• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Feb 28, 2015] Frame Perfect Saturday 3 @ Play It Again: Wii U, Project M, &... (Concord, NC)

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
FPS 3 is coming! We will have the streaming Smash 64 and PM or Smash 4 (undecided right now which one) live on http://www.twitch.tv/framezerogaming. Singles for Smash 4, PM, & 64 will be active and a Doubles event for the game with the most interest. If you can't make it down to Olympus that weekend you have a great place to come, enjoy the community, and play!

Schedule:
11:00-Doors Open
11:30-Doubles & Smash64 Registration Starts
12:30-Doubles & Smash64 Bracket Begins
1:00-Smash 4/PM Singles Registration Starts
2:00-Smash 4 Singles Bracket Begins
2:30-PM Singles Bracket Begins​

Before anything let me say this: if you plan to come please bring a setup if you are able, we will need them!
Project M: Wii w/ Project M 3.5 installed & a CRT
Smash Wii U: Wii U w/ Smash Wii U disc, & an appropriate sized HDTV
Smash 64: Nintendo 64 w/ Smash 64 cartidge & a CRT

Located about 15 minutes away from UNCC and practically in the same parking lot of the Concord Mills Mall this is the ideal location for all your new, retro, card, and board gaming needs. Concord Mills Blvd is directly off I-85 as well so it should be easy enough for you travelers to find. There is plenty of food in the area including Steak & Shake, Chic-Fil-A, and of course the food court in the mall. While no outside food or drink is allowed in the venue they do offer drinks and simple snacks at a very reasonable cost. Also be sure to keep your language and behavior family friendly I look forward to hosting more events here so let's show them the good side of the Smash community. It's important to note this is a high traffic area so be sure to keep that in mind when your heading to and from the event. Be sure to like and follow their Facebook page by clicking the image below.

YouTube/Twitch Channel:
Our new YouTube and Twitch channel is up! For the first event here we will not be able to stream but you can usually catch us on Friday nights streaming anything from Smash to Street Fighter to anything we feel like. Of course we will be recording matches and uploading them to the YouTube channel (we really need to work on uploading them faster I know) sometime soon after the event.

Smash for Wii U Ruleset:

For the most part Smash 4 rules will run off of the standardized rules at this point for Smash and some of the Apex ruleset. However some of the bigger differences are a 3 stock 8 minute ruleset, allowing custom moves (not equipment) and allowing all Mii Fighters configurations (again no equipment.)

* 3 stock, 8 minutes.
* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
* Items set to “off” and “none.”
* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.
* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.
* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
* If the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon’s Side-B, Kirby/DDD/Wario’s Neutral-B, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins despite what the results screen says.
* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.
* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.
* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc.
* Custom character MOVESETS are allowed, but no Equipment. Mii characters are allowed, but still no equipment.

Stage List:
The selection is based off of the Apex 2015 ruleset with some slight differences. First, Guar Plain or Palutena's Temple (They are both essentially the same so determine which one you will be using before hand) will be used in place of Final Destination. Final Destination, while it may not bother some, has that flash of bright light that can be incredibly distracting to some players, me included, so I feel it has no business in the stage selection. Second, Omega stages are counted separately from the FD selection. So if your opponent bans Palutena's Omega you do have the option of picking any other Omega stage still as a Counter-Pick. There are 2 stage bans.

Starters:
Available on round 1 and every other round after that
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Guar Plains/Palutenas Temple Omega (Replaces Final Destination)

Counter-Picks:
Only available after round 1 and can be selected by the loser
-Halberd
-Lylat Cruise
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Duck Hunt
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Town & City
-Omega Stages (Treated separately from Final Destination if FD banned Omega Stages are not)

Custom Movesets:
All character custom movesets are allowed in any configuration you want. However, you must inform your opponent of any changes to your special moves if they ask. You do not have to go into detail on what the move does just inform them what you have changed. For example: I am playing Samus, I select a custom moveset, my opponent asks what changes I have, I will tell him/her: (You can also just simply show your opponent the bottom screen of the specials selection on your your 3DS as well)
Standard 2-Dense Charge Shot
Side 2-Relentless Missle
Up 1-Screw Attack
Down 2-Slip Bomb
Any other information you wish to put out there is up to you. I suggest we all educate ourselves on the custom moves.

Something else important with a custom moveset selection. It will be treated the same as a character selection:
Round 1: Double blind option or just sit down select and play
Round 2+: Loser selects stage choice>Winner selects character and moveset>Loser selects character and moveset
Thanks to the connectivity between the 3DS and the Wii U you may connect and transfer your custom movesets to the system. Be sure you have your custom movesets prepared before starting your set and transfer all that you want before you start. Once the set has started you cannot connect your 3DS again to transfer alternate movesets. If you do not have a 3DS or all your desired customs unlocked on your cartridge you can get with me BEFORE your set starts and make a custom moveset using my 3DS since I have all customs unlocked.

Custom Equipment:
No custom equipment will be allowed. These things change like attack power, weight and speed of the character. Since the options are so vast and there really would be no way to prepare yourself for every option available it is best to outright ban it all. Sorry if you like your equipment but it can and does alter the way the game functions so no luck. This does not include the hats or outfits on the Mii Fighters since that's a separate option entirely and changes nothing about the characters attributes.

Mii Fighters:
Mii Fighters are available to be played in any configuration you want. I know there is a lot of things you can do with the size of your Mii and stuff that actually effect how it will perform but as far as I can tell these are minute changes. Similar to custom movesets, if your opponent asks to see your move selections simply tell them or show them the bottom screen of your special moves selection. Again no equipment allowed on your Mii Fighters.

Project M Ruleset:

For everything except the stage selection we use the Apex 2014 ruleset, including character selection and stage striking. However, we will be using a new stage list I've been working on with other TO's in the region. Since the Apex site no longer has the rules up here's a link if you are unfamiliar: PROJECT M RULESET

Project M Stage List:
This is the stage list the NC TO's have settled on but with one change to my stagelist, swapping Yoshi's Story for Green Hill Zone as a Starter. 2 stage bans.

Green-Starter/Neutral Stages
These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Green Hill Zone
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Smashville
-Battlefield
-Dreamland 64

Yellow-Counter Pick Stages
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
-Warioware Inc.
-Final Destination
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain Of Dreams
-Norfair
-Distant Planet (Doubles Only)
-Lylat Cruise (Doubles Only)

Red-Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory.
-Everything on Page 2
However, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Rainbow Cruise and you agreed to it.

Smash 64 Ruleset:

For Smash 64 I run things slightly different then the standard Apex ruleset. I added Hyrule Castle as a Counter-Pick to have some more stage diversity. If you are unfamiliar with the basic rules of this game you can find them here: SMASH 64 RULESET

Smash 64 Stage List:
Like I said Hyrule Castle has been added to the stage list, however now having 4 available stages allows you to have 1 Counter-Pick ban but still no DSR.

Starter/Neutral Stages
These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Dreamland

Counter Pick Stages
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
-Peache's Castle
-Hyrule Castle
-Congo Jungle

Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory.
-Everything else
However, if you and your opponent agree to it you can play on any stage you like. Just don't be salty if you loose on Saffron City and you agreed to it.

Project M Character Model/Texture Hacks:
Texture hacks are allowed upon request, if you have a certain texture you like just let me know and I can install it for you. Previously I have been completely against model hacks of any kind. However, seeing all these new alternate costumes in Project M 3.5 I don't think it's out of the question to throw a few in just for fun. Of course, nothing too extreme only changes that are more of an extension of the character themselves. For example this is my personal Phazon Suit Samus skin (screw that ugly Light Suit!) You can click the image below to go to Brawl Vault and find anything you could want to put into PM!

Music:
I love having custom music over my stages. For example one of my favorites is City Escape, a track that should have been in the game to begin with. If you have any requests for stage music just let me know and I will put it on. Yes Travis I know we need to work on combining our music packs.

Money Stuff:
Venue Fee-$5
-All proceeds go directly to Play It Again to help improve our gaming experience and the store.

Event Fee-$5 per tournament entry
-$5 will go into the pot for each event you enter. Active events are available for Project M and Smash for Wii U, and usually a side event that I will have people pick and vote on. This can be anything from Smash 64, Low Tier Melee, Doubles, ect.

The Payout-Depending on the entrants for the event, percentages of the pot will be broken up accordingly.

>40
-1st-60%
-2nd-30%
-3rd-10%

<40
-1st-50%
-2nd-30%
-3rd-15%
-4th-5 %

>10 (Usually only applies to Smash64)
-1st-70%
-2nd-30%

Final Words:
If you are in the Charlotte/Concord, or even the Carolinas area in general, come on out, have some fun, and enjoy playing some smash. If anyone was there and wants to give me any constructive criticism please let me know. I am all ears and I want to make these tournaments the best possible experience for you guys.

If you have any questions or need any information feel free to messages me on Smashboards or Frame Zero Gaming's Facebook page and be sure to follow Play It Again on Facebook. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Ironf1st

Smash Rookie
SO I might have a setup that I can borrow from a friend, I still have to confirm it, but I was wondering; some events have a thing that they do where if you bring in a full setup (i.e system, disc, and tv), they reduce the overall fee to get in, the most common one I've seen is where some events will actually wave the venue fee if you bring in a full setup. Do you think there might be anything of that nature possible for this? More and more tournaments have been doing this, so I guess I'm curious if you had anything of that nature planned, since nothing of the sort was mentioned in the OP.

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
What? Also you seem to like to throw money around. MM me in PM? Anyone want to MM in Wii U, I actually play that Game.
I am saying we can not make it 2 stocks just because it is slower paced then melee or PM. Also I am not moneymatching anyone at this tourney just at matthews smashers because I was asked to by three people.

NubS

Smash Rookie
Rly wish this tournament had melee i would come

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Rly wish this tournament had melee i would come
The next one will have Melee so don't worry. We alternate between Wii U and Melee at these events mostly cause the two scenes are different. Melee the competitive and older crowd, Wii U the more casual and new crowd. I keep PM cause it appeals to both the Wii U and Melee crowd, also the fact the big streamers aren't streaming it anymore gives us an opportunity to put out some nice content people will enjoy watching. I keep 64 every event as well since the turnout is usually small so it doesn't interrupt much and I want to help build our Smash 64 scene in NC.

Why no Melee? :(
Same reason I just mentioned above.

Why not do 2 Stock for Smash 4 instead of 3. If teams happen then 3 is the norm for that.
I just think 3 stock is the best way to go for Smash 4. I understand the norm is 2 stock but in my opinion that is a very unforgiving format that leaves no room for error even moreso then other games. With a game that's so new, and it my opinion poorly designed (that's another argument I will not get into,) I think it's unfair to have a stock count where you can't make a mistake. Just consider Brawl, a significantly slower game that could always run to time in a 3 stock ruleset but noone ever considered dropping it to 2 then. With the rage mechanic, people learning and understanding how to kill sooner, and improving their edge guarding games can run smoothly and quickly on a 3 stock ruleset. Also there's nothing really wrong with experimenting with different rulesets, that's why custom movesets and all Mii's are allowed (not that I've ever seen anyone use them but the option is there.)

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all been distracted this week. We got a Killer Instinct machine!!! and editing the videos from Fayettnam7 (I know I need to put them up already) Thanks and I hope to see you all there.

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
SO I might have a setup that I can borrow from a friend, I still have to confirm it, but I was wondering; some events have a thing that they do where if you bring in a full setup (i.e system, disc, and tv), they reduce the overall fee to get in, the most common one I've seen is where some events will actually wave the venue fee if you bring in a full setup. Do you think there might be anything of that nature possible for this? More and more tournaments have been doing this, so I guess I'm curious if you had anything of that nature planned, since nothing of the sort was mentioned in the OP.
The owner of the venue does not have anything of that nature planned. I do understand that's it's a nice incentive and I have done it at events I ran at the last location, but we have no plans for offering a discount for bringing setups. The main reasoning for this is we take all the money we make from the venue fees and but it back into improving the experience for everyone. I put the small amount FZG makes back into improving our stream setup so you guys can enjoy a nice stream and recordings. Play It Again puts their share into improving the venue overall, installing more outlets, getting powerstrips, and the most important thing of all, buy our own setups that can stay static at the location. Our plan is to eventually not have to have you guys bring anything but your controllers and have static setups always there for any event we can do. It will take some time (especially for Wii U setups and HDTV monitors) but improving attendance and taking those venue fees and putting them back into the venue. Thanks if you understand we're just trying to make this the best tournament series we can for all of us.

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
I will be going to this for sure, but I gotta say the suicide rule seems really silly.

I think they are fairly balanced as they are now (Bowser being the first to die since it's so easy to pull off and Ganon being second to die as it's a bit trickier, etc.) Making Bowser win for suiciding seems broken to me.

If there's a particular reason this was decided, could someone kindly explain?

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
As much as I want to, I can't go this time. However, great news for the next WiiU tourney. Not only do I feel confident that I will be there, but also by that time I should have all, or most, custom moves unlocked!

Foo

Smash Lord
Oh boy, here we go again....

ANYWHO... Calling out @MLSword to come to this tournament. He kept saying he was going to come and whoop me, but he still hasn't come. I need to send this man's space animals to the shadow realm.

I will be going to this for sure, but I gotta say the suicide rule seems really silly.

I think they are fairly balanced as they are now (Bowser being the first to die since it's so easy to pull off and Ganon being second to die as it's a bit trickier, etc.) Making Bowser win for suiciding seems broken to me.

If there's a particular reason this was decided, could someone kindly explain?
This is the way smash games have worked in the past. Things like ganoncides usually result in the ganon dying first (before PM patched it) so most tournaments ruled that the player who initiates a suicide move wins. HOWEVER, idk about the bowser one, that seems kinda dumb. I don't actually know what bowser side-b does in sm4sh, but if he just gimps you and dies first, that shouldn't be a win for him. I.E. If kirby inhaled a captain falcon and jumped to the bottom of the screen, but falcon mashed out and double jump stomped him, kirby shouldn't win because "falcon couldn't recover." Also, the bit about holding onto an opponent as platforms moves out of bounds... sm4sh pls...

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
In Smash 4, Ganon kills his opponent first when he suicides, but it's tricky to pull off and can result in a self destruct if executed improperly. Seems fair.

Bowser's side B is a grab which leads to a pretty high somersault, making it very easy to suicide. However, he dies first, which seems fair given how easy it is to pull off. You can do this on the ground or in the air, Ganon's can only be done in the air. Also, Ganon's has to be done close to the edge or off stage because there's not a lot of pull to it. Bowser's could be done in the middle of the stage because he can travel some distance with that somersault flip.

Although the opponent has some influence in the direction Bowser goes, it's too easy to pull off and I could see someone winning the tournament doing nothing but spamming that move, lol. I guess we'll see how it turns out, but I'm gonna be pretty salty about it if it happens.

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
I removed the Bowsercide cause you guys made good arguments. However I will not change the stock/time ruleset as I personally believe this is the best way to play the game competitively. The stage list is also going to stay since the EVO stage list is limited thanks to music licenses a problem we don't have.
@ Kevdo Kevdo @ Foo Foo

Last edited:

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
I removed the Bowsercide cause you guys made good arguments. However I will not change the stock/time ruleset as I personally believe this is the best way to play the game competitively. The stage list is also going to stay since the EVO stage list is limited thanks to music licenses a problem we don't have.
@ Kevdo Kevdo @ Foo Foo
I have no quarrels with stages or the ruleset, just the Bowser thing. Thanks for hearing me out on that, I can avoid the salt for now, haha.

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of people would like to see it happen. If not though, we can always play friendlies doubles.

marvin the best

Smash Cadet
Are there TVs available? I can bring a setup and TV but it would be more convenient if there were a few TVs available? And what's the venue fee?

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Are there TVs available? I can bring a setup and TV but it would be more convenient if there were a few TVs available? And what's the venue fee?
There are a few TV's on site but no HDTV setups for WiiU so any setup you can bring would be appreciated. Venue fee is $5 with a $5 fee per event.

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
If I brought a wii u setup, would it waive my venue fee?
They don't have plans to do so, unless it's changed in recent days, but here was the response given to the question earlier in the thread:

The owner of the venue does not have anything of that nature planned. I do understand that's it's a nice incentive and I have done it at events I ran at the last location, but we have no plans for offering a discount for bringing setups. The main reasoning for this is we take all the money we make from the venue fees and but it back into improving the experience for everyone. I put the small amount FZG makes back into improving our stream setup so you guys can enjoy a nice stream and recordings. Play It Again puts their share into improving the venue overall, installing more outlets, getting powerstrips, and the most important thing of all, buy our own setups that can stay static at the location. Our plan is to eventually not have to have you guys bring anything but your controllers and have static setups always there for any event we can do. It will take some time (especially for Wii U setups and HDTV monitors) but improving attendance and taking those venue fees and putting them back into the venue. Thanks if you understand we're just trying to make this the best tournament series we can for all of us.

Top Bottom