• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fears

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
death, but not really death itself so much as the fallout around dying and being afraid that i won't have enough time to do everything i want.
people i know dying
mosquitos
spiders
living without love or joy
never being able to be proud of myself
never being good enough
never having peace in my life
debilitating injury
most animals, really
pick-up trucks
not being a good cook :(

Yogurt

Smash Cadet
My biggest fears:

1: Going to the dentist/orthodontis (I had braces on for the longest time) I really just dislike the smell, and the pain that can come with it and all, and I'm just super scared of losing my teeth in general as well, thats why I floss a lot and all so that I never have to go there again.

2: Not being successful/remembered, I guess this is something a lot of people experience but what people consider successful really ranges. I think for me it would be the fear of not amounting to much within my own craft, ugghhh I prolly sound super silly saying this but I really want to get at least some level of recognition for artistic abilities while I'm alive to see it. So maybe it's more of a fear of not being remembered that gets to me.

3: Being a victim of hate crime: ok I'll be honest, as much as I feel my city is a pretty chill place and all, I get worried sometimes when I walk home at night by myself or something, especially when I'm not downtown, cus my style tends to be more on the strange alternative side. I've had mean stuff yelled at me before because of something I was wearing -.- (though I get more compliments than negative) . I don't really get that happening much anymore since I'm downtown most of the time but it's still something that worries me, and it sucks boogers -.-

4: Getting abducted by aliens/ seeing a ghost or something at night..... ok this is a little silly maybe, but what if? ya kno?.....tho nothing ever happens yet I have a hard time going to sleep sometimes....it's funny tho because I love watching horror and sci films and documentaries on paranormal phenomena.....

Slurzen

Smash Cadet
What are some of the fears you have? Simple.

My biggest fear is outer space, the big black mass of unknown. What is actually out there? We'll never know for a long time. Disease, aliens, what?
I fear loneliness. I fear being forgotten. I fear being disliked, I fear screwing up. I am scared of what the future could hold because i'm not ready in the slightest. And I guess big bugs scare me, but you know.
getting 4stocked

mcpon

Smash Journeyman
I have Acrophobia as well , but I'm not afraid of worms. Other insects like moths, spiders and stinkbugs on the other hand....
Used to be afraid of bees. Spiders like tarantulas freak me out.

I have a terrible fear of aging (aka gerascophobia) and obesophobia (the fear of getting fat). I probably have one more but can't think of it at the moment. For the longest time I couldn't go down an escalator because of my fear of heights, and the optical illusion.
I have agoraphobia too. I have some unidentified fears, though, which makes me paranoid about what will trigger anxiety because I don't know what the fears are.

Burgy

Minion Lover <3
NNID
BurgySama
3DS FC
2766-9016-5287
Im scared that there will be a day when no one wants to play melee with me anymore :T then what do i do. i don't wanna grow up.
Most likely won't happen pal, don't worry about that one :)

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
Home invasion is up there. Some existential stuff scares me, especially when it has to do with thinking about the universe and how crazy world destroying stuff happens all the time and is very unforgiving. When you're bored on the internet and research stuff like Vacuum Metastability Events, Gamma Ray Bursts, and Grey Goo it tends to scare the crap out of you at first.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I have nyctophobia. Those of you who know me could probably guess why. Though they say a phobia is an irrational fear, I think my fear is completely justified. Anyways, whatever, that is what I am afraid of.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
My only major fear at this point in life is for the safety and well being of my family. I've had horrific nightmares of tragedies involving my parents. Sometimes I'd wake up with tears running down my face all sweaty n ****. Then I'll go check on them to see how they're doing.

Like this morning on my way to the bus stop an ambulance with its sirens blaring and a firetruck went down the street from which I came. (Keep in mind it hasn't even been 10 minutes since I left) I was having a small panic attack and I ended up calling my mom to check if they were alright. Then I remembered that there's a lot of old sick people living in my neighborhood.

Just overly tense I guess.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Im scared that there will be a day when no one wants to play melee with me anymore :T then what do i do. i don't wanna grow up.
I used to fear this as well, especially when Brawl came around (but I knew it would outlast).

I wonder how far Melee will go, right now it's already reaching legendary status with how long it's been alive. Now it's actually thriving 14 years later breaking FGC records. I wonder if it will be the longest running console competitive game of all time?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I might as well give in my manlihood now.

I am scared of bugs.

Like, flies make me uncomfortable. Flies. The small, harmless creatures that don't even live for a few days.

Oh, don't get me started on spiders. There was a large red and white one with brown spots crawling down my bathroom wall. It was pretty big too.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I fear being alone my whole life.
I fear being a nobody to everyone.
I fear being unintelligent.
I fear being powerless to change anything.
I fear dying and not existing.
I fear for the future of myself and mankind as a whole.

Those are pretty much it. I guess I'm afraid of heights but I know I can beat that easily so it isn't really a "fear." I wish all my fears weren't so depressing. :urg:

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I'm scared of many things.
  • Insects are definitely one. Especially when they're big and they flap their wings like moths.
  • Mice and rats are another one. I really don't know why and I've only seen them like once or twice. Yet, for some reason, Hamsters or even the electric mouse Pokemon, Pikachu don't trigger this fear.
  • Snakes too. The sound that some of them make can send chills up my spine.
  • Actually, a lot of small animals freak me out.
  • I also fear being forgotten or disliked. That can keep me awake all night.
  • Speaking of sleeping, I hate sleeping in the dark by myself. I need some kind of nightlight or a friend.
  • I also hate growing up. I kinda gotten used to it, but it still kinda scares me.
I have many more fears, but this is all I can list for now.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
Those brownish green, black looking JUNE BUGS! I will SCREAM at the top of my lungs and run as if someone has just pulled a gun on me.

They way how they fly and buzz around.....EW, just thinking about it gives me the jitters.

FairyGardens435

Smash Cadet
NNID
FAIRYWARS98
3DS FC
2810-1101-1258
I'm not even sure if my "fear" is really just a fear, or if I have some sort of vertigo problem.

Whenever I either go up a big flight of stairs, go up escelators, or look down from a high distance, I start to feel very dizzy/unsteady and have to hold on to something or someone. Just yesterday I was at a library in the city with my dad that just so happens to have a huge flight of stairs.

I can only describe the feeling as after you get "happy medicine" at the doctors, which makes you feel dizzy, lightheaded, and uneasy. That's the exact feeling I get when I go up stairs/escelators.

Probably making very little sense here, but I'm just unsure weather or not if this is just a fear or if I have vertigo as well.

I also hate certain types of bugs, like hornets, flies... EARWIGS. *shudder* In fact when I was about 3 I threw a screaming fit at Wendy's just because I had seen a fly in the window. Now I just hate that stupid buzzing sound they make.
Don't even get me started with earwigs. Just thinking about them makes me cringe.

Last edited:

StarlightRequiem

Local Blade Freak
3DS FC
2767-0840-7029
I have atelophobia, atychiphobia, and athagoraphobia.

Also known as the fears of never being good enough, failure, and being forgotten.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Rumors like the world ending get on my nerves. I'm not even religious.

It's like imagining someone with so much potential... Will never reach that potential because some tyrannical god decides to nuke everyone.

Those rumors are messed up, really.

Peff

Smash Cadet
Bugs
all bugs
there's ladybugs flocking to our bathroom
I'm petrified

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Dunno if it's a true fear, but I'm scared of falling. Which sucks because I love the feeling of ascending. Swings give me emotional whiplash. I'd say my most common nightmare is falling out of plane with no parachute, seeing the ground rushing towards me and knowing I will smack the ground, bounce, then lay there dead as a doorknob.

Also Butterflies. One crawled up my nose when I was 5. Freaked me out ever since

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I may or may not have a fear of the dark when I'm alone. It's nothing too serious, really. I just get more tense for some odd reason.

But has anyone ever considered that fears might derive from how you died in your past life, granted reincarnation is real?

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
But has anyone ever considered that fears might derive from how you died in your past life, granted reincarnation is real?
I don't generally accept or believe in any Post-Life theories, but the idea that I died from butterflies is disturbing and humourous

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
Knives. To be more precice, the fear of getting stabbed/sliced. The fear of the horrible, cold metal just gliding through flesh... bleah...

Bugs in general. Crawling all over the place...

The dark, especially when alone. I have to walk home from school late sometimes, and the path behind the school where I walk is SO DARK I literally can't see (Though they installed some lights for the football field and that helps). And there's all kinds of sounds from bushes and things, because there's rabbits and squirrels and stuff, but I can't help thinking I'm going to be murdered by a monster.

Last edited:

PlayfulMushroom

Smash Apprentice
1. Definitely drowning
2. Getting strangled by a snake. Like, getting crushed by an anaconda or python.
3. Scary things you can't see. Think Paranormal Activity, The Conjuring etc.

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
I guess fear of the unknown? Not that it's something I actually worry about. Just don't like when my perception doesn't pick up something that may be there, if that makes sense.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Dentists, Bees, Cadbury Cream Eggs (So much sugar for me to handle), And the glass shards around my room from a taco truck ornament. :nervous:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Darkness is a primal fear, so it's not surprising that I hate being left alone in the dark. It's just terrifying to be unable to see much at all, making you unaware of any hazards that might cross your path; even indoors, I hate it. Fearing the dark isn't really something to shun, it's just a facet of human evolution.

I also hate heights with a burning passion; and I mean really hate them. If I went to the top of the CN Tower, I'd probably faint or die of fright, and even just a small 5-foot drop scares me! Plus I never feel good if I'm high up; I tend to get nauseous when I'm high above the ground.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
1. Campy Fox players (lol)

The only thing that even comes close to a phobia for me is stinging insects (wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, etc). But I'm not that scared really, I just feel uneasy until I find the can of raid lol.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Being alone which implied that someone might come and try to kill me. It gets worse if I'm dying slowly at home by myself. Also not so harmless insects and animals.

Top Bottom