• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting AGAINST Mario

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Hey Mario mains!

I'm a PR player from NorCal, and I've recently run into some problems dealing with Mario since I started working on some new characters.

As my main, Megaman, I had to focus more on keeping him out rather than punishing or spacing him without projectiles...

Since I am taking a break from my main, I've had an extremely difficult time punishing and dealing with Mario in general.

His aerials have little to no lag. His throw combos are off the hook. His kill options are fast and safe in last hit scenarios. His approaches are tough to deal with, and his ledge trap game is scary.

Please tell me, what should I be doing to deal with him! How do I punish a back air that lands close behind me? What's an effective way to ledge guard him? Does he struggle with getting camped? Does he struggle with getting rushed down? I am at a loss!

Thanks for your time and help!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's primary weaknesses in general are the following:
*bad forward facing options
*Predictable recovery, BUT you have to know what trades with his Up-B before edgeguarding.
*Mostly can only airdodge or B reverse Fireball when you are below him
*Has no air kill moves or good low edgeguards, and thus cannot kill you for recovering low, ledge resetting, or platform camping

So anyhow, WATCH WHICH WAY HE'S FACING and space carefully.

If he's facing forward in the air, his only options are fireball, N-air, and airdodge. Factor that and go in on him, make sure you know which aerials you have will snuff his fireballs and aerial approach at the same time. On the ground, he can only DA, Dashgrab, or roll. Neither of these are strong against most spacing tools.

Mario's B-air requires a bit more respect so knowing which anti-airs you have that either beat it or trade favorably is important. And once you hit Mario, REMEMBER HE IS FACING FORWARDS. Don't let him land for free.

If you don't want him to kill you, just go for the ledge or stay on a platform. And avoid getting grabbed facing backwards near the ledge. Mario should not be ending your stock early as long as you never make certain mistakes. Obviously there's no reason to airdodge after his D-throw at KO percents given his aerials won't kill you, for instance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom