• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting a good Pit with D3

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
So my friend and I have been playing this game like fiends ever since it came out for us on Sunday. I main Dedede and he mains Pit. We're not quite pro level, but we're pretty close :) and we've both been playing since SSB64. Anyway, I'm just here to give advice and to ask for any more advice for fighting a good Pit as the King.

First and foremost, arrow spam > Waddle spam. My friend has become incredibly accurate with Pit's bow and I've found it to be the greatest challenge in fighting him. He can shoot a lot faster than you can throw Waddle Dee's to get in the way, and the Waddle Dees' hitbox is too short to actually block an arrow once they start moving. I've found 3 ways to counter his arrow spam.

The first is to fly to him and just close the range as fast as possible; this worked great until he got unbelievably good at curving his arrows to hit me no matter where I was. Flying to him still works on occassion but he'll probably rack up a lot of damage on you.

The next way to counter the arrows is to throw a Gordo. Obviously, this is pure luck, but if you do throw one it will go right through his arrow (Waddle's bounce off the arrows) and catch him off-guard. Unfortunately, if his arrow hits you around the same time your throw animation starts you will just drop the Gordo harmlessly on the ground.

The third and most effective way is with D3's forward tilt. It is a little faster than the arrows and will cancel them out. If you're close enough to him you'll get some damage in and punish him for just arrow spamming. Note: The forward tilt stops working as a counter after you pass 100% damage; you recover to slow and the arrows will hit you before you can attack.

Shielding/rolling/sidestepping kinda works but then you're pretty much stuck on the defensive and eventually you'll get hit.

That pretty much covers arrow spam. The next big problem fighting him is trying to land a finisher on him. The combination of Pit's down-b (shield) and his amazing recovery makes him stupidly hard to finish. You're options are pretty much land some good aerial hits on him (hard), get a lucky smash attack (very hard), gordo him (luck), or throw him (not quite as hard).

Firstly; aerials. Pit is probably the hardest character to land an aerial attack on. He can fly higher, farther, and faster than you, and he has a shield that will block virtually anything you throw at him (which he can use in the air by the way). Your best bet for an aerial kill is to hope to catch him while he's falling after his up-b. Really this just takes a lot of timing practice and learning your opponent's patterns so you know when you can hit him. However, this is one instance where I've found King Dedede's up-b can actually land a kill. If pit is flying very high and you can land on him with the super D3 jump it will be a kill unless he dodges/shields. This is extremely tough to do and I wouldn't recommend using it often. Use it once every few matches just so your opponent won't be expecting it because it's very easy to dodge if he expects it. Edit: After further testing I don't think the up-b can kill like this. I only saw it happen once, but it must have been something else, since the super DDD jump has a downward spike and not an upward one.

Lucky smash attacks and Gordos are just that; luck. Not much else to discuss here, but Pit is a lightweight so they will send him flying.

Throws are probably your best option. Everyone already knows D3's down throw/chaingrab is great for building up damage. It's his fthrow and bthrow that are good for a kill though. The problem here is that unless Pit's damage is very, very high, the throw alone won't kill him. You will have to chase him with aerials, which as discussed earlier are very hard to land on him.

That's pretty much it. The way I wrote that I know it sounds like Pit is really tough for D3 to beat, but it's not that bad. Pit is definitely one of D3's tougher matchups, but I win most of the games against my friend (it's pretty close though, probably 60/40) so it's certainly not impossible.

Anyway, here's some random tips for playing against Pit:

Pit's forward-b:
How to counter: grab (longer range than the twirling swords), or go around him.
How not to counter: throw a Waddle, Waddle's will just bounce off and if you throw a Gordo it will reflect and hit you. Inhale, you are sucking up twirling swords and they are going to hurt.

Pit's down-b:
How to counter: grab or Inhale.
How not to counter: Pretty much anything else. Attacking it will turn you around like Mario's cape. Throwing a Gordo at it will deflect and hit you (haven't confirmed this, but it deflects everything else so I'm assuming it deflects Gordo's just like his forward-b does).

If anyone has anything else to add, please do; I'm always open to new advice. If someone wants to call me out for being a smash noob or something, please do - but be sure to say why and perhaps post some better strategies ;)

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
I'm in a tourney on my home forum and hope to use these tactics against the reigning champ, a Pit user. I'll be testing these out when I get home.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Good tips, I'll be sure to apply them.

About the arrow spam, try short hopping and throwing your underlings at him as you advance. They'll get in the way, and if your aim is good he'll get hit, and that will give you an easier time at advancing on him.

Sometimes, you have to be REALLY careful, but sometimes you can use an Fsmash on Pit's Forward B. Ftilts are a much safer bet though.

MeestaWombat

Smash Rookie
thank you for this excellent post. i think pit is a hard match up for d3 and other slow characters (like ike). i'm sure your findings work universally and not just with d3 (minus gordo of course).

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I don't have much of an idea on how to approach Pit, but I think you should make it a priority to attack from below. The only thing he could do is his Dair, but that's slow, so you could up tilt/air him and do whatever else.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys :). To be quite honest, after lurking here for as long as I have and only joining in 2007 I thought I would probably get a lot of "lol noob" flame. It's nice to see positive posts though and it feels good knowing this might help some of you :D.

Anyway, we're going to be recording some of our matches this week so I should be able to post some here by the end of the week.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
I had the same issues with my friend who is a decent pit user, I basically close the gap in, using the forward A trick which ends up being useless if they catch on early. Then if your average pit is a cstick *****, just remember to shield grab, it is very useful on him. However In the end, i just counter pick his pit now with my alt wolf, so i can freaking deflect the arrow spam, then punish his *** due to wolfs major distance for his smashes.

Top Bottom