• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Feb 22, 2014] RESULTS - "SUBURB SMASH 1" presented by WCG (Lisle, IL)

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
**EDIT**

Results have been posted for this event, and can be found here:
http://challonge.com/ss1meleesingles
http://challonge.com/ss1pmsingles
http://challonge.com/ss164singles

The brand spankin' new, up and coming Windy City Gaming for the Chicagoland area is bringing you their first tournament in their Super Smash Bros. series! WCG will be hosting the event OFFICIALLY at Benedictine University on 2/22/14.

Venue:
Benedictine University
5700 College Rd.
Lisle IL 60532
Krasa Student Center - 2nd Floor
Room C

Registered Contestants (as of 2/21): 43
Date: February 22, 2014
Game: Super Smash Bros. Melee, Project M, Smash 64 (if minimum requirements met)
Format: Singles + Doubles
Fees: $6 (venue), $10 (per participant, per tournament entry)
Payout: 1st 50% / 2nd 35% / 3rd 15% for ALL events

All tournaments will follow Apex 2014 rules. These can be found here:
https://www.apex-series.com/rules/melee/
https://www.apex-series.com/rules/projectm/
https://www.apex-series.com/rules/smash64/

All participants must have their own controller. Wired controllers are preferred, and will NOT be provided. All wireless controllers MUST be checked in and kept behind the registration desk. Wireless controllers will NOT be allowed in friendlies while tournaments are in play. Wireless controllers are only allowed in tournament play WITH OPPONENT'S APPROVAL. Bring at your own risk.

**All those bringing a CRT, console, and game will receive half off their venue fee**
**ALL PARTICIPATING IN PROJECT M SHOULD TRY TO BRING THEIR OWN SD CARD**

Pre-register via our Facebook event page, and register via Google Docs. Willing to hear suggestions/ideas, as well as answer any questions of yours here on SmashBoards! We are aware our tournament is the same weekend as Shuffle, but hopefully a new champion emerges from ours and creates some drama for the next tournament in our series!

Food options include Coal Ben--a bar/pub/restaurant located on Benedictine's small campus, and it will be open all night!

Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1456551447892244/
Registration: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ue&formkey=dDBQTEx2VTdleVFrc1ROOGx4YU9Tbmc6MA

Last edited:

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
This is about 5 minutes from my house. If you guys need any help setting up or taking down, just let me know and I'd be more than happy to help.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Will you guys be coming? Make sure you register on the Google Docs page if you are!

Thanks for your interest guys!

Blitzkrieg Deity

Smash Rookie
I knew exactly where this was since I was very little (when I actually lived in Lisle).

Only problem is, I don't find out whether or not I work that weekend until about a week or so before the date. Is it okay to sign up that late once I'm sure I can actually make it.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I knew exactly where this was since I was very little (when I actually lived in Lisle).

Only problem is, I don't find out whether or not I work that weekend until about a week or so before the date. Is it okay to sign up that late once I'm sure I can actually make it.
Yes, that's fine.

And since we're bumping this thread, PLEASE register for this event here if you plan on coming:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ue&formkey=dDBQTEx2VTdleVFrc1ROOGx4YU9Tbmc6MA

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
You say bring wireless controllers at your own risk. I play Project M on my Wii U with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk combination. I don't see how that would be a problem. The controller is not custom. It's a standard Wii Remote with a Nunchuk. From time to time I use a Wii Mote and Nunchuk that is made from Rock Candy. Mainly the Nunchuk. One of the only reasons I use it to be honest is because in order to start up Project M on the Wii U, you need to use a non-motion plus Wii Remote in the Project M menu to start up the game. I have 2 Wii Remotes but they both have Wii Motion-Plus built-in. So I use the Rock Candy version to start up the game. It's irritating having to disconnect and reconnect the controllers constantly so usually I'll stick with the Rock Candy Remote. Incase someone wants a reference:

http://gamersarcadia.com/index.php?...ntrol-stick-review&catid=43:reviews&Itemid=60

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
That's a difficult thing to use for competitive play.^
I assume so. But I've grown used to it. Personally with a few control tweaks I've come to like it. I use the d-pad on the Wii Remote as the c-stick and the c button on the nunchuk is my grab. The shield button actually feels much more precise when compared to the triggers on a GameCube controller. I love the GameCube controller don't get me wrong. But I can hold my own very well with these controls. I'll introduce myself at the tournament there.

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I assume so. But I've grown used to it. Personally with a few control tweaks I've come to like it. I use the d-pad on the Wii Remote as the c-stick and the c button on the nunchuk is my grab. The shield button actually feels much more precise when compared to the triggers on a GameCube controller. I love the GameCube controller don't get me wrong. But I can hold my own very well with these controls. I'll introduce myself at the tournament there.
Honestly, we don't have a problem with you using it. However, if an opponent had an issue with you using it and makes that clear to you PRIOR to your match starting, you will be forced to use a gamecube controller.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Registrants as of now:
Smash 64 - 2 players
Melee Singles - 4 players
PM Singles - 8 players
PM Doubles - 1 team

We need more players, so make sure you register!

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Registrants as of now:
Smash 64 - 2 players
Melee Singles - 4 players
PM Singles - 8 players
PM Doubles - 1 team

We need more players, so make sure you register!
Sounds good. I don't understand why someone would have a problem with it. I feel like someone would think I'd be an easy opponent because they wouldn't see me as a threat using a Wii Remote and Nunchuk. That's fine by me but honestly I don't understand why someone would disagree unless it were finals and they were trying to turn the advantage in their favor. But I agree to the terms. It's a risk I'm willing to take. I'll sign up. You can count on seeing me there.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Update on registrants (as of 2/11):

Project M Singles - 11 participants
Project M Doubles - 1 team

Melee Singles - 8 participants
Melee Doubles - 1 team

Smash 64 Singles - 2 participants

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
My bad if I seem to be spamming the thread. But one more thing. I have an SD card with Project M I was planning to bring. The music is different for some stages(which is okay). There are 3 texture differences. Pokemon Stadium 1 has a different background, WarioWare, Inc. is Temple of Time, and Battlefield is the melee version of Battlefield. These are only aesthetic changes. Is this okay for tournament play?

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
changing battlefield to melee battlefield is definitely more than an aesthetic change, the ledges act differently

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
changing battlefield to melee battlefield is definitely more than an aesthetic change, the ledges act differently
From what I can see though, it's just a re-skin of the melee version over brawl's battlefield. Do you mean as in using the bottom of the map to wall jump back up? I got the texture from a pack of a Project M staff member. If I can't use my SD card it's fine. I'm sure there will be plenty of others bringing theirs as well. But I was just curious. If you'd like to see, the three texture changes come from Calabrel's Custom 3.02 Project M build.

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Do you know what building and room the tournament will take place in or is that still being determined?
Building: Krasa
Room: C
The venue looks pretty nice, so it should be a good time. I was just notified of the room yesterday, so I apologize for the wait.

Are there walk-ins to this?
Yes there are walk-ins, although with everyone wanting to know how many participants there are, we prefer you sign-up via our google docs page. But I'm beginning to understand the Midwest doesn't like to register beforehand.

From what I can see though, it's just a re-skin of the melee version over brawl's battlefield. Do you mean as in using the bottom of the map to wall jump back up? I got the texture from a pack of a Project M staff member. If I can't use my SD card it's fine. I'm sure there will be plenty of others bringing theirs as well. But I was just curious. If you'd like to see, the three texture changes come from Calabrel's Custom 3.02 Project M build.
Music changes I am okay with. Texture changes are a little risky in my opinion. I'd rather not deal with them at all. Hope you understand. You're more than welcome to bring the card for friendlies though!

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Building: Krasa
Room: C
The venue looks pretty nice, so it should be a good time. I was just notified of the room yesterday, so I apologize for the wait.

Thank you for letting me know. Much appreciated.

Music changes I am okay with. Texture changes are a little risky in my opinion. I'd rather not deal with them at all. Hope you understand. You're more than welcome to bring the card for friendlies though!
I'll do my best to alter the SD card so that it is the APEX 2014 build before next Saturday. If I cannot I'll still be happy to bring it for friendlies. I'm unsure if there will be multiple stations at once for tournament brackets or what not. But I hope it's fine if I play on another persons' Project M copy if I can't alter it in time. The community seems real nice so far so I wouldn't see why not. Thanks again for the quick responses.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I'll do my best to alter the SD card so that it is the APEX 2014 build before next Saturday. If I cannot I'll still be happy to bring it for friendlies. I'm unsure if there will be multiple stations at once for tournament brackets or what not. But I hope it's fine if I play on another persons' Project M copy if I can't alter it in time. The community seems real nice so far so I wouldn't see why not. Thanks again for the quick responses.
Don't bother altering it. We won't need it for the tournament or anything I don't think.

CÁT Rose

Smash Rookie
Totally going to this I'm new to the tournament scene this will be my first !!!

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Update on registrants (as of 2/15):

Melee Singles - 11 players
Melee Doubles - 2 teams

Project M Singles - 16 players
Project M Doubles - 2 teams

Smash 64 Singles - 4 players

Last edited:

CÁT Rose

Smash Rookie
Think we could get a list of registrants up to date I'm pretty sure I'm in though

CÁT Rose

Smash Rookie
Update on registrants (as of 2/15):

Melee Singles - 11 players
Melee Doubles - 2 teams

Project M Singles - 16 players
Project M Doubles - 2 teams

Smash 64 Singles - 4 players
How many people are needed for each event to make a bracket

azzucips

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azzucips
3DS FC
1461-6305-7845
For the earlier WiiChuk stuff, the WiiChuk hinders a (small) part of your game due to all the buttons being digital.

This means that if you try to L-cancel something and get knocked down, you're pretty much guaranteed to miss your tech.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Update on Registrants (as of 2/17):

Project M Singles: 20 participants
Project M Doubles: 3 teams (?)

Melee Singles: 17 participants
Melee Doubles: 3 teams (?)

Smash 64: 5 participants

We have changed Smash 64 bracket participant minimum from 8 to 6.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Yes there are walk-ins, although with everyone wanting to know how many participants there are, we prefer you sign-up via our google docs page. But I'm beginning to understand the Midwest doesn't like to register beforehand.
I think this is a little backhanded... Here are some facts;

There are at least 3 cars travelling out of state at least for Shuffle in Ohio the same day as this event.

The rest of our strong players will be taking at least another 2 cars to St Louis this same day as well due to other regional big names from MO/Kansas being there.

This is your first tournament being run in the Chicagoland area.

Expecting numbers like what EXP gets takes time and dedication. Ask the owner of EXP how long it took before he had hundreds of preregistration responses and a large following.

Top Bottom