• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Against A Campy Link

TheAllStarrBand

Smash Rookie
Hey, this is my first time posting here so sorry if I'm not doing this correctly. I'm playing against a Link main I know a lot that tends to side-shield across the stage and spam projectiles for the majority of the match. As a Marth main, how do I combat this? I know some pro techniques like dash dancing, wavedashing, short hopping etc but nothing crazy.

Thanks.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Because link is a fast faller he is easier to combo than young link. Just try to air dodge, spot dodge ad power shield the bombs or ftilt them so they explode before contact. If anything try to take advantage of marths wave dash to grab link and try to throw him off stage. Unless your opponent is really good using the bombs to recover you should be able to spike him and dtilt him when he tries tk recover

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Link and yl both have the same fall speed and gravity so that's not a thing @ trusty trusty

Also what's a side shield?

TheAllStarrBand

Smash Rookie
Because link is a fast faller he is easier to combo than young link. Just try to air dodge, spot dodge ad power shield the bombs or ftilt them so they explode before contact. If anything try to take advantage of marths wave dash to grab link and try to throw him off stage. Unless your opponent is really good using the bombs to recover you should be able to spike him and dtilt him when he tries tk recover
Thanks for the help, I''ll definitely try these out next time I face him.

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
Force them onto a platform and try to bait out a boomerang or an attack. You can attack link easily and juggle him or push him off stage. Edgeguard in a way so that he feels safest when he does a jump from the ledge onto the platform and then just repeat. Work when me a lot when facing young link and it should be easier against link.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Either don't give them space to camp, or stay out of the range where their options are particularly threatening until you find an opening. If they don't have a bomb, their options to cover boomerang are higher commitment and more vulnerable to dash dance, jump, cc, and/or shield. Expect them to want to pull a bomb relatively soon. If they do have a bomb, scare them into shield, and treat their up-b OoS like Fox's up smash OoS. They have no grab, so run up shield is also alright, and if you grab and they try to throw bombs, you can get a grab break, which could end disastrously for Link. If you're not in range to scare them into shield, try to avoid arcs where bombs can even be thrown by link, going under being vastly preferable to over, and somewhat to horizontal spacing.

Walk forward, shield (and act out quickly) or dash as necessary can deal with a lot, though a link that's always retreating can be harder to directly punish this way. Once you get him cornered, take advantage of his more limited options. He hates being above you, watch for an attempt to come back in first.

And yes, ftilt lets you swat his projectiles and not take damage.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Also relevant: light shield item drop is 1 frame. On the ground: Link's side/neutral bomb throws are frame 7 (and on that frame you can consider them to have comparable range to Marth's grab), down throw is frame 6 (should not hit the ground that frame), uthrow is frame 10, and dash throw is frame 8. All aerial throws are frame 6. Grab is frame 12 (11 out of dash). Any non-aerial/dash option you see here can be done immediately out of shield provided he has a bomb for item throws, or doesn't for the grab. In both scenarios, he has up-b (frame 8, 9 OoS).

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
I'm stupid link is an easier match up than young link though, but maybe that's because of yl's size
Pretty sure Link is considered to be a much worse matchup than YLink (though still with Marth advantage). YLink really lacks the range and kill power of link. He also really doesn't have as strong of a combo game in the MU. Though YLink is ranked higher as a whole, Link is usually considered to have the edge in this MU (though again, he still loses it).

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
When you shield a boomerang, you can WD out of shield to punish. Always sweet spot if you don't want the spin attack spike edgeguard. Don't try to space a fair on shield because his chain lets him still shield-grab you. Crossup Nair on shield and if he goes for an Up B OOS, shield it and get the free punish. Don't worry about using his bombs against him. Just shield them and then Wavedash OOS. Dash dance right in the range where he can't commit to a projectile without getting ****ed up. Don't jump against him. He can't approach you and he can't jump over you, so you can back him into the corner of the stage with dash dancing and force him to commit to something.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Fair boomerangs, catch his bombs, jump over them, wL, whatever it takes to get inside. If you have to shield wd oos or jump out and wL on a plat. If you get hit with a boomerang, or especially a bomb, DI it away. Once you're inside grab, combo him with fairs and uairs, pressure him with dtilt, ftilt, fsmash, etc. Use platforms wisely to continue combos but try to get him offstage ASAP (stuff like fair to fsmash at mid% is good for this). You can counter his up-b, invincible ledgehop dair (dtilt sets this up), fsmash, whatever the situation calls for.

Also remember reverse-b for punishes when you don't have time to space tipper fsmash.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Be careful for his ftilt (outspaces a number of Marth's attacks), and don't stop moving or just kinda throw up a shield. If you're in shield for... well, not very long at all... you're rising getting grabbed, which is a bigger threat than you think.

Top Bottom