• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South [Feb 20, 2016] Midstate Massacre 6 (Now Melee Only!) (Charlotte, NC)

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman

Here it is everyone! This will be the last Midstate Massacre, and probably my last attempt at running a tournament of this scale. The first MSM was during my first semester here at UNCC, and now this is my last. We've come a long way, had some crazy experiences, made some mistakes, and learned a lot- I really hope everyone comes out to make the last MSM the best one ever by far!

To contact me: 828.577.5503 - Facebook - or just message me here on smashboards

Facebook Event Page

Preregister now!

Location/Parking
UNCC Cone Center - Lucas Room
9201 University City Blvd,
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
UNCC on google maps
Campus map
Parking map

If you're using a GPS with google maps, type in "cone center" instead of "uncc" for the most direct navigation. If you are unable to do that I encourage you to look at the maps above ahead of time.
On campus parking is free on weekends (10:00 PM Friday - 8:00 AM Monday). On the map you can see the parking decks right next to Cone Center. This is the easiest place to park.

Note: there is an ATM in Cone.

Events, Entry Caps, Rules
Melee singles and doubles will use Apex rules

Melee doubles: 32 team cap
Melee singles: 100 man cap

Time constraints for handwarmers and counterpicking (all events):
Handwarmers are allowed before the set starts (not between matches), and are restricted to 60 seconds. Watch the clock, quit out when a minute has passed.
Time between games for counterpicking is limited to 90 seconds. If the counterpicking player has not announced their intent on character switching and stage choice before 90 seconds have passed, their opponent holds the right to start the next match on the stage that was struck to at the beginning of the set, in which case the loser of the last match is character locked.
I realize that these rules will be difficult for TOs to enforce, and the situations they concern are unlikely to frequently present a problem. It is still important to have them in place, to be enforced when necessary, for the sake of completing the event on time. I'm trusting the players here to conform to these rules and counterpick in a timely manner. If your opponent is obviously taking too long or if you suspect they might, please remind them of these rules, watch the clock, and try to get a witness if you think the situation will need to be brought to a TOs attention for the rule to be enforced.

Format
Doubles will be a straight double elimination bracket.

Singles will be round robin pools into a final bracket and an amateur bracket. How many players make it out into which bracket will be determined based on number of entrants.

Schedule, DQ and Late Arrival Policy

Doubles will start at 1:00 and run until approximately 3:00.

Pools will begin as doubles is coming to a close. Singles entrants should plan to be in the venue between 2:00 and 3:00 for an announcement about pools.

APPROXIMATE schedule:
11:00: doors open, check-in and registration for all games begins
12:30: Melee doubles registration/check-in ends
1:00: Melee doubles
2:30: Melee singles check-in ends
3:30: Melee singles begins
3:30-5:00: Pools wave 1
5:00-6:30: Pools wave 2
7:00: Final bracket

DQ Policy
Straight bracket: a 10 minute DQ timer will be started if you cannot be found when your match is called.

Pools: a 10 minute DQ timer will be in effect if you cannot be found for check in at the start of your pool. An extremely strict 5 minute DQ timer will be in effect if you cannot be found at any point during your pool after checking in.

Late Arrival Policy
If you are preregistered and find that you might not be able to arrive until after check-in for your event starts, you will still be placed in the tournament if and only if you contact me before the cutoff time. If you preregister and do not check in on time, you will not be entered unless you contact me.

Fees/Payouts
$10 singles entry
$20 doubles entry per team ($5 per person)

$10 venue fee:
$5 off for preregistering
$5 off for bringing a full setup
$3 off for bringing a partial setup (TV OR console + game)
(discounts apply regardless of if your setup is used)

I really don't want anyone to pay the full venue fee, definitely not more than $5. Preregister!!

<16 Entrants
1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%

16-32 Entrants
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
4th: 10%

33-64 Entrants
1st: 45%
2nd: 20%
5th: 5% each

> 64 Entrants
1st: 40%
2nd: 20%
5th: 5% each
7th: 2.5% each

Dining
On Campus:
Student Union (5min walk) 1st floor:
Wendy's (10:30 AM - 12:00 AM)
Bojangles (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
Outtakes (snacks, sandwiches, etc.) (10:30 AM - 12:30 AM)
Off Campus
Smoothie King
Cookout
Chipotle
IHOP
Delivery
Jimmy Johns is a great choice if you don't want to leave the venue

Last edited:

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Dang that sucks. I wish I could help run PM or something. Don't know if I wanna go for Melee only :(

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Alright I finally got some info up. The format section is probably the most notable, I'd love to run RR pools at this. Prereg link will be up later.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
No Sm4sh tho? Not tryin to drive that far just for melee.

Last edited:

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Venue change! We've had to relocate from the union to Cone center. I believe the Lucas room in cone is actually more accommodating for us- the trade off is that there is no food in the building. With union just a short walk away and plenty of time to get food during alternate pool waves I think this will work great.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Prereg is up! You have until 10:00AM the day of the event to fill it out, and you can view/edit your responses as many times as you like after submitting the form. In order to do so you'll need to make sure you provide your real email address.

Top Bottom