• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FFC Omaha - SSBM Event Dec 17-19

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
Family Fun Center in Omaha, NE will be hosting a Super Smash Bros. Melee two-day event on Oct 22nd and 23rd. We will be having a Singles tournament (Fri 22nd) and a Team Tournament (Sat 23rd). We are planning to have two consoles running for each tournament on 50" TVs.

Rules:
RULES: (for both tournaments)
-NORMAL PLAY: The following stages have been banned: Venom, Yoshi's Island, Kongo Jungle, Mushroom Kingdom NES I & II, Hyrule Temple, Jungle Japes, Green Greens, Onett, Icicle Mt., Brinstar Depths, Poke Floats, Big Blue, Kongo Jungle 64, and Flatzone.

Matches will be best 2/3 with a 6Min time limit and each player will have 3 stock of lives.

Items will be set to LOW with All Health items, stars, mushrooms, bob-ombs, mines, party balls, and cloaking devices turned off.

-FINALS: Play will take place ONLY on Final Destination in Best 3/5 rounds with no time limit and NO ITEMS.

PRIZES (for both tournaments)

1st Place - 60% of cash pot + $30 in tokens

2nd Place - 25% of cash pot + $20 in tokens

3rd Place - 15% of cash pot + $10 in tokens

Please help us out by pre-registering at http://www.familyfuncenter.net/tournaments so that we have an idea of how many people are coming to this event.

Hope to see you all there!

ssbm_kings

Smash Journeyman
hey broken link. can you guys fix that? I want to see how much people are going. If you guys get a pot big enough, i'll probably come.

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
The link does work, our server has been a little unstable as of late though. Try again and hopefully it'll work.

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
Entrance fee is $7 for Singles and $14 for a Team. Of that, $5 and $12 will go into the cash pot respectively. Also, try just going to http://www.familyfuncenter.net and see if you can get in there.

ssbm_kings: Items are because they are still part of the game, we've just removed any that would likely cause a cheap death. Same thing with the stage selections, we tried to stay away from stages where you can't see the dropoff point.

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
We realize that we aren't going to please everyone with our tournaments, not many people can. We feel that Items are part of the game and for us to have just a few is not a huge problem. First and foremost, we are an arcade so for us to even have this kind of a tournament is something to take into consideration. If we find that everyone wants to play without items, then we'll make it so at our next tournament. Tournaments are supposed to be fun, with or without money, not a headache. I also believe that because we do have items set to off in the finals, we will end up seeing the best items-on player and the best overall player.

dmac

Smash Champion
website is still down... and having singles on a friday is gonna turn off a lot of out of staters.... even more than having items on :p

Big Burn

Smash Lord
il probably go. but that link doesnt work for me either. by the way if u do ever have another tournament i highly suggest no items, there just gay. but i can live with it for this tournament

Dragon7507

Smash Ace
Finally a tourney in Omaha. This is going to rock. I will for sure be there, and possibly bring at least one other person. But this will be sweet, I am always looking for people to smash with in omaha. But i cant wait.
Aaron

Tacoom

Smash Lord
Im in Sioux city and would love to come down for this. But dmac is right, having singles on Friday could really hurt us out of towners chances to come. But I should be there anyway. Im just saying for the others.

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
We will keep Friday nights as well as Items in mind next time we do this.

Anyone still having problems accessing the webpage? We contacted our server about the problems, so please let me know if you still can't get through.

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
UPDATE: We've decided to simplify our tournament a bit and have narrowed down the playable stages to 10 that consist of: Fountain of Dreams, Peach's Castle, Corneria, Brinstar, Pokemon Stadium, Mute City, Kirby's Dreamland, Yoshi's Island 64, Battlefield, and Final Destination.

Please continue to pre-register at http://www.familyfuncenter.net/tournaments

Thanks and we'll see you next weekend!

Big Burn

Smash Lord
this was pretty fun, especailly since i won and got some hella money lol. and it had a good turnout. hopefully there are some other ones here in the future... but with no items!!!!

dmac

Smash Champion
yeah put up a results list here on the thread, not just on the ffc website :)

how well did it work with items, and why'd they leave yoshi 64 on -_-

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
Here are the results of the tournament:

Singles Tournament:

1st Place - Matt Murnan (Mario)
2nd Place - Mike Nims (Falco)
3rd Place - Devon Dillon (Falco)

Teams Tournament:

1st Place - Team Falco
2nd Place - Team B. Dudes
3rd Place - Team Kitten Killers

1st Place singles was worth $133 (65%), figuring the 41 people that showed on Fri and that $2 went to FFC.

The next one is scheduled for December, though no official dates have been given yet. It will also be accompanied by another game that has yet to be decided. One change that has already been decided based on demand is that Yoshi's Island 64 will be on the ban list. Items are still being decided on because right now it's about 50/50 on those who want/don't want them. Of course we don't want to turn away anyone from the December tournament, so to those that DON'T want items on, are there any items that you could live with?

jimi8705

Banned via Administration
since there was such a good turnout, it wouldn't be too unlikely that kansas city and or lawrence might show up, however items are NOT GOOD. they absolutley should be turned OFF. No major touneys have items on, and for good reason. If items are off you have a much better chance of attracting a very good crew of smashers.

jimi8705

make it on a saturday too, that would really really help us OOSers make it

Rasetsu

Smash Rookie
Yeah, lose the items next time. I actually lost a close round when I tried recovering and hit an exploding Chansey egg. They just don't belong, I saw from the stage selection that you guys wanted to get rid of the stages with random stuff that screws up the game, but with items comes exploding containers, and most anyone would put those high on a list of things that can screw up a game.

I was also wondering why Brinstar was allowed. Yoshi 64 was bad, yeah, but Brinstar really had me scratching my head.

Tacoom

Smash Lord
I like surprising people with my yoshi skills. The Items didnt really bother me, yea they made a few matches based on luck,(Rasetsu, I feel your pain) but still, its fun. :chuckle:

Ban these stages for the next tourney: Princess Peach's Castle, Great Bay, Flat Zone, Icicle Mountain, Brainstar, Mute City, Mushroom Kingdom I, Temple, Big Blue, Fourside, Brinstar Depths, Kongo Jungle, and Yoshi Island 64

That leaves 16 other stages. And having random on or having the players agree on a stage to play as well as a stage that they dont want to play on. This should make the stages more enjoyable other then a random pick.

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
Heh at the doubles tourney....items are the only reason my team went down. It came down to a 1on1 between me and a Peach and as I ran in for an attack the Peach jumped back and I accidentally hit a capsule. Boom. We lose. I was winning the battle too....

jimi8705

if its around x mas i dunno, vidjo and pyro gamer will be in kc and phat is gonna hold e 56, it should be the best of the events.

but hopefully i can make this to

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
Another rule change I would like is for the finals NOT to be on FD only please. It should be random using the stages set for the rest of the tourney, because characters with good projectiles have an edge on FD, and we saw what happened with Mario vs. Falco in the finals. They basically spent 80% of the match playing keep away from the opposing fireball/blaster.

DualEdge

Smash Cadet
We'll make a new thread when all of the information is ready to go for the tournament. In the meantime, the title is simply to let everyone know when the next one is.

Top Bottom