• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Rosalina With MegaMan. Help?

Chan_MMssb

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chandler14
So recently I got bopped by a Rosa in tournament. I have very little experience with this matchup, and I don't really know how to approach it. I feel I always have a hard time landing against the upairs and upsmash, and getting back on stage. Luma just destroys me every time.

Advice? Help?

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
So recently I got bopped by a Rosa in tournament. I have very little experience with this matchup, and I don't really know how to approach it. I feel I always have a hard time landing against the upairs and upsmash, and getting back on stage. Luma just destroys me every time.

Advice? Help?

Try researching ways to kill Luma. Down tilt kills knocks Luma away pretty early, up smash can catch Rosa and Luma at the same time. If you kill Luma first Rosa is less of a threat. With Megaman, you can also crash bomb Luma and it'll immediately explode. Also, try to avoid being above Rosa, up smash, up air, and up tilt are dangerous. Regarding edge guarding, down tilt can catch Rosa pretty effectively and hanging on the edge and back airing her recovery on reaction is pretty effective as well.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Try researching ways to kill Luma. Down tilt kills knocks Luma away pretty early, up smash can catch Rosa and Luma at the same time. If you kill Luma first Rosa is less of a threat. With Megaman, you can also crash bomb Luma and it'll immediately explode. Also, try to avoid being above Rosa, up smash, up air, and up tilt are dangerous. Regarding edge guarding, down tilt can catch Rosa pretty effectively and hanging on the edge and back airing her recovery on reaction is pretty effective as well.
This so much. You don't have to overthink how to kill Luma. Just rack up % and get rid of it.
When Rosa dashes in, you can shoot twice and move to halt her, if she commits to Grav. Pull when you are close to her, you can just USmash her and Luma away then chain Fairs or (kill one of) them with a Nair / Bair.

Seriously, Luma is a real pain, but even Leaf Shield can stop it. You shouldn't ever get frustrated : just get rid of Luma while playing safe and you should be fine. Actually, blank-point Nair is somewhat safe on shield, so feel free to try it once in a while.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I don't know if this is practical or not, but I often play the waiting game when fighting Rosalina. I wait for the Luma to be at the right spot before I take it out with Slash Claw or kill it by damaging it enough. When dealing with Rosalina herself, at least with the ones I normally fight, they often dash attack, which allows me to get a good grab in. Remember that Rosalina can use her Gravitational Pull (give that some ****ing end lag for **** sake) to absorb Air Shooter, so keep that in mind.
I usually like to bait Rosalina's into losing Luma, and that allows me to study on what they do. Usually my kills end up being an U-Tilt with Rosalina. So satisfying. :p

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Friendly reminder that Gravitational Pull at point blank does not work.

As Zucco says on the video, sure, you wont be using projectiles close to her, but for uair juggles, that works.

Yeah_ok

Smash Rookie
I personally feel like Luna's presence is a double edged sword in this matchup.

If Luma is too close to Rosalina while you are zoning crash bombs will force her to shield or play more defensive.

If she and Luma are separated add MB's, and crash bombs to increase the chaos on screen. She will have to process whether or not you will focus on her or attack luma. I feel like MB's would be a great tool to throw one way (preferably at Luma) and lemons in the other direction.

I'm just curious what MM can do to shut down her approaches. Her aerials and dash attacks seem to be really effective at getting in since luma is a great human shield

HIMA14

Smash Rookie
NNID
HIMA14BITS
First you need to kill Luma,jump doing short hop to approach or get away and at the same time Nair to attack Luma and if you are a bit far you can throw Metal Blades or Crash Bombers,Crash Bombers explode inmedeatly by touching Luma and that maybe harm a bit Rosetta,when you defeat Luma Rossie is not a danger,Rosetta's Uair is really annoying so a great way to escape from that deadly combo is Megaman's recovery(Rush Coil).

PD:Only use FSmash(Mega Buster) for Ledge Guarding when fighting Rosalina and Luma.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
When she goes for up air, air dodge then up air her, o find that works well.

Also I usually play a very patient game and I spam projectiles, even if she gravs them she will mess up and start eating damage at some point.

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Murder Luma. Take them to battle field, spam crash bomb, and infinite air shooter combo Luma if you ever get them above you.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
If the crash bomber auto detonates, you'll want to follow up with an aerial like back air for example. Its completely possible to approach after this move. Up smash to bair when possible, or d-tilt to kill Luma. Dash attack could also kill luma after 12-14 damage in.

The match up is pretty simple. Just come with a whole new mindset. Whenever she dodges (on-spot, roll, getup, or air dodge) for instance or has intangibility, Luma is always active. (protip)

Greward

Smash Lord
I usually spam up air, look for grab, juggle a ****ing lot since she's big and floaty.
Falling up air is safe on shield against rosalina because she's super tall. Up air kills her fast too because of how light/floaty she is. Long live our up air.
Use dtilt a lot against her recovery, it really messes her up. Use back air to kill Luma, dtilt also can work for that. Leaf Shield can work for approaching because it will hit Luma.

I recommend you to check videos to get matchup knowledge too.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I've found hitting her with nair sweet spot can be a good mix up too. Since she is tall if you hit the first lemon on her while you are falling and the second lemon on her while you are jumping it stops her from shield grabbing you usually.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Definitely look at NinjaLink's videos versus Rosalina, since he knows the match up well, and has experience as well as videos against her always winning it seems. I've never seen him lost to one to be frank.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Dabuz says it's even. Gravitational pull isn't that much of a factor if you stay spaced in a manner that she will be punished for using it. Luma detonates Crash Bombers. You're going to have push juggles as hard as possible and play patient.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Keep a mental timer on lumas respawn and try to have her in disadvantage when she is due for a new luma. Nothing hurts morale/ builds momentum like killing a totally new luma.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Some Rosies will have Luma hover above you while rapid jabbing as you're hanging from the ledge. If you drop down and use an air shooter at this point, Luma will tumble down the pit and die, which I believe is guaranteed. Good trick in a pinch.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
I've done alot of research on this matchup, so I'll say a few things. If they've been said already, I'm just expanding further on them I guess.

At close range (Luma included), we lose to her badly. Luma functions as both a meat shield and has fantastic priority. However, Rosa's Usmash, Fsmash, dash attack, and side b are all punishable on shield, and if you grab her it lifts her into the air so Luma can't really hit you, so there's that.

At close range (no Luma), we generally win. We can play like we always do, running and gunning. Rosalina still has decent frame data, but suffers from lack of range. I like to rush her down as soon as Luma's gone, doing as much as I can in the 13 second period. Some good things to note:
-Dsmash and multi jab become unsafe on shield
-Her side b loses it's projectiles
-Down b can be baited out and punished hard from how unsafe it is.

At mid range (Luma included), we're tied. Rosalina would have to either sit and block our hits, let Luma take the hits, or absorb the hits with down b. Whatever she does, it's in our favor. And of course, without Luma it's even better for us. However, there are some things to note:
-She can outright steal Metal Blade with down b. It can limit her options with it in her hand, but she can also keep it for herself.
-Luma can absorb pellets, Fsmash, and Crash Bomb
-Crash Bomb explodes on contact, forcing Rosalina to either down b them or approach.
-Luma has 50 HP and can act always, except when he's in tumble.

For recovery, we must respect her anti air (Usmash and the dreaded Uairs) and her offensive air to air. Personally, I start off going low to snap the ledge and mix it up with high once she tries to start intercepting my up b with dair. Don't try to muscle your way on stage, because she can punish landings VERY well. Vice versa, she has a hard time landing on top of us (Uair, upwards Metal Blade, Usmash). As far as getting up from the ledge, I recommend neutral getup into shield. She doesn't have kill throw, so you don't have to worry about her grab too much. In the end though, sadly, it can be very tough getting back on stage against her, so take your time and stay safe.

For edgeguarding, Dair and Leaf Shield can give her a hard time because it can force out an air dodge or a Down B to absorb the projectile. Her Up b is also super punishable, having no hitbox whatsover.

Kill moves:
-Bair (90% - 100% at the ledge)
-Back throw (140% at the ledge)
-Dair (at least 70% for the meteor effect)
-Dtilt (170%)
-Fair (160% at the ledge)
-Usmash (110% uncharged)
-Utilt (70 - 80% sweet spot; 140 - 150% sour)
-Fsmash (70% fully charged; 110% at the ledge uncharged)

To sum it all up:
-Keep her at a distance and work on getting rid of Luma with your projectiles. Once he's gone, go get her.
-Respect her while Luma is present. Engage sparingly.
-DO NOT linger over her head. Her anti air is very deadly!
-Bait out her punishable moves at kill percent.
-Ban BF, Lylat, Halberd, Delfino. Take her to FD and Omegas or Duck Hunt.

Hope this helps!

Megamang

Smash Lord
Small correction, luma no longer has 50 hp, i believe it is 41 hp now

Top Bottom