• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Sonic

Slonk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-2289-0078
Hi all,

I've noticed there's a lot of Sonic in "For Glory" these days, and I find I really struggle against him.

He's too fast to hit without excellent timing (a trait I lack), his aerials seem to be just as good as Kirby's, and he seems to have this weird thing where he hits your shield with one of his spinning attacks...and then sort of bypasses the shield and hits you anyway.

Does anyone have any advice for fighting him?

C.O.M.M

Smash Cadet
Inhale is very effective against Sonic's ground game, even if he dash attacks you can still suck him up and spit him out. If he isn't crap then he'll try and jump behind you with his Down Special or use Homing Attack as a punish. He can be punished with smart down special attacks, however don't abuse this. Become unpredictable in what you'll do to keep him guessing.

Final Cutter is good to keep Sonic at a distance.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's aerials aren't as good as Kirby's. Nair is you're friend! That and Final Cutter messes him up, or at least online. Probably not a good idea to use Final Cutter too much in a local setting. I personally think Sonic is one of Kirby's easier matchups.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I randomly decided to start fooling around in for glory as Kirby, so I figured I'd look at these boards to see if there was anything huge I was missing. Saw this thread and as a sonic main, can't help but shed some light on the matchup, as the info given is horrendous.

You don't want to final cutter as a way to box sonic out. He has the ground speed to close in while you're in the air and shield grab you upon landing. Inhale, while useful against random for glory opponents will get you wrecked against capable opponents. Homing attack will come out and land before you can end inhale and shield.

You want to play defensive and look for openings. If they jump out of a spin that you shield, that's a free aerial punish. You want sonic in the air, as that's where you'll have the advantage. Sonic's uair is great, but you'll out range his fair, and his bair has too much landing lag to be used on stage as a spacing tool.

I'm pretty confident that this matchup is in Sonic's favor, but it's not impossible or anything. You have to play smart and opportunistic. A strong footsie game and a defensive aerial game are key in the matchup.

Landing kos as Kirby is the real issue in the matchup, as his options are limited in general and only get worse against a character that specializes in avoiding ko moves.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
This is the kind of info we need. Info from people who main the characters themselves. Thanks! This is good stuff to know.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Coming from the Sonic that beat me on FG a couple weeks ago :p
Basically abuse Shield in this matchup right? I don't think Sonic can grab out of his sideB or downB... unless he can. I always get confused with that character.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Coming from the Sonic that beat me on FG a couple weeks ago :p
Basically abuse Shield in this matchup right? I don't think Sonic can grab out of his sideB or downB... unless he can. I always get confused with that character.
Did I play you on there? Lol. Gotta love for glory mode. Sonic can shield cancel his side b if that's what you're referring to. He can no longer shield cancel aerial down b's. You don't want to hide in your shield, as that's playing into Sonic's hand. His grab range is even better in this game and he has multiple throws that can kill now. Spacing is key. You have to keep Sonic's pressure game off with tilts and aerials. Not sure if crouch will make you avoid Sonic's grab. Obviously useful if it does. You probably can't crouch any of his actual moves though.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Meh I just lost to a sonic in some really close games. I just think he's particularly obnoxious on wifi. If you try to go aggro he can just shield your approaches and punish easily. You have to play a reactionary game against him but you can't react to anything in time with even the tiniest bit of input delay. I'm going to need to test stuff against him because it kept feeling like his Ftilt outranged mine, and his jab beat mine? I know our Fsmash at least beats his (I hope)

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Meh I just lost to a sonic in some really close games. I just think he's particularly obnoxious on wifi. If you try to go aggro he can just shield your approaches and punish easily. You have to play a reactionary game against him but you can't react to anything in time with even the tiniest bit of input delay. I'm going to need to test stuff against him because it kept feeling like his Ftilt outranged mine, and his jab beat mine? I know our Fsmash at least beats his (I hope)
Unless your internet connection isn't good, I don't think wifi is really a proper complaint this time around. Brawl on wifi was a completely different game than offline. It's more likely your inexperience with the timing of his moves. It's a definite adjustment compared to the rest of the cast. As for the move comparison, it's quite possible sonic's ftilt out ranges Kirby's. I'm pretty confident the jabs clash and Kirby's is faster, so he'd win there. You'll probably cringe at this, Sonic's fsmash in brawl was disjointed from his hurt box and that appears to be the case in this game as well. Kirby probably has more range, but head to head, Sonic's fsmash probably beats out Kirby's or clashes. IIRC, beating out a move in Brawl was based off of percent. One move had to do a certain percent more than the other to beat the move and not clash. I haven't bothered looking into that stuff yet in Smash 4.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I live in an apartment now so I guess my connection is hit or miss lol. Usually have no problems but then I played multiple people today with bad lag and it's like, well either all of them have crap internet or there's something wrong on my end :x
Still though, wifi is better than it was in Brawl but some strategies are still definitely stronger on wifi. That's why so many people complain about rolldodging being too strong; they only have wifi to base that off of.

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
I live in an apartment now so I guess my connection is hit or miss lol. Usually have no problems but then I played multiple people today with bad lag and it's like, well either all of them have crap internet or there's something wrong on my end :x
Still though, wifi is better than it was in Brawl but some strategies are still definitely stronger on wifi. That's why so many people complain about rolldodging being too strong; they only have wifi to base that off of.
As a person who always tries to perfect shield and spot dodge every move, I consider even the small lag time in wifi a problem :p
Cant wait for wii u.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Rolling is annoying as **** to deal with as some characters. Input delay makes it worse, but some characters rolls against other characters poor options to deal with it is just annoying. Any games that lag, I just instantly write off as not mattering. If you're playing good players though, they tend to not do things that only work because of input delay. For glory for the most part is a waste of time. I just use it to work on mixup options.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Haha yeah. It's depressing how some of the people on FG are clearly bad, yet we sometimes have close games (that I really only win because they have predictable rolldodge habits that gets me tons of free damage)
Then I play good players that don't rolldodge a lot and it's like crap, what do I do. My free damage is gone.

Top Bottom