• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

female smashers what crap do you go though online and in tournaments

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
It might seem scary for some girls to start playing Smash or Pokemon competitively, because competitive gaming has a masculine culture with almost only guys.
I feel like "gamer guy" culture can often be frustrating and I wouldn't be surprised if it discouraged people, male or female, from wanting to get involved in gaming circles, especially ones focused on tournaments and other competitive stuff like that. It's something that's definitely made me a little wary about being more of a part of those circles.

I do think there's somewhat of a double standard in gaming. I feel like there's more pressure on women to prove that they're "real gamers" than there is for men (though the whole idea of "real gamers" vs. casuals seems super silly to me anyway). From what I can tell, it's also not all that unusual for female developers and Let's Players to get some pretty messed comments that most male ones don't receive (e.g., comments about people's looks/attractiveness). I'm not sure what the source of that disparate treatment is, but I think it might have something to do with cultural stuff mentioned above.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Yep, that's pretty much right. Women do actually need to prove themselves a lot more frequently and strongly as the gaming industry is mainly used to men since its birth in the mid-20th century.
I feel like "gamer guy" culture can often be frustrating and I wouldn't be surprised if it discouraged people, male or female, from wanting to get involved in gaming circles, especially ones focused on tournaments and other competitive stuff like that. It's something that's definitely made me a little wary about being more of a part of those circles.

I do think there's somewhat of a double standard in gaming. I feel like there's more pressure on women to prove that they're "real gamers" than there is for men (though the whole idea of "real gamers" vs. casuals seems super silly to me anyway). From what I can tell, it's also not all that unusual for female developers and Let's Players to get some pretty messed comments that most male ones don't receive (e.g., comments focusing on people's looks/attractiveness and other weird things like that). I'm not sure what the source of that disparate treatment is, but I think it might have something to do with cultural stuff mentioned above.

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
I pretty much agree with everything you guys have said.

But with experience in competitive Pokemon, I do notice that girls playing games competitively are rare, even though girls can be just as good or bad as guys at it. It might seem scary for some girls to start playing Smash or Pokemon competitively, because competitive gaming has a masculine culture with almost only guys. At least, almost all competitive Pokemon players I know are male, and from what I can see on this forum, most members are male.
OT but I honestly feel like it's easier for females to get into Competitive Pokemon because it's not as... intense as Smash imo. Plus more females probably play Pokemon over Melee tbh. (I play competitive Pokemon too for reference haha) The Pokemon community is not as intimidating or intense as Melee. That's just my perspective tho.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374

OT but I honestly feel like it's easier for females to get into Competitive Pokemon because it's not as... intense as Smash imo. Plus more females probably play Pokemon over Melee tbh. (I play competitive Pokemon too for reference haha) The Pokemon community is not as intimidating or intense as Melee. That's just my perspective tho.
Because Pokemon is known as for all ages and very open towards female players.

Smash doesn't get that recognition, as far as I know.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303

Hard to say... In the online community of competitive Pokemon players, finding female players is very rare on forums like Smogon. Once, a female acquintance/somewhat-friend of mine was playing, and played against a male opponent. She had this conversation during battle:

Opponent: Why do dudes here use girl names?
Friend: Because I'm a girl?
Opponent: Really?

Of course this is just one instance, but the fact that some people assume all competitive Pokemon players are male shows how rare female players are. Casual Pokemon is very welcoming to girls, but when it comes to competitive play, I notice an environment in which female players are very rare, sadly. Maybe that reputation might cause some girls who are interested to think: "I won't be accepted here, I won't join."

Maybe there are more girls than I think on online simulators, but on forums and active communities, it's pretty rare, sadly.

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
Hard to say... In the online community of competitive Pokemon players, finding female players is very rare on forums like Smogon. Once, a female acquintance/somewhat-friend of mine was playing, and played against a male opponent. She had this conversation during battle:

Opponent: Why do dudes here use girl names?
Friend: Because I'm a girl?
Opponent: Really?

Of course this is just one instance, but the fact that some people assume all competitive Pokemon players are male shows how rare female players are. Casual Pokemon is very welcoming to girls, but when it comes to competitive play, I notice an environment in which female players are very rare, sadly. Maybe that reputation might cause some girls who are interested to think: "I won't be accepted here, I won't join."

Maybe there are more girls than I think on online simulators, but on forums and active communities, it's pretty rare, sadly.
Or girls are hiding that they are hiding the fact they're girls because they don't want to be treated differently. I do that on Showdown and Anther's. Just saying.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Or girls are hiding that they are hiding the fact they're girls because they don't want to be treated differently. I do that on Showdown and Anther's. Just saying.
That's really ****ing sad. I'm serious.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Welcome to my life lmao. I blame the Internet. I don't mind it though, I'm used to it at this point.
Maybe I'm such a worrywart.

Maybe it isn't such a big idea after all.

I'm confused.

I'm messed up in the head.

I don't know what to say, anymore, other than the fact that being a woman or a girl in the gaming community is rather hard and somewhat painful.

That's all I know for now.

Good-bye. Sayonara. Guten Tag. Adios. Au Revoir.

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
Not all of it is "hard and painful" though. Yeah you might get more **** thrown at you, but the Smash/Pokemon communities are welcoming. More so in real life obviously, because people can say whatever they want behind a screen.

Also when I say "treated differently" I mean in ways that I stated before (having to "prove" yourself, etc.) and ways you guys mentioned too. But it's also too where people don't take you seriously or don't play their best against you, just to let you win "cuz you're a girl" and you're trying to be nice or get in their pants. Just throwing it out there.

Also for reference it's not like this is a sudden thing, I've been involved in the gaming community (online and offline) for a long time and it's been like this. Just to put it in perspective. Idk, like I said. I'm used to it. People don't realize I'm a girl until later and then things change. :/

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
Well, the fact that you have to do this in order to play a game without getting harrassed shows how sick some gaming communities are...

Not all of it is "hard and painful" though. Yeah you might get more **** thrown at you, but the Smash/Pokemon communities are welcoming. More so in real life obviously, because people can say whatever they want behind a screen.

Also when I say "treated differently" I mean in ways that I stated before (having to "prove" yourself, etc.) and ways you guys mentioned too. But it's also too where people don't take you seriously or don't play their best against you, just to let you win "cuz you're a girl" and you're trying to be nice or get in their pants. Just throwing it out there.

Also for reference it's not like this is a sudden thing, I've been involved in the gaming community (online and offline) for a long time and it's been like this. Just to put it in perspective. Idk, like I said. I'm used to it. People don't realize I'm a girl until later and then things change. :/
Well, I was mostly talking about online, finding competitive Pokemon/Smash players in real life is much harder. And of course this kind of sexism isn't sudden, it has always been there in competitive gaming, sadly. I just really hope that someday, this will change, but I don't have much hope...

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Meh, I don't really mind if somebody says "A grill" when I go to tournaments. I picture the Dansgame face in my head and laugh. I also don't like using the words "Sexism" in this context. Because SJW's and radical feminists has made the word meaningless. I meet some jerks through time to time. But there are strict tournament rules in Sweden. The worst thing that has happened in recent memory is that some teen said under his breath "God damn, I can't be beat by an old lady". I got annoyed because he called me old (I am 32 for god sake!).

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Meh, I don't really mind if somebody says "A grill" when I go to tournaments. I picture the Dansgame face in my head and laugh. I also don't like using the words "Sexism" in this context. Because SJW's and radical feminists has made the word meaningless. I meet some jerks through time to time. But there are strict tournament rules in Sweden. The worst thing that has happened in recent memory is that some teen said under his breath "God damn, I can't be beat by an old lady". I got annoyed because he called me old (I am 32 for god sake!).
I guess you're just lucky, or something. But, still, good on you for ignoring them and going on with your life.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374

Welll, I guess if that's the only catch to it, then I guess I shouldn't make a big deal out of it.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Yeah, but there aren't any real rude people in Swedish tournaments. I have met some bad apples, but there are douchebags everywhere. :)
Well, in other Western countries, it's a bit more problematic, especially in the Deep South, where I live, in the U.S.A....

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Yeah, I noticed that you live in texas. Is it really that bad there?
I've only heard rumors and some legit messages online stating that Texas, especially some of the bigger cities there, like Houston, has a slightly warped sense of acceptance. There are at least only a few women who barely pass as being competitive in most male gamers' eyes. Houston in general is a very "raunchy" city to live in.

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
I'm MD/VA so I can't speak for the rest of the country lol.

Top Bottom