• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

few questions on gamecube controllers

Mr.Bond

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-9475-7122
so ive been playing smash on the 3ds(no wii u) recently started going to touranments but iam using an orginal gamecube controller (i can feel the wear) but i want to invest in a new one i saw theres a couple types. i like my joy sticks to be tight so i dont smash attck when iam barly pressing forward etc. should i just buy a new og gamecube controller, also saw they had gamecube controllers but with the smash logo insted any differnce between those 2? (i dont like the way the pro controllers feel) personally i would like the link hori pad anyone know anything about how the hori's are made, ive yet to see one in the few touranments i been in. lastly if anyone knows a goodsite with good custom link controllers that are well made( i know itll cost me) thanks for any feedback

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
Hellooo! Alright, so:
If you're looking to really get into competing and you see yourself going to tournaments semi often, you should definitely invest in a real Gamecube. And by real, I mean one made by Nintendo. Your best bet is to purchase the special edition ones (aka the ones with the Smash ball/logo on top) since OG ones from years and years ago tend to go for more on eBay. Also, the newer special edition controllers are less likely to break, seeing as how they're newer and haven't gone through much wear, unlike the controllers on eBay or wherever. You can also purchase "bootleg" Gamecubes made by other companies - but these don't hold a candle to Nintendo ones. Trust me, I own a couple bootleg ones. They work for a bit and then tend to jam or conk out completely. So definitely get Nintendo's controllers instead.

As for the Hori Pad, I don't recommend those. Not because they're made poorly or anything! They're actually very good quality from what I've heard. But the reason I don't recommend them is because they aren't really tournament legal as they require a Wiimote to function, and a Wiimote is wirelessly connected to the TV (wireless controllers are banned pretty much everywhere). If you were a casual player they'd be great, but as a competitive player it'd just be a waste of money seeing as you can't use them much at all.

All in all, I recommend the Smash logo Gamecube from Nintendo. They're not pricey (especially considering the quality) and will last you the longest. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else!

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
As for the Hori Pad, I don't recommend those. Not because they're made poorly or anything! They're actually very good quality from what I've heard. But the reason I don't recommend them is because they aren't really tournament legal as they require a Wiimote to function, and a Wiimote is wirelessly connected to the TV (wireless controllers are banned pretty much everywhere). If you were a casual player they'd be great, but as a competitive player it'd just be a waste of money seeing as you can't use them much at all.
That may have been the case previously, but the current official ruleset allows them.

Mr.Bond

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-9475-7122
Hellooo! Alright, so:
If you're looking to really get into competing and you see yourself going to tournaments semi often, you should definitely invest in a real Gamecube. And by real, I mean one made by Nintendo. Your best bet is to purchase the special edition ones (aka the ones with the Smash ball/logo on top) since OG ones from years and years ago tend to go for more on eBay. Also, the newer special edition controllers are less likely to break, seeing as how they're newer and haven't gone through much wear, unlike the controllers on eBay or wherever. You can also purchase "bootleg" Gamecubes made by other companies - but these don't hold a candle to Nintendo ones. Trust me, I own a couple bootleg ones. They work for a bit and then tend to jam or conk out completely. So definitely get Nintendo's controllers instead.

All in all, I recommend the Smash logo Gamecube from Nintendo. They're not pricey (especially considering the quality) and will last you the longest. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else!
awsome great advice and thank you for your time going into depth i appraciate it thanks!

edit: sorry forgot one more question do you know a good site to purchuse one or even customize it (id love a link style)

Last edited:

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
That may have been the case previously, but the current official ruleset allows them.
Mmm, interesting! Thank you for letting me know then. I'm mostly just going off of tournaments that I plan on attending this year but the vast majority of them still say that wireless controllers aren't encouraged and they don't really want you using them to avoid any problems. So, they're legal, but it's safer to use a wired one. That's just me though!

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
awsome great advice and thank you for your time going into depth i appraciate it thanks!

edit: sorry forgot one more question do you know a good site to purchuse one or even customize it (id love a link style)
No problem! My pleasure. ^_^

Yes! Controller Chaos has amazing custom Gamecube controllers that are really, really good quality. They have a Link one available too, so that's even better in your case! Here's a link to their website: http://www.controllerchaos.com/gamecube-custom-controllers-super-smash-bros.html

Keep in mind the controllers aren't cheap, so please be wary of the prices.

Top Bottom