• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Few questions about Ganondorf

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
I've been maining ganon for about half a year now. I love his playstyle, but I still have a lot to familiarize myself with.

What is the best time/purpose for using Nair, sideB and Dsmash?
I seem to use Nair mainly when I'm in need of a quick close approach, or in the middle of getting combo'd to quickly stop it.
Personally, I've always used Wizard's foot more than Gerudo dragon(I love the high-risk, high-reward style of attack the move offers). Sometimes I'll use it after a Dair or at medium range approach if I'm feeling lucky.
I use Dsmash mostly when people are rolling from the ledge/towards me, or randomly when I'm being approached at close range.

What's the best move for blocking projectiles? I hear jab and side tilt are decent options. The only projectiles I have issues with are lasers and needles. I used to get piled easily with samus' missiles, but I just jab through them now without a problem.

Best way to avoid repetitively getting shine-spike combo'd by a falco? My best defense seems to be jabs and Nairs.

Last and most importantly, I have major issues getting caped by Mario/Dr. Mario during my upwards recovery. What's the best option in that situation? If I'm close enough, I'll upB further from the ledge, and fake-out to fast fall to the ledge, avoiding the cape. I haven't tried air-dodging out of it, but I'm not sure how that would work out.

I highly appreciate your feedback.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
What is the best time/purpose for using Nair, sideB and Dsmash?
nair isn't very good in the neutral unfortunately. a lot of the situations you'd think a nair would be good you're better off with a uair. the uair can catch people on the ground in close quarters if you space it right. regardless, the nair still has some uses. when you dthrow a marth, peach or sheik and they di away from you or not at all, first hit of nair is a pretty good option because it'll pop them up and if they don't perfectly di it, you can usually get a follow up. sometimes you can just use it to put people on platforms for the easy tech read.

side b is quite useful actually. you can hit people's shields with side b and they won't be able to shield grab you. i'll often side b a shield and then ftilt immediately if i know my opponent will mindlessly shield grab. if you know your opponent is going to throw out an attack in front of you, you could just let them whiff it and punish with side-b, which unlike down b leads into aerial followups. side b can also cover a bunch of tech chase options against fast fallers. it covers tech in place, tech away and no tech. and finally, side b can be used from a ledgehop. i believe you're invincible until the hitbox comes out. a lot of people don't see it coming from the ledge.

dsmash has similar uses to side b. you can use it when tech chasing fast fallers to cover tech in place, tech towards you, and no tech. of course, you need to time it correctly. but you can read more about that in ACE's all new tech chasing fast fallers thread. you can also ledgehop dsmash similarly to the way you ledgehop side b to surprise your opponent. the first hit of the dsmash is awesome near the ledge because it'll send your opponent offstage for a perfect edgeguard/gimp. and as you pointed out, it can be used to cover a roll if you read it.

What's the best move for blocking projectiles?
jab is the best for blocking things like pills, missiles and other slower projectiles. you can use fftilt and all your aerials too. but really, you shouldn't be trying to block lasers and needles with a move. you gotta just shield the needles and try to powershield the lasers. as for turnips, just catch that ****.

Best way to avoid repetitively getting shine-spike combo'd by a falco?
if you're getting dair shined in your shield, learn to buffer roll so you get out of those situations. respect the dair when falco is above you. you can actually beat it out with uair if you time it and space properly. watch some kage videos, he does it all the time. uair is your best defense against space animals that are above you. once you're actually in the combo, don't miss opportunities to tech away (never tech in place unless you're going for some heavy mindgames and your opponent has been covering the other tech options) and do what you can do di the dairs away from platforms or the ledge. you want to land into a tech in the middle of the stage where your roll is too long for falco to follow up easily. if you tech away on a platform falco can cover all your tech options really easily and you'll continue to get comboed.

Last and most importantly, I have major issues getting caped by Mario/Dr. Mario during my upwards recovery. What's the best option in that situation? If I'm close enough, I'll upB further from the ledge, and fake-out to fast fall to the ledge, avoiding the cape. I haven't tried air-dodging out of it, but I'm not sure how that would work out.
one of the reasons ganon and falcon body the mario bros is because the cape is actually not as useful against them as it is other characters. what you want to do is go for the reverse up-b recovery because if they cape you you'll just grab the ledge normally. and if they don't cape you, ganon and falcon can both grab the ledge while facing the wrong way from the up-b. what you described actually sounds pretty unsafe. doc mains will look for opportunities to cape you just when you're about to fall for the ledge, which is exactly what you're doing when you fade back like that. i mean i guess that could work in certain situations, but most docs will eat that **** up.

source: there's a very good doc in my region

Last edited:

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Thank you so much!

Yeah, lasers and needles are a *****. I have a lot of practice with my bud who mains peach, so I have much experience grabbing turnips. As for powershielding, the only way I can think of practicing is against a falco with turbo mode on his neutral B.

Your advice against doc is awesome. My only issue with that, is that your option doesn't seem as viable on Yoshi's story(maybe Pokemon stadium) if reverse up-Bing from afar, due to the 90-degree angle.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Thank you so much!

Yeah, lasers and needles are a *****. I have a lot of practice with my bud who mains peach, so I have much experience grabbing turnips. As for powershielding, the only way I can think of practicing is against a falco with turbo mode on his neutral B.

Your advice against doc is awesome. My only issue with that, is that your option doesn't seem as viable on Yoshi's story(maybe Pokemon stadium) if reverse up-Bing from afar, due to the 90-degree angle.
The 20XX hack pack is really helpful for learning the timing on powershielding lasers, since it's a built-in toggle.

Reverse up-b can work vertically, you just have to control yourself to go straight up. I was able to fake out a buddy of mine who plays Doc in a tournament set, on Yoshi's, with Wanted's strategy.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
the only way I can think of practicing is against a falco with turbo mode on his neutral B.
even without the 20xx hack pack you can still practice powershielding lasers. get a lv 9 falco on fd and just run to the other side and let him shoot at you until he gets to you in which case you just roll and run to the other side. it's tedious, the falco isn't jumping the lasers, but they still come out at the same speed and you still will learn the timing for powershield that way.

you can still reverse up b on yoshi's, you just won't sweet spot it as nicely. there are other mixups for recovery though. recovering high removes the cape option and forces doc/mario to bair you. you can also airdodge onto the stage to avoid the cape.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Practice using either c-stick up or whatever for jump OoS when you powershield the lasers. It's the only way to really make use of them, or roll behind Falco.

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman

Kar

Smash Rookie
if you're getting dair shined in your shield, learn to buffer roll so you get out of those situations. respect the dair when falco is above you. you can actually beat it out with uair if you time it and space properly. watch some kage videos, he does it all the time. uair is your best defense against space animals that are above you. once you're actually in the combo, don't miss opportunities to tech away (never tech in place unless you're going for some heavy mindgames and your opponent has been covering the other tech options) and do what you can do di the dairs away from platforms or the ledge. you want to land into a tech in the middle of the stage where your roll is too long for falco to follow up easily. if you tech away on a platform falco can cover all your tech options really easily and you'll continue to get comboed.
How does buffer roll work ? I never heard about that

Top Bottom