will be toned down by a lot int his one, and they're in-laws anyway. And this story will be by the same guy as FF Tactics, still believed to have the best storyline of all Square games, so it will be amazing. And no more random battles, woo.

The game is estimated to take someone 100-150 hours right now, but it might be even longer if some great mini-games are added. Phenominal.

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
so...(Takes in all of the information) is this real action (kingdom hearts style)? because that's not really what FF is known for (well technically the first was, but that was the least popular one)

anyways Im assuming that Basch is the tank, Ashe is the quick fighter, Balfrea is long range, Pommemo (or whatever it is) is the theif...but what about the others?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
It's sort of a mix of KH and FFX. The game pauses when you are picking your moves or whatever it is you're gonna go that turn. You only control one person though and the computer runs the rest of the show though.

You assign the jobs of the computer controlled characters from what I got of the information HondaFoo posted... So it's really customizable as to whhat character does what.

NukeA6

Smash Master
This game appears to be something like Secret of Mana with Final Fantasy 4 theme. Does anyone know what enemies will be returning (Behemoth, Malboro, Cactuar) and what the main villain is?

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
Im gonna guess that the judges are your main enemies this time around, (The one in the trailer really caught my attention) And this game seems to play a lot like KOTOR. (except in that you can order commands to the computer controlled players, although they can work on their own)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Ah, great to be back.

Anyway, you can only use one character at a time, but you can switch which character that is in the menu. Meanwhile, the CPU characters can follow your commands like "Just Attack" or "Heal Yourself", and you turn those on and off at will, but sometimes they might not listen, depending on their relation with whoever is giving them (whoever you are).

Also, there's a leveling system, but there's also word of sort of a Sphere Grid system like that in FFX, though different in a few ways. Somehow, summons will also be included with the SG.

More on the battling: different attacks will require different amounts of time to execute, similar to FFX-2. So, using an itme might take 2 seconds to ready, while a powerful magic atatck might take 10. Just examples.

Also, really exciting, is that monsters will sometimes set traps for you and gang up, and they can "smell" and sense you. And the only way to escape is to actually flee and outrun the monsters. However, this will be helped by an Escape formation.

No word yet on whether or not summons will be "one hit wonders" like in the PSOne FFs or controllable like FFX. I'm guessing that the more powerful ones, like Ultima, will be one hit, while smaller, less powerful ones (like maybe a Cactuar??!!11) will walk around with you. Also, no word on Limit Breaks/Overdrives.

Also, if your original party dies, you can switch in the 3 other characters and continue.

Airships will play a major role in transportation, and although airship battles are out of the question now, you will still be able to manually control one later in the game.

There are some realy phenominal trailers at SquareNet, I suggest you watch them. FFXII will change to your most aniticipated game in no time.

Ah, the wonders of going to a FFXII forum. You learn a lot. *coughffxii.netcough*

Hope you guys are excited, becuase I sure am.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Over 2 years have passed since my last post and I'm still excited for this game. I'll finally have it in my hands tomorrow at 11:59 PM. Yay.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
This game is very good. I got this and truly haven't been able to stop playing. Aside from the great characters (Balthier steals the show for me), and the great story (so far), the gameplay is truly a splendor. While it's still fresh and new, it contains more depth than any previous FF game, and takes much more strategy once you get to use Gambits. Eventually the battles go from mindless gang attacking on enemies to true tests of strategy and skill. Love it.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Okay, holy crap, I've had this game since it came out, I have around 18 hours logged iinto it, and I still barely think I'm scratching the suface (probably because I've been avoiding the story line because it's so confusing (then again, I think I'm still in the beginning)). I'll just say, that I finally get to use the six characters, and holy crap, this game is haarrddd.

I've been doing the bulletins, and they're fricken hard. Three of my characters are at level 16 and the other three at 14, and I'm having a fricken crapload of a hard time beating these things. They kill 4 of my guys, then I bring them back, and they kill the other two, and then they kill 3 more, and then I run-away-and-find-a-save-point/die because I have no other choice. Sheesh.

The battle system is magnificent. It's so refreshing, and I think, personally, with the gambits and everything, it's superior to the ATB that we've grown accustomed to. The cities are enormous, the only one I can think of that's bigger than any of the cities in this game are Midgar (ff7), and Midgar is really divided up into lots of tiny chunks. The areas in the cities in ff12 are just enormous, as is the rest of the game.

I love it. This game is not only challenging, but it's new, different, pretty, big, and just awesome. The only things I don't like are how the voices don't exactly sync with the lips moving, but that's because those darned people in japan have to speak japanese and not english. The voice acting is pretty sweet. I don't particularly like Vaan's voice though, and Penelo's name is butt ugly, but that's pretty much it.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
The gambits really make this game. I've been finding new gambit things that work every passing day. It's like the more gambits I buy to use, the more strategic and fun the combat gets.

One thing I really like about the game is character development. This is by far the best Final Fantasy game in character development terms. Everyone is equally important, and all get very deep into the story. That's one thing I really like.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
The reason why gambits are a plus more than anything is that there is no such thing as a "perfect" gambit (well there is a "perfect" gambit via against bosses but not in regular mobs), you have to constantly switch gambits around as well as manually do things to make up time, etc.

I had the game since JP launch so I got all the ultimate weapons (except for the Dragonquest sword that you get for beating ridiculously hard sub-bosses) and a "perfect" gambit for boss fights but there are still things that I did not do.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
*uses Phoenix Down on topic*

Alright, so I'm playing this game, and there's a few things that's been bothering me. First of all, there's a huge lack of involvement during battles. I literally set gambits up, walk into a mob, and leave my room to get a drink of soda. I come back, and everything is perfectly fine--my party's alive and well. Clearly, that's a problem.

Honestly, I wouldn't be complaining if the battle system was more like Tales of Symphonia or Star Ocean 3. In those games, it was real-time battles, but you had specific button presses/combinations that translated into real time attacks, dodges, chain attacks--like a fighting game plastered onto the RPG battle system. And it was good. If FF12 had that kind of interaction with the detail of the AI/gambit system, then I would be satisfied. But honestly, gambits seem like trash compared to the battle system in ToS or SO3.

I'm a bit confused about the License system, too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the License system make all characters virtual doppelgangers of each other, and reduce character diversity? Most characters start off in the same area, and your ability selection is severely limited by the availability of the said magicks/techniques in shops. . .resulting in everyone developing the same abilities at the same time. In that respect, I think FFX's Sphere Grid did a much better job in terms of making characters more diverse than the License system.

I'm liking the game because of the story; it's just that the Gambit system is such a strange off-hands approach (compared to ToS or SO3 greatness), and the License system makes everyone the same. . .I may have to abstain from Gambits altogether and go for ultra micromanagement. :dizzy:

courte

Smash Lord
it doesn't appear on the grid--refer online for help

also maelstrom if you can walk away, and come back fine, that just means your playing it right

you can always tweak things to give yourself a bit more of a challenge
set less gambits, play in active mode, and set game and battle speed to max

personally i'm glad to see it not like The tales of or star ocean series
While i like them [Tales really, and ToP WAY more than all of the others] it would diverge so much further

you're really suppose to use the lisencses to craft your own fighter, but of course you can always opt for 6 berserkers lol in the international edition you can choose a liscence board which is used to design a character to a specific class... only you cannot change it once you set it...

Top Bottom