• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favourite Palette Swap for Kirby

KIRBY!!

Votes: 3 17.6%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I'm speculating that there will be some more alternate costumes. I'd like to hear some creative ideas for a Kirby Alternate costume.
Also, think of hit boxes if they were to be implemented as Link's costume still uses the same model but with different textures to probably keep his hit boxes the same.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think it is near impossible for Kirby to have an alternate costume. Mostly because the alternate costume would get in the way of his copy ability hats when he copies someone.

Wouldn't that look odd when Kirby transforms into a block though?
No. No more then usual anyway. He tucks his feet under himself and moves his arms in front of himself when he transforms. Depending on the size of the inner tube (I imagine it a little smaller then the picture to not alter his arm's movement and animation) it wouldn't get in the way of either.

A gif of it:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No. No more then usual anyway. He tucks his feet under himself and moves his arms in front of himself when he transforms. Depending on the size of the inner tube (I imagine it a little smaller then the picture to not alter his arm's movement and animation) it wouldn't get in the way of either.

A gif of it:
Oh....that makes sense. Well, I support this alternate costume, it seems to fit well with our Dream Warrior.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Shadow Kirby (his triple deluxe version) would be a cool alt.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Only colors are gonna work out. He moves his arms around too much for any alt. costume to properly work.

That said...

CARBON KIRBY MASTER RACE

Purple Kirby and Brown Kirby would be nice too.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I feel like a lot of characters will have alternate costumes you can only see if you buy the game (or look online the day it comes out! :p) however, I believe that Kirby will not have an alternate costume. Anything other than a palette swap is too contradictory to all of his accessories with his copy ability, which is really the main problem with it.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Waddle Dee palette swap. Bonus points if his mouth constantly remains closed unless he inhales.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Shadow Kirby (his triple deluxe version) would be a cool alt.
THIS. Shadow Kirby would be awesome. Reference to Kirby Fighters, Kirby Fighters Z, and Amazing Mirror. Shadow Kirby will be playable in Kirby Fighters Z as well. I'd really like to see this.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
THIS. Shadow Kirby would be awesome. Reference to Kirby Fighters, Kirby Fighters Z, and Amazing Mirror. Shadow Kirby will be playable in Kirby Fighters Z as well. I'd really like to see this.
Wouldn't this just be an alternate color for Kirby instead of an alternate costume?
P.S. Welcome to Smash Boards!

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Wouldn't this just be an alternate color for Kirby instead of an alternate costume?
P.S. Welcome to Smash Boards!
Not exactly if you think Dark Pit is just an alternate color for Pit. I mean the characters look the same but most fans of the franchise know from the exact color design that these characters are actually unique. As a fan I'd like it and get the reference. He could also just be labeled Shadow Kirby for those who don't get it.

Also thanks :D

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I was also thinking, what about some of Kirby's own hats from his games? He could sport cutter, stone, hammer, and fighter, suplex, yo-yo, since they make up his Melee smash moveset.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
What, no non-yarn prince fluff?
I can't say I'd be interested in a Prince Fluff alternate. I'd like something more representative of the Kirby series as a whole and I think something reflecting of his powers or reoccurring characters like Shadow Kirby would be better.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I'd be interested in a Prince Fluff alternate. I'd like something more representative of the Kirby series as a whole and I think something reflecting of his powers or reoccurring characters like Shadow Kirby would be better.
Problem is, though, you'd want to be able to be able to tell that it's an alt when he has copy abilities as well. With Prince Fluff, his eyes change and are able to remain a staple. Any copy ability hats from kirby games are out of the question due to changing hats. Shadow kirby is a simple palette swap. There aren't that many options.

Maybe a yarn kirby, if they can keep it readable. However, it might have to be made into a flat model, which may or may not mean extra work for the copy abilities

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Though what I shall mention are palettes, we seem to have little choice for anything else, as many posters explained. I would particularly like a periwinkle-like Kirby like the one on the western Kirby's Deam Land boxart. Also the paler, red footed palette from Dream Land 3.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Problem is, though, you'd want to be able to be able to tell that it's an alt when he has copy abilities as well. With Prince Fluff, his eyes change and are able to remain a staple. Any copy ability hats from kirby games are out of the question due to changing hats. Shadow kirby is a simple palette swap. There aren't that many options.

Maybe a yarn kirby, if they can keep it readable. However, it might have to be made into a flat model, which may or may not mean extra work for the copy abilities
I just don't see the possibility of a yarn Kirby. Especially since it's known that yarn Kirby CAN'T use powers or absorb enemies. Kirby doesn't have too many options so It'll probably end up being palette swaps for him. Which is honestly fine by me. There aren't too many canon other characters versions with abilities matching his. Prince Fluff doesn't even have any abilities resembling Kirby for him to be fighting like him. It'd just be so weird x_x

Maybe a retro Kirby instead could work? I dunno. This is a tough one cause I don't think Kirby's got any viable alts. I wouldn't be surprised or bothered if he's just got palette swaps.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Actually... if they just un-updated his appearance, he'd look radically different.

That was his N64 Smash artwork. He'd look less cutesy, unfortunately, but at least it's technically alt. material. They'd have to slightly change the location and size of his face. And he'd be a different shade of pink, and he'd have a black outline. Bonus points if they changed up his cheeks like that.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Gameboy Kirby is removed, So there will probably be one or Gameboy Kirby will return.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I would appreciate that colorful costume, Dr, Bran. That inspires a thought: It would've been fun if Kirby had that as the Final Smash. Kirby would inhale as many opponents as they could, and use strange, empowered combinations of their specials. It could be fun.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, I can't REALLY think of too many alts for Kirby. He generally just changes his color.

That being said, it would be pretty cool if some of the VERY unique costumes like Shadow Kirby and Hypernova Kirby made it in as well as some of the Spray Paint colors.

Kirby Squeak Squad had the following colors (and it pretty much covers the Amazing Mirror colors as well IIRC):

I take no credit for this image.

I wouldn't mind having some of these colors in addition to the Hypernova and TD Shadow Kirby. I could see a Pink Kirby followed with most (if not all) of the ROY G. BIV (maybe without the I) of Kirbies as well as the standard Chalk/GB Kirby and then have either the TD Shadow Kirby, the Hypernova (doesn't it swap through the colors of the rainbow?) Kirby, or maybe both. Carbon and Chocolate would always be welcome in my game (as well as pretty much any of the colors).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Shadow Kirby and Bandana Dee Kirby! *shield for Bandana Dee supporters*
Just like Daisy is a skin of Peach, I think Bandana Dee should be a skin for Kirby.
I don't see that character unique enough for being its own, sorry.
The bandana would disappear as Kirby copies an ability from an enemy, but the waddle dee like drawing around his face would remain.
The only difference would be the absence of the spear, but BWD never used his spear outside from KRTD, so I don't see that so necessary.
This way he would not waste a character slot, but would still be playable in the game.
A similar thing could be made for Marx as well, just like in Kirby Fighter Z (beam ability alternate costume).

Last edited:

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Shadow Kirby and Bandana Dee Kirby! *shield for Bandana Dee supporters*
Just like Daisy is a skin of Peach, I think Bandana Dee should be a skin for Kirby.
I don't see that character unique enough for being its own, sorry.
The bandana would disappear as Kirby copies an ability from an enemy, but the waddle dee like drawing around his face would remain.
The only difference would be the absence of the spear, but BWD never used his spear outside from KRTD, so I don't see that so necessary.
This way he would not waste a character slot, but would still be playable in the game.
A similar thing could be made for Marx as well, just like in Kirby Fighter Z (beam ability alternate costume).
Not that I'm a big Bandana Dee supporter but I want to make sure that you know that there are absolutely no character slots. All characters are picked and no one takes anyone's slot. Okay? Okay.

Next, this would be an absolutely horrible idea because Waddle Dees lack mouths. Waddle Dees cannot fly. They are shown to not have any real fighting experience outside of spear play (which is why the spear is beyond important to his character). It's either Bandana Dee gets in, or he doesn't get in. No way around it whether people like it or not.

The costume should make a speck of sense before it replaces an entire character.

As for costumes: Shadow Kirby and maybe Yarn Kirby. But we can't have Kirby have anything on his head or body because it might affect hitboxes and Kirby's general moves. It would have to be something that changes his whole body but not too much.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Not that I'm a big Bandana Dee supporter but I want to make sure that you know that there are absolutely no character slots. All characters are picked and no one takes anyone's slot. Okay? Okay.

Next, this would be an absolutely horrible idea because Waddle Dees lack mouths. Waddle Dees cannot fly. They are shown to not have any real fighting experience outside of spear play (which is why the spear is beyond important to his character). It's either Bandana Dee gets in, or he doesn't get in. No way around it whether people like it or not.

The costume should make a speck of sense before it replaces an entire character.

As for costumes: Shadow Kirby and maybe Yarn Kirby. But we can't have Kirby have anything on his head or body because it might affect hitboxes and Kirby's general moves. It would have to be something that changes his whole body but not too much.
I'd like to agree with you (especially on the part about there are not character slot), but I can't, not completely at least.
There were character refered only as alternate cstumes/color schemes in the past, like Daisy, and I'm sure that before Brawl, even Wario was refered by that Mario's color scheme.
It's happening again (Dark Pit), and they don't have to match completely the character, because they're just references.
My problem with Waddle Dee are: you're right about them having no fighting experience outside from the spear, and that's bad in my opinion, I don't want another Little Mac with spear instead of punches.
And, there are lots of better and more promitent characters from the Kirby franchise that could offer funnier gameplay and more unique special moves.

About the character slots. There are no character slots virtually, but in fact there are. The character select screen is designed so each player can select his character at the same time, so the whole roster has to appear in one single screen with understandable character icons and texts (at least, on WiiU). I did a roster prediction of 59 characters (+ random, 12x5=60 icons) and I tried to put it over the demo character select screen to see how it would look, and it's already very hard to understand what's written in the icons... the hand with the token is as big as 2 icons, so I thnk that they're already too many. In the character prediction, there were just 11 newcomers (they were 9 at first, but I added 2 for a better look of the screen, to be able to make the 12x5 table), and they are 1 newcomer for each big franchise (with small excceptions). It's obvious that there is a problem of quantity related to the character selection screen, unless they redesign it completely.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I'd like to agree with you (especially on the part about there are not character slot), but I can't, not completely at least.
There were character refered only as alternate cstumes/color schemes in the past, like Daisy, and I'm sure that before Brawl, even Wario was refered by that Mario's color scheme.
It's happening again (Dark Pit), and they don't have to match completely the character, because they're just references.
My problem with Waddle Dee are: you're right about them having no fighting experience outside from the spear, and that's bad in my opinion, I don't want another Little Mac with spear instead of punches.
And, there are lots of better and more promitent characters from the Kirby franchise that could offer funnier gameplay and more unique special moves.

About the character slots. There are no character slots virtually, but in fact there are. The character select screen is designed so each player can select his character at the same time, so the whole roster has to appear in one single screen with understandable character icons and texts (at least, on WiiU). I did a roster prediction of 59 characters (+ random, 12x5=60 icons) and I tried to put it over the demo character select screen to see how it would look, and it's already very hard to understand what's written in the icons... the hand with the token is as big as 2 icons, so I thnk that they're already too many. In the character prediction, there were just 11 newcomers (they were 9 at first, but I added 2 for a better look of the screen, to be able to make the 12x5 table), and they are 1 newcomer for each big franchise (with small excceptions). It's obvious that there is a problem of quantity related to the character selection screen, unless they redesign it completely.
The thing about the character select screen is that it is designed after the characters are chosen.

But aside from that, you are completely right.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'm surprised nobody has said this yet:

It looks like it would obstruct the hats in the artwork, but during gameplay the goggles are a lot smaller and way more workable.

The entire top of his head is left uncovered, so there's still room for hats with this.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Great idea! I second the goggles. Haha, that would be hilarious to see him wear those on top of the Samus helmet or R.O.B. eyes.

Last edited:

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
They can always make the other Kirby colors from air ride playable.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm surprised nobody has said this yet:

It looks like it would obstruct the hats in the artwork, but during gameplay the goggles are a lot smaller and way more workable.

The entire top of his head is left uncovered, so there's still room for hats with this.
Have you ever seen Kirby swallow Meta Knight or Shiek?

That said, either of those two with the goggles would be utterly hilarious.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Like someone said earlier, I want a Carbon Kirby Color scheme. I always thought that one was cool. It just stands out.

Top Bottom