• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Few Wolf Mechanics and stuff

Rat

Smash Lord
This is just to talk about wolf mechanics and to discuss application. Everything here is pretty basic but there is other awesome stuff which I won't share yet (my secret =D). This is all observation right now with minimal testing.

The Nair:
The Nair is divided into about 3 parts. The initial hit, the multi-hit, and the final hit.

If you Nair right on top of them, the Nair will hit immediately and do about 8%. The animation will continue but none of the other hit-boxes connect. I need to test this some more. The hit trajectory for this is very horizontal. But the initial hit may function like Wolf's SideB. Knocking them out, depending upon where it connects.

The multi-hit has about 0 stun. I have hit Marth during the start-up of his Fsmash. Yeah...the Fsmash connected. Also the Multi-hit seems slow enough to shield grab through. =(

the final hit does like 4%. It might combo into a Shine above 20%. But nothing special here. It's just wierd that this move basically has 3 different priorities. Really good, horrendous, and ok.

The Fair:
(Not sure if anyone else noticed this but) During a SH, the Fair auto-cancels when performed immediately after the jumping animation. IE You can eliminate The Fair's landing lag. I have to play around with this one as Nair is my go-to attack but this gives the Fair approach potential.

The Uair:
This move is pretty dang good. It will connect against most standing opponents. Just not the really short ones. This also combos. At low %s go: Uair->Shine/Jab & Uair->Utilt. At mid-higher %s do: Uair->Uair/Fair. Also great for camping under a platform (just like DK).

Tripping:
The first hit of the Fsmash trips (someone else already pointed this out,) but also Wolf's Dtilt and Dair(!) trip. The Nair might trip (I remember it happening but haven't tested it yet). Awesome.

SideB:
(We already know this but) It can be canceled. The only application I can see is recovering. When you cancel Wolf's SideB it keeps the momentum and gives more horizontal distance then either the UpB or the regular SideB. Try it out, you go pretty d*** far.

Dthrow:
This move doesn't combo but has awesome set-ups at low percentage. Dthrow->Fsmash can be shielded. Instead predict with it. It they shield walk-up grab or Nair approach. If they roll away blaster. If they roll in wait and Dsmash. If they try to attack they will whiff but also in your Fsmash range. Punish it!

Ledge tricks:
Up-B Stall. Just like Fox and Falco you can Up-B edge stall. If you do it fast enough (Tap back then UpB, then hold in towards the stage) you will regrab before the Kick starts.

Ledgehop Bair, Uair, and Shine are fast enough to regrab the edge after the move finishes. This is good against other spacies where you force them to Side B onto the Stage then kick them in the Face!

Jumping off the edge gives some invicibility frames and can be canceled anytime into an aerial. So if someone is standing on a platform above the stage (rare) you can ledgejump into Fair.

Kills:
I just wanted to stay Wolf has some freaking awesome kill moves. Dsmash, Usmash, Fsmash, Fair, Bair, and (sort of) Uthrow/Uair.

The best set-ups so far have been:
Shield->Upsmash (out of shield, duh).
Empty Jump -> Fsmash (especially when they are above and left/right of you. First attack with a Fair/Uair/Bair and when the come back down Jump at them but just FF. If they take the Bait it's free smash/Fair.)
Nair->Dsmash (put the Nair behind them).
Shine->Fsmash.
B-throw->Bair (in the videos I've seen people are just doing it wrong. You have to trick them into the bair, so it doesn't always work.)

Barrel Roll:
Do.

Blaster:
Awesome. My favorites so far are: retreating SH reverse blasters (if they are chasing) and using it as a fake approach. You just run at them, SH away, tap towards them, B. The timing is a little wierd but it's good.

Wolf is pretty good so far. He's at least better than Sonic. =)

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Good Stuff, thanks. I've watched a few Wolf matches online, but I was wondering what do you think of the blaster? Is the knockback very useful? Does the blaster simply not have enough stun?

Red Alert

Smash Apprentice
the fair is an interesting attack, the animation is incredibly fast, but if wolf lands before the animation ends, he gets crazy amounts of lag. If you don't fast fall, you can pull off the entire animation in a short hop or a ledge hop, making it a very safe move.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Good Stuff, thanks. I've watched a few Wolf matches online, but I was wondering what do you think of the blaster? Is the knockback very useful? Does the blaster simply not have enough stun?
His blaster is great for controlling the stage better and for staying safe when you don't want too follow up with a f smash.

Rat

Smash Lord
I think the blaster is one of Wolf's best moves. The point of the blaster isn't the knockback or the stun. It's the control the blaster gives. Use it to stop approaches, to camp out or whatever.

Red Alert said:
If you don't fast fall, you can pull off the entire animation in a short hop or a ledge hop, making it a very safe move.
You can do it off of a ledge hop without lag?! I must have missed that. I know Ledgejump works but ledgehop wold be sweet. Thanks.

Red Alert

Smash Apprentice
it does, but your timing has to be exact. Any kind of delay and you will get all the lag.

RepMR

Smash Rookie
His Up-Air is good at juggling heavier characters because Wolf's aerial maneuverability is much higher than his ground speed.

Unfortunately, I always get knocked out of it by lighter chaters and I haven't really found a better use for the move, anyone been able to work this into a combo?

Rat

Smash Lord
Not really, i've tried approaching with Uair and it kind of blows (mostly my timing was off). Utilt->Uair doesn't really work cause Utilt doesn't really combo.

Best uses for Uair so far have been:
Camping Under a platform & Juggling.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok some more stuff from messing around in training mode.

The Bair:
It *****. Seriously though, The bair combos into itself. Before I go on that I want to talk about it's hitboxes and stuff.

The Bair is made up of 3 different hitboxes. The 1st is the one around his foot when it extends outward. It does the 13% damage and has the most knockback (of the 3 bair hitboxes).
The 2nd is around the heel of his foot to the middle of his thigh. It does 11% damage, and has slightly less knockback than the 1st hitbox.
The 3rd covers about his knee to the middle of his chest. It does 10% damage and has a decent bit less knockback than the first.

Anyways onto the comboing part. Basically it's FJ Bair FF Bair. You have to move with them the entire (well that depends on the percentage) length of the FJ. I had to switch jump to Z because my thumb was too slow to get to the c-stick, or I'd press jump too lightly; only getting a shorthop. This works best on aerial opponents. To do it on grounded opponents they have to be tall enough to be hit with the bair on the way up (this rules out metaknight.) Easiest way to try is put marth at 45%, FJ bair (keep holding the stick in) FF bair. You can then combo this into SideB, another Bair, or a Fair depending upon which part of the Bair you hit them with.

It is also much easier to set-up with an Uair. Put Marth at 10%, face away SH a Uair so it hits them standing. Then just follow up with FJ Bair->Bair. You can even continue with another FJ Bair->Bair or even combo over a pit.

So just mess around with Starting a FFed Uair to Bair->Bair. At higher %s (Like 35%-50%) you can combo facing forward. This is because the weaker part of the Bair will hit creating less knockback.

Again I had to switch Jump to the Z button to pull if off, but seriously (in training mode) i've done 63% combos. Uair->Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->SideB. Straight up combo, not even joking with you.

I'll be around some video recording stuff on monday and I'll get to try it out on people. So yeah, seriously try it out. It *****.

FJ Bair->FF Bair too good.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
sh fair can combo now that youve told me this, ive been messing with it

Rat

Smash Lord
like SH Fair to start the combo? Cause I've never had much success with the Fair so far. I'll mess around with it.

Mobman47

Smash Rookie
I have two questions, ones kinda nooby.

1st question is that I'm having some trouble trying to cancle the fair, any tips? like specifically at what point in his animation do you do it?

Nooby Question, how to you cancle the side b? I've done it on accident a few times but every time I try to deliberatly do it, I fail and it just does it the normal way.

Rat

Smash Lord
no worries.

You just have to do the Fair immediately after you start the short hop. If you do it too late then you will have landing lag. That's pretty much all there is too it. Umm other tips could be, try using the Y and A button. I have an easy time just like rolling my thumb from Y (the top one, not the side jump button) to A. This is instead of trying to use the C-stick.

Canceling the SideB.
Basically press B again while Wolf is in the middle of his Dash animation. The timing is like like 3-5 frames only (ie 1/15th of a second window.) I still ahve alot of trouble doing it. You can try the good old mash the B button trick. But I have more success when I just practice the timing. I also don't pay any attention to the sound of game. I try random timings until i get it. Then just practice it abstracted from the game, giving it some rhythm or something. GL. The results aren't super fantastic and the timing is very strict but you'll get it.

Top Bottom