• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

female smashers what crap do you go though online and in tournaments

mythbust4000

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I was just wondering how easer/harder it is for you
I imagine that your ether get harassed for being female or you have guys desperate to have you

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Well I'm not a female the last time I checked, but I once had this crew battle where all of them played on the same Wii U, and the leader's girlfriend asked a friend of mine who was also a female smasher, and said how lucky she was to be able to play, because the other members who were all guys didn't let her play just because she's a girl.
(Wow, that's a huge run-off sentence.)

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I want more females in the smash scene. I think women can be good as any smash professional out there just need practice of course.

Last edited:

spamwichx

Smash Cadet
NNID
samantharrgh
talk to some guy on a dating site and tell him i like playing my 3ds. he asks what I play, I tell him I play sm4sh. he says "oh wow! never thought a girl would play smash." *rolls eyes* i don't talk to him anymore.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
talk to some guy on a dating site and tell him i like playing my 3ds. he asks what I play, I tell him I play sm4sh. he says "oh wow! never thought a girl would play smash." *rolls eyes* i don't talk to him anymore.
Yea concerning Sm4sh I think that is a bizarre response.

...but if a chick I was talking to said she was into SSB Melee? Being shocked and surprised would be a very valid response. That's like 1 in 100,000.

I can't wait for the day that the ratio is even, we definitely need more women repping competitive smash.

Last edited:

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
  • When people don't take you seriously
  • "Oh you're good, for a girl."
  • People getting super salty over you winning
  • When people think you're in the scene just to get with guys
  • Sandbagging because you're a girl
  • "Oh you don't know *insert obscure fact about Melee here?*"
I could go on... but I'll stop there.

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
its always just a bunch of weird little things. and sometimes staring if the thirst is real. pls stop staring at the girls you are making people uncomfortable.

oh and rarely ill get the 'wait you play smash/do you even play smash/are you here because your bf is here?'

but thats mostly funny/they dont know my tag/that one time m2k forgot my tag and then remembered that he knows who i am and shouldnt ask if im only here because the bf.

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
It's must sucks being asked question a game you know back of your hand just because for your sex. I guess best thing to do is just ignore the guys ask such questions and do your thing

Last edited:

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Huh? I just don't get it...
'hey wait do you know obscure unimportant smash fact?'
'no i dont'
'WOW WHY DONT GIRLS EVER KNOW THESE FACTS'

not that extreme in MOST cases of course...but women are sometimes put more in a group while men are recognized in the individual sense.

once again, NOT SAYING ALL (inb4 #NOTALLMEN), but it happens.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
'hey wait do you know obscure unimportant smash fact?'
'no i dont'
'WOW WHY DONT GIRLS EVER KNOW THESE FACTS'

not that extreme in MOST cases of course...but women are sometimes put more in a group while men are recognized in the individual sense.

once again, NOT SAYING ALL (inb4 #NOTALLMEN), but it happens.
Hmmm I ask other dudes stuff about Smash whenever I'm at my scene. So what exactly about it bothers you?

Is it just certain reactions you get if you don't know the answer? The reason I ask is if I saw someone at my smash scene and I wanted to talk to that person then I would think a question about smash would be a good conversation starter.

T8TO

Smash Cadet
Most times I survive as a female gamer due to the fact of being tomboyish and lesbian. So I guess that made me "one of the guys".

Not to say that I haven't experienced any sort of negative responses, then again everyone experiences some sort of gaming prejudice in life.

I worked at a used game store for nearly 2 years, and got extremely irritated at customers, usually parents.

"Do you guys have any GIRL games"
"Too bad video games aren't for girls"
And so on

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Hmmm I ask other dudes stuff about Smash whenever I'm at my scene. So what exactly about it bothers you?

Is it just certain reactions you get if you don't know the answer? The reason I ask is if I saw someone at my smash scene and I wanted to talk to that person then I would think a question about smash would be a good conversation starter.
i dont get this personally, so i cant say for SCF3, but i think what people in this thread arent understanding is the fact that this is done in a CONDESCENDING manner. like 'oh well duh you dont know this fact'

like i said before, i generally just see the thirst or get weird off-hand remarks by people who dont know my tag or forget who i am (m2k. BRUH YOU HAVE BUGGED ME FOR RIDES TO CON TOURNAMENTS AT LEAST REMEMBER WHO I AM IN BRACKET FOR THE UPTEENTH TIME)

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
@ Chronodiver Lokii Chronodiver Lokii is right, what I mean is that it's said in a condescending manner.

I don't mind using Smash as a convo starter, but if you're trying to be a jerk about it... like pls.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Most times I survive as a female gamer due to the fact of being tomboyish and lesbian. So I guess that made me "one of the guys".

Not to say that I haven't experienced any sort of negative responses, then again everyone experiences some sort of gaming prejudice in life.

I worked at a used game store for nearly 2 years, and got extremely irritated at customers, usually parents.

"Do you guys have any GIRL games"
"Too bad video games aren't for girls"
And so on
This is why I'm glad my little sister mostly doesn't get harassed online. This bull**** about "women not being real gamers because they're expected to ONLY know about "feminine" stuff" needs to stop.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Yea concerning Sm4sh I think that is a bizarre response.

...but if a chick I was talking to said she was into SSB Melee? Being shocked and surprised would be a very valid response. That's like 1 in 100,000.

I can't wait for the day that the ratio is even, we definitely need more women repping competitive smash.
I agree. Completely.

What I mean is the fact that
1. People feel the need to quiz/test you to see if you're actually worthy/a "real" gamer.
2. If you don't know said obscure fact, it looks bad to your whole gender. Does that happen to guys? No.
Do you feel that it is very much directed at you for being a woman or are people probing to see if you are into the competitive side of things?

I say that because for both women and men the Smash series can be divided into pretty much two halves. The group of people who play the game with no strive for improvement and those that are dedicated enough to want to get better. For me, I play the smash games for the latter half seeing it as a challenge to get better at something that is fun. Similar to wanting to get better at any other skill. Therefore, I find it hard to relate to people who never want to discuss the game on a competitive level.

There have been so many people I have met at the university weekly events I go to that come and never come back. Whether it be men or women its pretty much all the same. Some will come for a couple times, then never show up again. I have been doing many of these for the past 4 years. The tournament going player base I know about has increased, but for the most part its is VERY rare to find an individual dedicated enough to stick with the game at a competitive interest for months.

In all of that time I have seen only one women come back repeatedly and show interest in striving to improve. But, even among the men its rare as I think there are only 2 dozen people I would say who have repeatedly shown they are invested to stay over the course of like 4 years.

Anyway, my point to this is I wonder how many people do you think are treating you differently than they do others because you are a women or possibly because that is how they treat everyone. I am not certain of your circumstance, but it was a thought that came to mind.

At this point for me I am not really going to bother paying attention to anyone too much until I know they have similar interests in the game as I do. Which I find out by either seeing them come back again and again for several months or the fact they can play well. It similar I think to pretty much every topic. People want to find other with the same interests they do and they sort of "test" you in directly or indirectly.

*Internal thinking*
Cool, someone else likes to play smash :D
Oh, they do not like it in the same ways I do. That sucks :(

spamwichx

Smash Cadet
NNID
samantharrgh
i think scf3 was trying to say those points happen in all games. some people are so blind by patriarchal structure that they think only men play games, and get so surprised about girls playing games they almost don't believe them, and have to question them. I'd say they would ask about the game first. then probe to see if they're competitive afterwards.

despite me having that encounter with that guy in my preious post in this thread, I've encountered heaps of dudes that are like "**** yeah! give us ya friend code and i'll vs you! this is so exciting!" i think that is definitely the right attitude to have and actually has encouraged me to play the game more. :)

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Do you feel that it is very much directed at you for being a woman or are people probing to see if you are into the competitive side of things?

I say that because for both women and men the Smash series can be divided into pretty much two halves. The group of people who play the game with no strive for improvement and those that are dedicated enough to want to get better. For me, I play the smash games for the latter half seeing it as a challenge to get better at something that is fun. Similar to wanting to get better at any other skill. Therefore, I find it hard to relate to people who never want to discuss the game on a competitive level.

There have been so many people I have met at the university weekly events I go to that come and never come back. Whether it be men or women its pretty much all the same. Some will come for a couple times, then never show up again. I have been doing many of these for the past 4 years. The tournament going player base I know about has increased, but for the most part its is VERY rare to find an individual dedicated enough to stick with the game at a competitive interest for months.

In all of that time I have seen only one women come back repeatedly and show interest in striving to improve. But, even among the men its rare as I think there are only 2 dozen people I would say who have repeatedly shown they are invested to stay over the course of like 4 years.

Anyway, my point to this is I wonder how many people do you think are treating you differently than they do others because you are a women or possibly because that is how they treat everyone. I am not certain of your circumstance, but it was a thought that came to mind.

At this point for me I am not really going to bother paying attention to anyone too much until I know they have similar interests in the game as I do. Which I find out by either seeing them come back again and again for several months or the fact they can play well. It similar I think to pretty much every topic. People want to find other with the same interests they do and they sort of "test" you in directly or indirectly.

*Internal thinking*
Cool, someone else likes to play smash :D
Oh, they do not like it in the same ways I do. That sucks :(
Sadly, it's just how our society has evolved. This is one of the faults of how we humans have evolved, and nature in general, where all females are "supposed to be nurturing and delicate". Me? I don't think this rule stands up anymore in today's world, where we honestly need more variety and different mindsets on certain topics.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
i think scf3 was trying to say those points happen in all games. some people are so blind by patriarchal structure that they think only men play games, and get so surprised about girls playing games they almost don't believe them, and have to question them. I'd say they would ask about the game first. then probe to see if they're competitive afterwards.

despite me having that encounter with that guy in my preious post in this thread, I've encountered heaps of dudes that are like "**** yeah! give us ya friend code and i'll vs you! this is so exciting!" i think that is definitely the right attitude to have and actually has encouraged me to play the game more. :)
Including myself, there are some guys that are very open to anyone who can battle competitive, no matter their sex, or gender.

Chinaux

Smash Ace

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
Eh, I've always loved fighting games in general, just from time to time people act surprised that I like the games and I'm good at them.

But in general it's not so shocking, at least here in Mexico.

Oh, when I was younger though, none of the guys would let me play because I was a girl, most of my childhood was spent watching the other guys play ssb64 :(

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Eh, I've always loved fighting games in general, just from time to time people act surprised that I like the games and I'm good at them.

But in general it's not so shocking, at least here in Mexico.

Oh, when I was younger though, none of the guys would let me play because I was a girl, most of my childhood was spent watching the other guys play ssb64 :(
Well, it's nice that people are a bit more open nowadays.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
It's more frequent with girls, though I may be wrong.
You are wrong. It's absurd that you'd think gender has anything to do with it. They're telling you something because you don't know it, not because you're not a male.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
You are wrong. It's absurd that you'd think gender has anything to do with it. They're telling you something because you don't know it, not because you're not a male.
I misunderstood your question. I was reading too quickly, dude. Sorry for being ignorant.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
As a pro-feminist man trying to be an ally, I definitely notice there's a problem. I have to admit I have no tournament experience, I only just started learning more about competitive Smash. But with experience in competitive Pokemon, I do notice that girls playing games competitively are rare, even though girls can be just as good or bad as guys at it. It might seem scary for some girls to start playing Smash or Pokemon competitively, because competitive gaming has a masculine culture with almost only guys. At least, almost all competitive Pokemon players I know are male, and from what I can see on this forum, most members are male.

But sadly, there are also people who seem to think casual gaming is just for guys. Well, my best friend and second best friend (both female) play Smash (Melee, Brawl, 3DS, Wii U) and my girlfriend just bought Smash 3DS.

Not many people seem surprised to hear that these girls play casually, but it would probably be a different story if they would play competitively.

What I mean is the fact that
1. People feel the need to quiz/test you to see if you're actually worthy/a "real" gamer.
2. If you don't know said obscure fact, it looks bad to your whole gender. Does that happen to guys? No.

These two tweets pretty much sum it up.
https://twitter.com/LiloNStitchface/status/616789916442357760
https://twitter.com/LiloNStitchface/status/616790673468059648
This is so true, sady...

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
As a male (non-radical, non-SJW, non-Tumblr) feminist, I definitely notice there's a problem. I have to admit I have no tournament experience, I only just started learning more about competitive Smash. But with experience in competitive Pokemon, I do notice that girls playing games competitively are rare, even though girls can be just as good or bad as guys at it. It might seem scary for some girls to start playing Smash or Pokemon competitively, because competitive gaming has a masculine culture with almost only guys. At least, almost all competitive Pokemon players I know are male, and from what I can see on this forum, most members are male.

But sadly, there are also people who seem to think casual gaming is just for guys. Well, my best friend and second best friend (both female) play Smash (Melee, Brawl, 3DS, Wii U) and my girlfriend just bought Smash 3DS.

Not many people seem surprised to hear that these girls play casually, but it would probably be a different story if they would play competitively.

This is so true, sady...
That's exactly my thoughts on the matter here.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
As a male (non-radical, non-SJW, non-Tumblr) feminist, I definitely notice there's a problem. I have to admit I have no tournament experience, I only just started learning more about competitive Smash. But with experience in competitive Pokemon, I do notice that girls playing games competitively are rare, even though girls can be just as good or bad as guys at it. It might seem scary for some girls to start playing Smash or Pokemon competitively, because competitive gaming has a masculine culture with almost only guys. At least, almost all competitive Pokemon players I know are male, and from what I can see on this forum, most members are male.

This is so true, sady...
But, hey, at least my sister isn't getting harrased online. Hecl, she even has some friends online because of her skill level.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
That's exactly my thoughts on the matter here.
Thanks. It's just hard. If a girl gets interested in a game competitively and notices that she might be one of the very few girls, it's just scary and daunting for some to actually get involved in a community. But it would still be good if more girls do it, so then, "competitive girls" become a bit less rare, hopefully making it easier for other girls to join, so we might someday (will take a very long time) get around a 50/50 ratio. I mean, I once read this statistic that 48% of gamers are female, and I know many girls like Smash casually, so there's enough potential.

But, hey, at least my sister isn't getting harrased online. Hecl, she even has some friends online because of her skill level.
That's good, but I do notice that girls need to prove themselves more than guys, which is just blatant sexism. She should have friends because of her personality, not because of her skill level.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Thanks. It's just hard. If a girl gets interested in a game competitively and notices that she might be one of the very few girls, it's just scary and daunting for some to actually get involved in a community. But it would still be good if more girls do it, so then, "competitive girls" become a bit less rare, hopefully making it easier for other girls to join, so we might someday (will take a very long time) get around a 50/50 ratio. I mean, I once read this statistic that 48% of gamers are female, and I know many girls like Smash casually, so there's enough potential.
I think we SHOULD get more female gamers into the Smash community. Lift their fears, and show them that we're accepting of newcomers, including women.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
I think we SHOULD get more female gamers into the Smash community. Lift their fears, and show them that we're accepting of newcomers, including women.
The problem is that we might both be accepting, and more people might be accepting, but there are also too many people who are not welcoming and open-minded. A solution needs to be found to stop those people, but that's easier said than done.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374

That's good, but I do notice that girls need to prove themselves more than guys, which is just blatant sexism. She should have friends because of her personality, not because of her skill level.
Nah, she's a perfectly sensible 12 year old. She doesn't brag about it, and her friends apparently like her personality online, so...

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
The problem is that we might both be accepting, and more people might be accepting, but there are also too many people who are not welcoming and open-minded. A solution needs to be found to stop those people, but that's easier said than done.
Yeah, I realize that pretty well. It's gonna be a hard and long time, but I think it's going to be worth it in the end. Ten years' time, I believe.

Top Bottom