• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"FG Hell" was my greatest experience of online smash 4 to date.

LazyFrogRobot MKII

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheLaziestFroggy
There's another thread here discussing about being banished to the quintessential shadow realm of online smash 4, but the point of this thread is to illustrate a much more specific point I'd like to share with you all. If you want a tl;dr, here it is: all of the competent players and competent players who happen to be huge buttholes are sent there, and smash is much more enjoyable as a result of it. Now, if you're genuinely interested as to how masochstic one'd have to be to find such a "toxic" environment enjoyable, read on.

That being said, allow me to describe what "For Glory hell" is, and how to get there. When it happened to me, I was on the Wii U, so keep that in mind, you inhibiting 3DS trash. Some of you may have already been there, so PLEASE share your experience. I want to know I'm not the only one.

When online in sm4sh, there is an unmentioned set of rules that are employed, as well as a report system for players to punish others for things like harassment. Because there is no third party involved, and it is entirely within the hands of the "reporter" to submit false claims of harassment, it can be and IS abused. If someone's exuberantly salty that you styled on them online, changing their name and talking all this good ish, they can report/block you so that they never see you again. As for the rules themselves, they include idling for more than 30 seconds, excessive SDs, and focusing one target in FFAs. Accumulation of all of these infractions and reports will send you to a separate set of servers to only play with people who have also accumulated them, sometimes temporarily and sometimes permanently(depending on repeated instances of being sent there). The rules previously enforced on the main servers are no longer enforced here.

And thus, you have "For Glory hell," a vacant wasteland that will repeatedly match you with the same few people, some of whom play very annoyingly, play very well, talk loads of trash and have offensive miis, or a combination of all three. Some of you might be familiar of this, because clearly, this system is flawed and leads to a lot of erroneous punishments on people who're just good at the game, or don't want to play laggy matches and SD.

"But Lazy," you might ask whilst shortening my name for convenience. "If that's the sort of people that are there, doesn't it sound like the report system is WORKING?" Yes and no, because as I've said before, there are people here who weren't even aware they were sent there, and currently discuss how to bypass this unfair judgement. If you SD repeatedly because you consistenly find one bar connections on the main servers, if you see someone who's vulnerable in a FFA, or if someone just outright dislikes you, you can and WILL be sent here, and that false accuser will go unpunished. Sure, there's toxic people there, but there's also people there who are much better at the game.

I won't lie, either. I taunt, I talk trash back, and I love it when people get salty. If I style on someone by getting a taunt kill, a very flashy combo, rest assured in knowing that I will mash that down arrow like there's a QTE zombie struggle happening on screen. I love it when people get salty and SD, or when they talk crap, taunt, get bodied, and leave. It makes my blood boil with adrenaline, and call me sadistic if you like, but I love triumphing over petty foes who aren't good sports, and rubbing their faces in the dirt. All of these things are more common on the main servers, so maybe I was reported and deserve it. Conversely, I'm able to take a loss and shrug it off when someone acts stupid, because I admit I have a long way to go. But even despite that...

I had very few laggy matches compared to the main servers, because everyone here either had much better internet to perform well, or we were able to freely SD without penalty if it was bad. My internet isn't the greatest, so I bought an ethernet adapter a long time ago, and would still lag profusely on the main servers with opponents from the same state. Here, I'd fight people in Cali with very minimal input delay. Because the opponents were skilled, I found some interesting setups and went toe to toe with players in intense matches. I FOUND people who were capable of being very good sports and offering genuine challenge, despite the occasional butthead. Never before had I seen such clever option coverage online, never before had I genuinely meant or received a GG online, never before have I had such fun, never before had I changed my name to say "THAT SETUP. WOW," ...until I was punished for playing online. From this experience, I can conclude 2 things:

1) I have no friends. Not even people to play sm4sh with a loser like me.
2) Sm4sh does NOT want you get good at the game.

It really doesn't. Smash itself was always made to cater to the lowest common denominator, because logistically, that is what'd garner the most sales. You know Little Timmy who plummeted down a well headfirst, can only play Dedede, and gets a 78% winrate by rolling his face across his controller and rolling on occasion? That's who Sakurai wants to cater to, and it manifests in flowchart, campy boring online gameplay, because sm4sh is mechanically made to force defensive play and mindlessly throwing out stupid/unpunishable hitboxes. But that's a story for another time.

I was able to enjoy smash 4 because of this, and when the penalty wore off, it was back to campy Links. Back to C-Stick flicking Marios and Macs. Back to side B mashing DDDs. Because we're supposed to grit our teeth and accept that there is NO divide between players' skill levels, despite varying connections, despite experience and comprehension, despite the fact that there's people here who genuinely seek a PROPER ranking system to filter walloping kids, finding more experienced players, or even fighting people who are at their own level.

Well, you know what? If that's the puritan way to play sm4sh by the word of Kami-Sakurai, I'd rather burn in hell again.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Although you may have had an enjoyable time, not everyone is fond of being banned. I know its frustrating for some people not being able to play some of the other modes like Team Battle and For Fun.

I just want to mention to everyone a few things that I tried to escape FG Hell/Banland.

- Switching to another User or NNID WILL NOT unban you. I'm not sure if deleting the banned user will unban you, as deleting an NNID will remove your EShop Credit, so I was not able to test this method.
- Deleting and restarting your Smash save file back to its original state also WILL NOT unban you.
- FG Hell/Banland is ONLY on Smash. If you are banned in Smash, you can still play with regular people on Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon online for example.

The conclusion I have made is that the ban is handled by the Nintendo server itself, and it is tied to your Wii U or 3ds. Unfortunately, if you get sent to banland, anyone else who tries to play Smash online on your device will also be banned.

Last edited:

LazyFrogRobot MKII

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheLaziestFroggy
Although you may have had an enjoyable time, not everyone is fond of being banned. I know its frustrating for some people not being able to play some of the other modes like Team Battle and For Fun.

I just want to mention to everyone a few things that I tried to escape FG Hell/Banland.

- Switching to another User or NNID WILL NOT unban you. I'm not sure if deleting the banned user will unban you, as deleting an NNID will remove your EShop Credit, so I was not able to test this method.
- Deleting and restarting your Smash save file back to its original state also WILL NOT unban you.
- FG Hell/Banland is ONLY on Smash. If you are banned in Smash, you can still play with regular people on Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon online for example.

The conclusion I have made is that the ban is handled by the Nintendo server itself, and it is tied to your Wii U or 3ds. Unfortunately, if you get sent to banland, anyone else who tries to play Smash online on your device will also be banned.
Oh, but of course! Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying it'll appeal to everyone, or that it should. It's just interesting to me how flawed this online system is, in that people are erroneously punished and all of the high level players are filtered because of it. It STILL sucks for the people that don't want to be sent are sent anyways. Have you tried calling Nintendo about it?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've never been to Ban Land before, and personally I intend to keep it that way.

Mainly because I do a lot of For Glory 2V2 matches with my friend who is over frequently, and that I've also heard once you've been banned it'll become much easier for you to get sent back. Top that off with the Mega Lagsters that have been banned cause of Lag and the immense salt there it just doesn't sound quite as fun to me. It wouldn't be the first time I heard someone say they actually enjoyed Ban Land though. It seems to get a variety of mixed feelings, from people saying it's an absolute heaven to folks that hate it.

That being said I do my best not to step on any toes, but if someone attempts to be a disrespectful brat I won't hesitate to show them their place. I have gotten a few "REPORTED" Tags flashed at me before simply because I won as well, or simply because I lost. Yes, it seems like even players will report you because you lost to them, which I believe is the lowest For Glorians can really go.

Whether they reported me or not is a mystery, but seems how I haven't been in Ban Land yet I'm guessing they were just for show.

That being said it's no mystery that the Report Function can be abused to falsely ban people, which honestly sucks. To be banned simply because you shown someone up is extremely unnecessary, and if you get that salty from getting beat then you seriously need to rethink your life. I can understand Gamer Rage, but come on now. If you don't want to hurt your fragile ego then don't play Online.

There's always going to be people better than you.

Other than that, I do agree with the Ranking System bit. I do believe if that were implemented it'd make a lot of people happy. It wouldn't stop the reporting issue, but at least we'd find Players that are around our skill levels or better. If another Smash game is ever made (or if the rumors about Smash U getting an import to the NX is true, which I doubt) I really hope the include a Ranking System next time.

P.S.: Has anyone ever did videos/recordings of what it's like to be in Ban Land? I only read about it, yet I never really see videos going around to show people what it's like. Not gonna lie, it'd be interesting to see videos of the various interactions and matches that go on.

Last edited:

Pommgreen

Smash Rookie
The topic creator is a not trustworthy person. Just from his speech patterns and musings in his long winded diatribe about his experiences in the reported section of FG, it is clear that he is an individual that deserves to belong there. I play online a lot and I can say with an extremely high degree of confidence that there is hardly such a thing as a good player. An okay or slightly above average player maybe and even then it is incredibly rare for me to ever come across that. Almost everyone that plays online is a connection manipulator of some sort, they basically employ online lag as a crutch to cover for their gameplay defciencies, which is what the topic creator probably does. I have seen very few people online that look like they had some idea of the what the hell they were actually doing and at no point had to rely on intentionally sabotoging the connection to some degree in order to give of the false impression of them playing well and prevent me from playing well. FG Hell is really just the place where the worst of the online criminals end up, its basically just an unmanned high level security prison where it seems like you will never really get out except waiting for you time to come for release. Most of the players who aren't' in FG Hell are criminals too, they just keep the connection manipulation on the downlow in an attempt to prevent themselves from being reported too much too soon and wind up there again.

And yes I know its online, there is always the posssibility of lag. But playing online I have come to understand well the difference between legitimate lag and illegitimate lag. From my experience even legitamately laggy connections are extremely rare, even more so than legitimately lagless connections. Many players online actually do have very good connections, and I often see evidence of it very early on in the match, but people's insecurities, egos, emotions, and paranoia get in the in the way and lead them into doing bad things just so they can attempt to save face. I have 75 percent win rate on the wii u version with close to 5000 battles and a 73 percent win rate on the 3ds version with close to 9000 battles. I have no idea on how to intentionally lag or tamper with the connection the way almost every else does and even if I came to know how its done I would never even think to do it. It's just not the way I do things. I always strive to honest when competing even if I know the other player isn't being likewise with me. And even if someone is cheating you can still go toe to toe with them and win and not have to resort to cheating yourself. I am proof of that. You will have to play very differently from what you are used to, and you may even to find opportunities to use their lag switching against them but it CAN be done. It's always just better to do the right thing. No secrets to hide, no lies to cover up, nothing to feel guilty about.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
The topic creator is a not trustworthy person. Just from his speech patterns and musings in his long winded diatribe about his experiences in the reported section of FG, it is clear that he is an individual that deserves to belong there.
actually, I ran into the OP a few days ago on FG (judging from the NNID) and he was very nice. I'm also in banland and we had some matches, exchanged gg's and stuff. I don't recall there being any lag.

Anyway I wouldn't read too much into the lag-switching conspiracy theories. From what I've seen online, the Report Button isn't used to punish cheaters as much as it's used for salty players to get revenge. I won't say i enjoy being banned (especially since it's impossible to get enough people for team battles) but it's basically just an emptier FG

HYP3R

Smash Lord
I was more wanting to see actual matches taking place in For Glory Hell, rather than someone just backing out of the lobby constantly.
It's showing they find the same opponents over and over in For Glory banland

Last edited:

LazyFrogRobot MKII

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheLaziestFroggy
The topic creator is a not trustworthy person. Just from his speech patterns and musings in his long winded diatribe about his experiences in the reported section of FG, it is clear that he is an individual that deserves to belong there. I play online a lot and I can say with an extremely high degree of confidence that there is hardly such a thing as a good player. An okay or slightly above average player maybe and even then it is incredibly rare for me to ever come across that. Almost everyone that plays online is a connection manipulator of some sort, they basically employ online lag as a crutch to cover for their gameplay defciencies, which is what the topic creator probably does. I have seen very few people online that look like they had some idea of the what the hell they were actually doing and at no point had to rely on intentionally sabotoging the connection to some degree in order to give of the false impression of them playing well and prevent me from playing well. FG Hell is really just the place where the worst of the online criminals end up, its basically just an unmanned high level security prison where it seems like you will never really get out except waiting for you time to come for release. Most of the players who aren't' in FG Hell are criminals too, they just keep the connection manipulation on the downlow in an attempt to prevent themselves from being reported too much too soon and wind up there again.

And yes I know its online, there is always the posssibility of lag. But playing online I have come to understand well the difference between legitimate lag and illegitimate lag. From my experience even legitamately laggy connections are extremely rare, even more so than legitimately lagless connections. Many players online actually do have very good connections, and I often see evidence of it very early on in the match, but people's insecurities, egos, emotions, and paranoia get in the in the way and lead them into doing bad things just so they can attempt to save face. I have 75 percent win rate on the wii u version with close to 5000 battles and a 73 percent win rate on the 3ds version with close to 9000 battles. I have no idea on how to intentionally lag or tamper with the connection the way almost every else does and even if I came to know how its done I would never even think to do it. It's just not the way I do things. I always strive to honest when competing even if I know the other player isn't being likewise with me. And even if someone is cheating you can still go toe to toe with them and win and not have to resort to cheating yourself. I am proof of that. You will have to play very differently from what you are used to, and you may even to find opportunities to use their lag switching against them but it CAN be done. It's always just better to do the right thing. No secrets to hide, no lies to cover up, nothing to feel guilty about.
I'm going to ignore the fact that you're judging my character based on the way that I speak, whilst also accusing me of diatribe, and pray for you to grow a much thicker hide.

actually, I ran into the OP a few days ago on FG (judging from the NNID) and he was very nice. I'm also in banland and we had some matches, exchanged gg's and stuff. I don't recall there being any lag.

Anyway I wouldn't read too much into the lag-switching conspiracy theories. From what I've seen online, the Report Button isn't used to punish cheaters as much as it's used for salty players to get revenge. I won't say i enjoy being banned (especially since it's impossible to get enough people for team battles) but it's basically just an emptier FG
Are you the WFT with the Lenny mii that beat my ass?

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Interesting. Didn't know this existed

crustacean

Smash Rookie
Its cool that you found some use out of For Glory Hell, but as far as I can see with 2v2 you will never get enough people to start a match (I left the game on for four hours once). I might as well have bought a $60+ paperweight that I can only end up playing for a week and a half, two weeks at the most before im back in salt hell and my nice $60+ game that is the only WiiU game with online that I enjoy for multiple hours at a time turns into a brick for another week. Every time I end up in the Salty Relm I just have to accept that there isn't a reason to play my WiiU for another week, it really sucks honestly.

KetchupKaffei

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been in FG Hell for a bit, but I'm one of those that dislike the existence of it.

Even though I'm out of Satan's grasp, I still want to find a exploit/ways to manipulate the system itself.
Since I already modded my Wii U for various mods for Sm4sh, I think finding a way to bypass this will be another step closer.
I'm not sure if the game is going by Network IP, or by Console ID, and possibly maybe even game ID(doubt this one).
I already know it's not account ID because I made another account the first time I ran into this and didn't help at all.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for something to resolve this annoying problem.

Last edited:

JoelTheSmasher

Smash Rookie
What makes me mad is that for glory, doesn't come to skill, It comes to who throws out a landing kill move first.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Interesting story. Never been to "banland" myself before and I intend to keep it that way, which shouldn't be a problem since I don't waste my time playing For Glory everyday.

Top Bottom